Liberty out of san juan

oceanlvr1016

I'm looking at the itinerary of the Liberty Southern Caribbean leaving from San Juan. It says it sets sail at 10:00 p.m. on the first day. Are you still able to board earlier in the day? If so how early?:rolleyes:

You can start your check in at noon. It has varied but you can be on at 1pm and then get off and hang out until 7-8pm at San Juan.

We have sailed out of San Juan five times and boarding has varied just a bit based on clearing prior ship. Since we have had either a suite or platinum level, it allowed easier entry to get through first checkpoint at about 10:45-11:10am usually. From there went through getting our sign n'sail card and official boarding started at noon onto ship. San Juan is only ship I've been on that you go through scanners/security right before boarding.

Any questions feel free to ask here, I am happy to answer best I can. This June will be our third on this exact itinerary.

We have sailed out of San Juan five times and boarding has varied just a bit based on clearing prior ship. Since we have had either a suite or platinum level, it allowed easier entry to get through first checkpoint at about 10:45-11:10am usually. From there went through getting our sign n'sail card and official boarding started at noon onto ship. San Juan is only ship I've been on that you go through scanners/security right before boarding.

Any questions feel free to ask here, I am happy to answer best I can. This June will be our third on this exact itinerary.

can you tell me if you can still shop for duty free liquor at the terminal and put it in your carry on without worrying about it being confiscated?

can you tell me if you can still shop for duty free liquor at the terminal and put it in your carry on without worrying about it being confiscated?

Last time we were there, a few liquor shops at base area. There is also a very well stocked wine store on second floor you can purchase from while waiting to board.

From our experience- they do scan all items in carrry-on. They also opened our carton of soda to check contents. The people in front of us had items in a shopping bag and security zip tied with bright orange ties and told to "declare" at table next to entry into gangway before you ding your card. What I saw was give or take--some people took a bottle out of zip tied bag and put back into bag and then declared just one. Another covered band with their hand and ignored table. Your choice. Now my parents had just bought wine and put it in a rolling backpack they won in shop raffle. They never even batted an eye and opened bag. Luck of draw I guess.

I also read if liquor is bought in a duty free shop in town where they scan your ship ID, the ship has that info. Cannot verify if this is true or a myth.

When we have reboarded in ports with my large insulated commuter mug -it was never checked either. Hope this answers question. Yes store is there, do they care -not sure but go through motion.

I have previously cruised on the Victory out of San Juan. Our favorite port excursion was in Dominica - it included a hike through the rainforest, which ended at a beautiful, gigantic waterfall & lagoon. We were then able to swim in the lagoon & hiked back. We were greeted along the way with a lunch cooked by natives in a giant black kettle, within the rainforest.

This sailing in out of San Juan on the Liberty, but they have eliminated Dominica as a port of call. Does anyone have experience with excursions on other Southern islands that would be comparable? Difficult scenic hike with waterfalls, swimming?

Any advice would be appreciated!

We are looking forward to this in May. After checking in and dropping stuff off in your cabin are you able to re-board carrying a 12 pack of sodas?

We are looking forward to this in May. After checking in and dropping stuff off in your cabin are you able to re-board carrying a 12 pack of sodas?

Yes, we have done this many times. Finally got smart and brought the rolling backpack off ship instead of carrying items back.

We used to go to Walgreens, but bow for same prices there is a CVS closer.

If not familiar as exit ship it will be to the left of Senior frogs near pier 2. Can't miss Senior Frogs with big green frog hanging over entry.

We always bring back a flat of water and 12 pack of coke.

We found it best to get beverages after eating etc. and returning around four or later so do not have to wait in huge line of those just getting on ship. Make sure to bring ID and sign n' sail card with you. Also recommend bring CVS bright orange shoppers key chain card for member prices as they take the same card as your home state being a corporation. Saves you some $.

We are brisk walkers, and timed it as left ship cabin,shopped at CVS and back to ship security 45 minutes.

On our previous trip out of San Juan we did not bring any alcohol on board. It seems to be pretty lax from previous peoples posts? We would like to bring a 12 pack or so of beer & a couple bottles of wine. I don't want to bring all this in our luggage on the airplane though, so I'm guessing the CVS idea after boarding the ship would be easier?

Has anybody had a bad experience attempting to bring on alcohol?

Im having a Black Monday! the worst news for us here in San Juan...

opinions please Carnival its taking the Liberty out of San Juan and can you believe they sending us the Fascination :mad:

Where did you get this info? I hadn't heard that. Any idea when the switch is supposed to take place?

on departure day that CVS must be the most profitable locations on the planet ;-) Their volume is unreal.

You can make as many trips as you'd like off the ship for more provisions. The walk does get a bit long with armfuls of stuff. I do like the idea of taking my luggage back for the walk.

As for booze, it is buyer beware. I saw a ton of those duty free bags on the table people thought they were going to be able to take on board. Those people did not research. The tags from security are pretty lax, especially when there is a line, it just seems like they're trying to get people through. You could get as much wine through as you're willing to make trips at 2 bottles at a time.

The ship does sail late, and muster is late as well. Though it is a cool trip out of SJU at night and you still arrive early at the island the next day.

Where did you get this info? I hadn't heard that. Any idea when the switch is supposed to take place?

I'm a TA...here trust me! its Very very real...starting on 24 April 2016

Edited by ClCB0911

On our previous trip out of San Juan we did not bring any alcohol on board. It seems to be pretty lax from previous peoples posts? We would like to bring a 12 pack or so of beer & a couple bottles of wine. I don't want to bring all this in our luggage on the airplane though, so I'm guessing the CVS idea after boarding the ship would be easier?

Has anybody had a bad experience attempting to bring on alcohol?

Have not tried hard liquor a in recent years, nor beer. The water,soda is no issue. I know wine/champagne is at least one bottle, not sure if it was two. But if buy one on first entry from shop upstairs when go out again, could bring on another. If a port would allow it, this is the one.

I have previously cruised on the Victory out of San Juan. Our favorite port excursion was in Dominica - it included a hike through the rainforest, which ended at a beautiful, gigantic waterfall & lagoon. We were then able to swim in the lagoon & hiked back. We were greeted along the way with a lunch cooked by natives in a giant black kettle, within the rainforest.

This sailing in out of San Juan on the Liberty, but they have eliminated Dominica as a port of call. Does anyone have experience with excursions on other Southern islands that would be comparable? Difficult scenic hike with waterfalls, swimming?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I miss the biking excursion to ruin in Dominica. As far as hiking/waterfall etc. I recall reading a post I believe from aSt.lucia. I think they had a private guide who took them through streams,swimming etc.

Personnaly I know there are hiking trails in El Yunque rainforest that go to a waterfall and swimming. Would likely need to do prior to cruise or after though.

I miss the biking excursion to ruin in Dominica. As far as hiking/waterfall etc. I recall reading a post I believe from aSt.lucia. I think they had a private guide who took them through streams,swimming etc.

Personnaly I know there are hiking trails in El Yunque rainforest that go to a waterfall and swimming. Would likely need to do prior to cruise or after though.

think I found a perfect tour that will meet your needs. Local sites Tour,hiking rainforest,streams and swimming in a rainforest pool!

Just finished reading a Southern review of Valor + 2 days San Juan and she hired a private tour " myisland tours by Javin" in St.Kitts

This should link to her post about it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2155352&page=14

Just curious with the late ship departure if anyone has flown in on embarkation day? We have several people in our group from Southern California considering the redeye out of LAX arriving SJU before noon. Most flights connect through FLL and there are multiple flight options.. the first arriving SJU around 10am and the latest around 7pm. Not really sure what to think about this. Hubby and I have always flown in day before, but with the late departure are thinking about it.

Just curious with the late ship departure if anyone has flown in on embarkation day? We have several people in our group from Southern California considering the redeye out of LAX arriving SJU before noon. Most flights connect through FLL and there are multiple flight options.. the first arriving SJU around 10am and the latest around 7pm. Not really sure what to think about this. Hubby and I have always flown in day before, but with the late departure are thinking about it.

I've flown in the same day with all three of my cruises from San Juan. I've made it work every time, though I don't have to come from as far as Southern Cali. I wouldn't use a redeye because I don't like redeyes, but anything that is scheduled to put you on the ground by 6 should be all right. Your mileage may vary.