Dining room vs Lido deck food

the nurse

You're right, I didn't mean to insult anyone, and was tactless. My apologies. I can't seem to edit my post.

I would prefer more casual dining options on The Fun Ships, rather than what Carnival passes off as "fine dining" in the MDR which it's not, IMO. The food is the same, and the lido offers an atmosphere more appropriate for a fun vacation on a budget cruise line.

I give CCL 5 years until they make the MDR cabins and everyone has to eat at the Steak House or the Buffet.:p

Edited by fireofficer5

You're right, I didn't mean to insult anyone, and was tactless. My apologies. I can't seem to edit my post.

I would prefer more casual dining options on The Fun Ships, rather than what Carnival passes off as "fine dining" in the MDR which it's not, IMO. The food is the same, and the lido offers an atmosphere more appropriate for a fun vacation on a budget cruise line.

LDL,

Sincerely good to hear back from you. I am often the victim of my own words not really carrying my intent. :)

Take care and continue to enjoy cruising!

I would say its about the same, however if presentation is important go to dinning room. I was just on a cruise and I no longer can deal with the 2+ hour sittings for dinner. I went to the dining room two times out of the 12 nights. Anyway, girlfriend and I typically check the menu for the dinning room and then take a look at what's offered on Lido... we make our choice from there.

This is just my opinion, but I would avoid the lido dinner buffet if you like good food and service. In recent years, the quality of food has just gone downhill big time. Yeah, they have one or two decent things but it is nothing like what you will get in the main dining room in terms of quality or even variety. In the past yeah, it was almost comparable to what you could get in the mdr but not anymore. Cutbacks baby. I will stop by and get a piece of fish or a cup of soup just to hold me over until dinner sometimes if I am in the area but that's about it these days. It is way less formal however but the mdr isn't exactly what you would consider formal dining anymore, even on elegant night. As I said, that is my opinion but I would say I am not the only one who feels this way.

I am not a geriatric nor a wannabe and I rarely dress up to go to dinner in the mdr and I prefer it and the atmosphere to the lido buffet. I will put it this way. I have had times that I stopped by the lido buffet for an early dinner and there was not one thing of good quality or that I was interested in eating out there. Yeah, you can go to the lido wearing a tshirt and gym shorts but it's not like you have to get into a suit for the mdr anymore, even a golf shirt and slacks is optional. I don't consider it fine dining in the mdr either, as I detest "fine dining" and I consider myself a fine eater and don't like all the unnecessary stuff that comes with "fine dining." The food is usually good and plentiful and the staff is generally pretty good in the mdr. Yeah, it can take up to 2 hours if the whole table orders half the menu each night but it can be done much quicker if that is your desire.

I give CCL 5 years until they make the MDR cabins and everyone has to eat at the Steak House or the Buffet.:p

And that is when I, and a loooottttt of others will never set foot on a Carnival ship again. Just sayin'.

Not that Carnival would probably care either but still. Dining is a huge part of my and other peoples' cruise experience and making people choose between paying for a steakhouse and the garbage they consider the lido dinner buffet is not a good idea for them.

They might go the NCL route though and do away with set dining times, go all ATD and lower the quality of food offered and maybe increase upcharge dining options.