renting bikes from Skagway to Dyea

runningradical

Yes I have done this ride several times. I rent as a walk up from Sockeye Cycle. There are some hills, I have, a few times walked up. :) The road is not paved, it's packed gravel. There is slow moving traffic that is variable, but in my opinion, this road is great for the bike rider.

Thank you for the info Budget Queen. We were going to rent the bikes from Sockeye cycle also. I was hoping the road wasn't to busy I don't like riding on roads with heavy traffic. Do you remember how long the ride took you round trip?

I had the bikes 4/5 hours. I stop all along the way, so I can't say was a round trip would be? It's 11 miles each way. So maybe you can figure out, how you want to ride?

Thanks again Budget Queen We do plan on taking stops along the way. We kind of wanted a rough estimate on how long it would take us so we can plan our day in Skagway.

Riding around Skagway and out to the Gold Rush Cemetery are also worthwhile. In my opinion if you are planning on doing something else, I would suggest you do that first, especially if a tour, then rent the bikes open ended. It's a mistake, to want to do something else, after bike riding, you have to get back for, since there is so much to stop at along the ride to Dyea, in both directions.

Edited by Budget Queen

Biking to Dyea is our main goal while in Skagway we are avid cyclists. If we have time I would like to see the Gold Rush Cemetery along with Lower Reid Falls and a possible hike to Lower Dewey Lake. Is it possible to ride to the Lake.

No you don't ride to the Dewey Lakes. It's an uphill switchback trail up, for hikers. Take a look at a map. Allow several hours, for the loop, of Lower Dewey.

It's a 30 minute detour, to stop at the Gold Rush Cemetery and the short Reid Falls walk.