New to NCL... Breakaway booked this Sunday

Doc Rick

My wife and I have over 25 cruises under our belt - mostly with RC and Celebrity. We booked a last minute deal on the Breakaway - which includes the Ultimate Beverage Package. This cruise was half the cost of comparable cruises on Royal Caribbean from the northeast. Since this is our first cruise with NCl, I just wanted to know if anyone has advice for things like dining, entertainment reservations, etc.. on the Breakaway. 4 Days away...! Excited to try a new cruise line!

My wife and I have over 25 cruises under our belt - mostly with RC and Celebrity. We booked a last minute deal on the Breakaway - which includes the Ultimate Beverage Package. This cruise was half the cost of comparable cruises on Royal Caribbean from the northeast. Since this is our first cruise with NCl, I just wanted to know if anyone has advice for things like dining, entertainment reservations, etc.. on the Breakaway. 4 Days away...! Excited to try a new cruise line!

Welcome to Norwegian. Two big pieces of advice:

1) Book the big shows (Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, Cirque Dreams & Dinner) you want to see before you sail, if possible, for each night of the cruise. If not, book once you are aboard. Then do the same thing with your dinner reservations, especially if you are choosing specialty restaurants. Once you have those two pieces of the puzzle in place, do whatever you want when you want. It's Freestyle.

2) As much as you can, don't expect your cruise to be a Royal Caribbean cruise. It will be different. I just took my first Princess cruise and I had to tell myself the same thing: "You're not on Norwegian." :rolleyes: Of course, you will make comparisons.

Hopefully you will enjoy yourself. Find the places you like to hang out. Mine are Shakers Martini Bar and Spice H2O. Everyone seems to say good things about the Waterfront. Don't forget Headliner's and Fat Cat's. And then come back and tell us how it worked out. Cheers. :)

Checking the weather in 2 days agai & plan your trip timing up to NYC accordingly if necessary - mix of rain & snow, so could be icy on the go - even as newbie without status, MCT (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) has fine-tuned check in process to a science with logistics, even when it was running on generator power 3 years ago right after Sandy. Plan to arrive & go thru pier security by 10:30 am, join the "slow" regular lines for check-in as it will still be slow by organized - get a low "zone" or group # for boarding and sit back, relax and wait - restroom & drinking water (lemonade ??) available - and you should be onboard around 11:30 am if things are running on schedule.

Start your cruise vacation early, head for the open MDR or O'Sheehans for a sit-down lunch (plenty of time to hit the buffet later on) at no extra cost, okay to take along small hand luggage or if you are near your assigned stateroom, drop it off first - otherwise, your cabin should be ready by the time you are done with lunch. Take a nap or explore the ship a bit if you have the energy to exercise, get ready for the mandatory safety drill at 2:30 pm since sailing is 3 pm - starboard side for view of Statue of Liberty, best from top deck but it will be COLD, bundle up in layers -sorry, not NCL's fault.

Not all dining slots on day 1 are fully reserved and are blocked until pax are onboard, go to see the host/ess at the desk/podium designated and book it if necessary. BUT, there are plenty of table for 2 open - especially true if you do a walk-up at 5:30 pm (Taste & Savior at 5:30 or 6:30 with staggered hours) - eat lunch early & you are ready for the early bird ... many folks are still "full" from the big buffet lunch in the afternoon. Feeling hungry & not early to bed - room service is free (except late night to 5 am) and there's food in the buffet (see what I meant earlier) until midnight and O'Sheehans is open 24/7 for snacks, deck 7 FWD.

Don't get "stressed" out as even if you cannot book the big shows, it is repeated twice & possible to do walk-up and you go in once the no-shows are counted. Go with an open mind - many of us rather be on a cruise now instead of the long countdown - you are doing the single digit dance, rejoice !!

Our own favorite "hot" spot is "Shanghai Noodles Bar" deck 7 AFT - nice & hot bowls of soup are best, perfect for "snack" and in-between, with a nominal charge (offset by our generous OBC so it was free)

My wife and I are thinking about booking the march 26th 2015 Bermuda cruise, lots of information,good or bad,I think we are going to book it this weekend, give me a hot dog with a view and Iam happy.:D we did a four day on RCCL out of port Canaveral to the Bahamas in January,we had a great time, looking forward to this cruise.happy sailing.