Carambola Beach Club Disappoints

JFontaine

I went there a month or so after this restaurant opened and thought it was pretty much perfect in every way.

I went back this week. I know there were at least 2 ships in port.

I found the place frankly horrible. They have added so many chairs that people are nearly on top of you. The place was packed. Boom boxes blaring - I asked the staff, and they shrugged. Tried to move but it was impossible. People poured in by the van-load, sitting on towels when the chairs were gone. No beach service for food or drink. And a load of sea weed on the beach and in the water. Nobody raking it up.

On the plus side, the people working there were very nice.

Since I have posted so positively in the past about this place, I thought I should post my recent experience. I don't see returning unless they revert to their prior style.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Carambola 26th of Feb. We were disappointed also. We reserved hoping for a prime spot water front. No umbrellas allowed so we were practically in the toilet facilities to use the shade of the trees. Toilet facilities were immaculate but men must use the palm trees as urinals at night. Waste of money.

We've enjoyed Shipwreck Beach. Will be returning there next month. Good snorkeling. It is not fancy, but has a beach bar, basic restrooms, and Green vervet monkeys run around the hillside and visit the tourists! Check it out on YouTube.

We've enjoyed Shipwreck Beach. Will be returning there next month. Good snorkeling. It is not fancy, but has a beach bar, basic restrooms, and Green vervet monkeys run around the hillside and visit the tourists! Check it out on YouTube.

Were there chairs and umbrellas to rent? Snorkel gear to rent?

We always go to The Shipwreck when in St. Kitts. It is down the road from Carambola. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and when the taxi went to drop off all the passengers who were going to Carambola, all of them turned around and came back on the taxi to the Shipwreck. I guess there were no lounge chairs left.

To rent a umbrella and 2 chairs at the Shipwreck costs $5.00. I think they do rent snorkel equipment.

I went there a month or so after this restaurant opened and thought it was pretty much perfect in every way.

I went back this week. I know there were at least 2 ships in port.

I found the place frankly horrible. They have added so many chairs that people are nearly on top of you. The place was packed. Boom boxes blaring - I asked the staff, and they shrugged. Tried to move but it was impossible. People poured in by the van-load, sitting on towels when the chairs were gone. No beach service for food or drink. And a load of sea weed on the beach and in the water. Nobody raking it up.

On the plus side, the people working there were very nice.

Since I have posted so positively in the past about this place, I thought I should post my recent experience. I don't see returning unless they revert to their prior style.

Sorry to hear about your disappoint.

We were at Carambola the end of January, our third time there and made a prior reservation for lounge chairs and an umbrella. Don't recall if we were the only ship in port. I agree that the chairs were close to each but it didn't bother us and had no problem with wind for the umbrella. Chairs and an umbrella were $10 each, a lot more pricey than Shipwreck as this is more of an upscale beach. We did have beach service, enjoyed our drinks and lunch and will be going back in a few weeks.

We were at Carambola the end of January, our third time there and made a prior reservation for lounge chairs and an umbrella. Don't recall if we were the only ship in port. I agree that the chairs were close to each but it didn't bother us and had no problem with wind for the umbrella. Chairs and an umbrella were $10 each, a lot more pricey than Shipwreck as this is more of an upscale beach. We did have beach service, enjoyed our drinks and lunch and will be a

going back in a few weeks.

Any update?

We were at Carambola the end of January, our third time there and made a prior reservation for lounge chairs and an umbrella. Don't recall if we were the only ship in port. I agree that the chairs were close to each but it didn't bother us and had no problem with wind for the umbrella. Chairs and an umbrella were $10 each, a lot more pricey than Shipwreck as this is more of an upscale beach. We did have beach service, enjoyed our drinks and lunch and will be going back in a few weeks.

Any update?

Since I only posted last week, we did not leave yet, our 12 night cruise will take us to St. Kitts on 4-20-15. We are the only ship in port that day so chairs may be more scattered apart. We have enjoyed our day each and every time and had no complaints. We never heard boom boxes playing at all. Is there something specific, besides the chairs being close together, you want me to check out for you?

Since I only posted last week, we did not leave yet, our 12 night cruise will take us to St. Kitts on 4-20-15. We are the only ship in port that day so chairs may be more scattered apart. We have enjoyed our day each and every time and had no complaints. We never heard boom boxes playing at all. Is there something specific, besides the chairs being close together, you want me to check out for you?

Thanks for your reply! I'm sure it will be wonderful

• 4 weeks later...

We zip-lined first w the ship's excursion which was EXCELLENT, ate lunch on the ship and changed clothing before heading to Carambola. Probably arrived around 1:00p. By 2p, many groups were leaving. We sat all the way to the right, as you walk in, it wasn't too crowded and there were no boom boxes. The beach is very clean and spacious. We were on the adventure and another ship was in port. I read on CC about the poor restaurant service so we avoided that. The wi-fi was terrible- everyone was sitting inside trying to get connected to no avail. If you go later- it's better. The view of Nevis is spectacular. It is breezy, but we had our umbrellas opened the entire time. We had our taxi come back for us at 3:30p, which he did. on the way back, we stopped on the peak to take pics of the view. Look at the pics of Shipwreck- it was too rustic for us. If we had all day we would have gone to the other beach closer to Nevis. Good Luck!

Edited by Emmysmomma9

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your reply! I'm sure it will be wonderful

We did go to Carambola on April 20 and we were the only ship in port. Previously made reservations for loungers and umbrellas. Glad we did, as they were eventually all gone within hours. The cushion loungers were close to each other but we simply moved them back a little so we were not on top of others. Did not hear or see any boom boxes as someone posted. Weather was beautiful, water pretty calm, had good beach service for drinks and food. Pina Coladas were $8 and we each had a grouper sandwich that was so fresh and delicious. Rest rooms were very clean and they had outdoor showers. We will be going back to Carambola once again upon our return to St. Kitts in January.

I highly recommend emailing Daisy at dsharpe@carambolabeachclub.com if your interested in loungers and an umbrella, even if your the only ship in port, cost is $10 for each lounger and $10 for the umbrella, $30 total cost.

Edit to say, there were plenty of taxis at Carambola to take you back to the pier, I believe the cost was $4 pp.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising