Africa cruise on Regent

Willlow

We have a cruise to South Africa planned on Regent and I am curious if anyone can make suggestions about their shore excursions? We will travel to Kruger before the cruise. Some of the excursions are complimentary and other have an additional fee. Or perhaps places that are a must see. Thank you.

Since South Africa is a country much better explored by land than by sea the best advice I can give you is to allocate as much time as you possibly can pre cruise. Try to go to at least two different camps divided between Kruger and Sabi Sand. Don't miss Cape Town and the adjacent wine country. I know it's a lot of time to tack on to a cruise but SA is not a place one typically returns to often, unless, like me, you find it the most magical spot on the planet.

wripro, we also feel that it is one of the most magical places on the planet!

Willow: We are doing the Cape Town to Cape town cruise but there are two others that stop there. Which one are you doing? The best place to ask your question would be on Roll Call. If you tell us which cruise you are on, I can give you a link to your Roll Call. We have been to Namibia and Cape Town previously. I agree with wripro about the wine country outside of Cape Town, but, depending upon how long you will be there, I could give another suggestion or two. Also have two very different (but wonderful) suggestions for Namibia (if you are going there -- not all of the cruises make that stop).

I would suggest Africa on a land vacation. We leave in May for three weeks and this will be our fifth.trip. Cruise lines cannot do it justice and we have been all over with the exception of East Africa. We do it private with a great outfitter and stay at diffrent luxury camps. What luxury cruise lines charge for an overland is outrageous And just to see Capetown is not a big deal. You need time in Africa not one day or two. You need two weeks minimum to really appreciate beautiful Africa.

We are on the Dubai to Capetown cruise in November and have 10 days on land after the cruise.

We will have a few days in Cape Town, a few in the winelands, and 4 nights on safari.

We had a few days on safari a long time ago, and are looking forward to it.

I have started a roll call but there isn't any interest yet. It looks like most suites are available. Perhaps we will be on our own?

I think we can book excursions in 4 or 5 weeks. We are doing our research and hopefully will have decided by then.

Edited by jillyf

We are on the Dubai to Capetown cruise in November and have 10 days on land after the cruise.

We will have a few days in Cape Town, a few in the winelands, and 4 nights on safari.

We had a few days on safari a long time ago, and are looking forward to it.

I have started a roll call but there isn't any interest yet. It looks like most suites are available. Perhaps we will be on our own?

I think we can book excursions in 4 or 5 weeks. We are doing our research and hopefully will have decided by then.

Look at Wilderness Safaris and Micato Sfaris. Both are excellent and all inclusive. No large groups and if you are lucky you may end up just the two of you.

I agree wholeheartedly with spending more time pre-cruise in RSA. We spent 3 weeks there first in "J-burg", then a balloon ride safari, Sabi Sabi game park, Durban, the garden route to Capetown and the Blue Train to Pretoria. A wonderful experience that made us want to go back. A diverse environment with fine foods and good wines, with very modest costs.

You must do Rovos Rail steam train.The most luxurious train in the world,is how that sell it. The Pride of Africa..We did Cape Town to Pretoria over a couple of nights,stopping on the way..Then we went on to Richards Bransons safari lodge..Ulasaba.Excellent lodge,everything included.Including a wine cellar and as much Veuve Clicquot as you want.Lots of surprises on the game drives.Open vehicles and excellent trackers.

We chose not to stay in Cape Town but just outside in Camps Bay.

Cape Town is an amazing City.

Envy......:eek:

Edited by janecambridge

The Rovos Rail is a must do and very elegant. We had a suite with the tub and shower. The food and wine served were the best. We will certainly do it again. Once you go to Africa your heart will be captured.

v

We leave in May for three weeks and we are so excited and this is our fifth time there. Cruise ship excursions do not do it justice.