First Time Cruising w Kids

lumofny

We've been on many cruises before but this will be the first since having kids. We are looking at something on the Dawn in late August of 2016. They'll be 4 and 5 then and (hopefully) will get something out of the experience. My wife and I never really payed any attention to the kids offerings on the ship aside from seeing kids in the kids pool. From the website it appears they offer a complimentary kids program while at sea. Is this indeed complimentary? Is tipping encouraged, allowed? Is the program offered year round or just on peak season sailings? I think the sailing we're looking at is considered off season but I'm not sure. Also, it looks like they have costumed characters on board. This isn't a make or break thing but I can't remember ever seeing them before when we sailed. Maybe its a recent thing?

Anyway, if anyone can offer any feedback or thoughts on the kids program for 4 to 5 year olds on the Dawn specifically, or on other NCL ships, that'd be great. I realize we're a year and a half out from our tentative sailing and lots of things can change in that time (staff in particular) but any advice or tips would be appreciated!

We've been using NCL's kids program since my kids were 4 and 6, on the Star, Dawn, and Gem. They're now 9 and 11, and they've loved the kids' program on every one of their cruises. We have two currently scheduled, both on the Dawn. IMO Bermuda is a great itinerary to do with younger kids.

Yes, the program is complimentary. There are a few time slots that incur an extra fee. If your child is at Splash Academy during mealtimes on port days, or if your child stays past 10:30pm, there's a nominal fee ($6/hr IIRC).

They do close for mealtimes on at sea days: 12-2 for lunch and 5-7 for dinner. We eat lunch together, and either we take the kids to dinner with us, or we feed them first, drop them off at Splash Academy and then go to dinner just after 7pm by ourselves.

On port days they're open all day, with the previously mentioned fees at mealtimes.

The Splash Academy runs year round. In August it'll be in full swing, as many kids are still on summer break. On off-peak sailings there will be fewer kids, so age groups might be combined, but that's not likely to happen in August.

Tipping is very much appreciated, but not expected. These staff do not get any part of the service charge. They are salaried. Still, with two kids using the kids' program, we tip the Splash Academy staff $50 on a 7-day cruise.

Here's a link showing the Dawn's Splash Academy scans for your kids' age group. It's from Jan 2014, and it's a different itinerary, but the activities will be very similar on your Bermuda sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41474949&postcount=10

Dawn does not have the Nickelodeon program, and I don't believe that'll change. We've never seen characters on the Dawn or Star.

Regarding the kids' pool: I think the kids' pool area on the Dawn and Star are really nice for younger kids. There are a couple of small slides (think playground size) into small pools, plus a larger pool. There's room for parents to hang out, and even a (not so hot) hot tub. But the bar staff don't tend to hang out there, so if you want drinks you'll be getting them yourself.

Edited by Pikaia

While not specific to your ship, I can tell you that my nephew really enjoyed the kids program on Pride Of America. He liked it so much, that he just wanted to go there and play with his new friends. He was around 5 at the time.

In summary, all I can say is that he thoroughly enjoyed it. While not very specific, it should give you some peace of mind.

We've been on many cruises before but this will be the first since having kids. We are looking at something on the Dawn in late August of 2016. They'll be 4 and 5 then and (hopefully) will get something out of the experience. My wife and I never really payed any attention to the kids offerings on the ship aside from seeing kids in the kids pool. From the website it appears they offer a complimentary kids program while at sea. Is this indeed complimentary? Is tipping encouraged, allowed? Is the program offered year round or just on peak season sailings? I think the sailing we're looking at is considered off season but I'm not sure. Also, it looks like they have costumed characters on board. This isn't a make or break thing but I can't remember ever seeing them before when we sailed. Maybe its a recent thing?

Anyway, if anyone can offer any feedback or thoughts on the kids program for 4 to 5 year olds on the Dawn specifically, or on other NCL ships, that'd be great. I realize we're a year and a half out from our tentative sailing and lots of things can change in that time (staff in particular) but any advice or tips would be appreciated!

WE did a family cruise about 4 years ago with our great granddaugher who was just turning 4. It was a great experience, she loved every minute of it; in fact she spent so much time in the kids program we didn't realize she was part of our family. The only problem we had at all; because the sleeping conditions are a little different and a little crowded she did start to have a meltdown the last couple of days. Still I am sure your kids will have a blast. I will add the same little girl is cruising with her mommy, grandma, and a few other family members next week. The best part, she has no idea she is going on the "girls cruise" I was supposed to go, but a new knee changed all that.

my kids were 4 and 6 and LOVED the kids program. they have activities for them and keep them entertained. My kids never wanted to leave. if you didnt pay extra/tip you'd find its a wonderful addition to the cruise. Its the reason we are cruising again this year as the kids wanted to do another cruise for the kids program. And we love it because its nice to have a fun place to drop off the kids and have some adult time to wonder the ship or eat a meal.

Honestly, our DS has enjoyed all his time in the kids' programs of all the lines. Now that he's a teen, it's a little different because he's not athletic or really outgoing. He ate all meals with us, in whatever venue we chose for the evening, then he would go to his program after dinner.

The one bit of advice I would offer is that if your kids are used to naps, please have them still take them. I think it's unreasonable to expect good behavior from a child when they are tired and out of their routine. We always took turns as to who would stay with DS in the cabin when he took naps. He/we got compliments on the fact that he was well-behaved. That was due to being well-rested (among other things).

Edited by GORDONCHICK

it looks like they separate kids @ the club depending on age. are they strict with this? we are considering booking with ncl but my kids will be 5 & 6 at time of sailing and i'm worried about them not being able to be together at the club.

We sailed on the Dawn last August and my youngest was six. I also had an 8 year old and a 10.5 year old. I will say that my kids really enjoyed the kids club and were always asking to go back when it was open and we were not in port.

You certainly can tip the Splash Academy workers.

No costumed characters on ship when we were there.

There are photos of the activities for Splash Academy in the review I've linked in my signature. My kids weren't in the group for 4-5 year olds, but the themes were the same for all groups.

My kids loved the kids' pool, even though the slides are not huge like some of the others. The T-Rex pool was my six year old's favorite part of the entire cruise!

Have fun!!

it looks like they separate kids @ the club depending on age. are they strict with this? we are considering booking with ncl but my kids will be 5 & 6 at time of sailing and i'm worried about them not being able to be together at the club.

Yes they are strict on it.

They are very strict and will not allow your children to switch groups. However, there are freestyle free play times listed in the splash academy schedule when they *may* be able to play together. I say *may* because our boys ran into the situation where they went to kids club to play together, only to find out the 3-5 year olds weren't allowed to mix with the 6-9 year olds because there were too many kids. Ask before you leave :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are very strict! My son was 2 weeks shy of turning 6 on our Breakaway cruise. He is very big and very mature for his age, was reading at 3rd grade level, always with other kids. My older son was 7. The kids club manager on board actually called Miami because even he thought he would be better in the 6 to 8 year old group but the answer was no, he had to stay in the 3 to 5 group. He only went twice, they were letting him be the "helper" for the "babies". Had I had the sense to look up the club age groups before booking, I would have booked two weeks later! LOL

Took the twins when they were 3 and they wouldn't let us leave them in the splash academy but they have great memories of the cruise. we are going again in March and they will be five, they are looking forward the splash academy activities and we are planning to tip tip $20 a day for both or $10 for half day or less for both