American Table? Not a fan....

MrSchwump

On Liberty in October we tried YTD for the first time. It was also our first experience with the American Table.

YTD:

We only waited one night (30") the first formal night. We just hung out in the Lobby bar until our pager went off, no big deal.

We lucked out the first night with an awesome wait team. So we requested them the rest of the cruise and had terrific service. We also bonded the first night with the bar server for our section, and tipped a little extra. We had outstanding bar service every night.

American Table:

Not a fan! We thought the menu was rather boring, with nothing truly interesting or unique. It was all prepared well and tasted OK, however.

The slow service is because they cut the number of servers. Well they didn't actually cut the number of servers assigned to the table, they increased the number of tables per serving team. Same result in that they have less servers for the same number of tables. I can't speak to the quality of the new menu's food as I have not eaten it yet. But I have witnessed the slowing down of the service. I have spoken with several service staff in the past couple of years and they acknowledge they are being given more tables. Hopefully its being seen as to how this affects customer satisfaction....

Am I the only one hoping that we actually have the American Table menu on our upcoming Spring Break cruise?

Because I've perused the menus over on Zydecocruiser's website and I have to say, I'm kind of excited after four cruises with the same ole same ole.

I believe those are the "old" "new" menus and they've gotten better since then!

I'm getting ready for Glory cruise number 5 - third time with the new menus. They must be really terrible, huh? SMH. Some people will just never be happy. Hey, I'm not cooking or cleaning, so it's all good :D

Have fun! I'm anxiously awaiting my turn in May. Have you thought about assigned dining so you don't have to wait?

Ironic you asked that... I did originally choose Anytime dining but after reading all the stories, I went online and tried to switch to late dining. It says WAITLIST. I am hoping I will be able to switch tho. We absolutely loved ATD on the Liberty last year but I don't want to give up 2+ hours in the MDR for dinner. So maybe it will work out!

And

Am I the only one hoping that we actually have the American Table menu on our upcoming Spring Break cruise?

Because I've perused the menus over on Zydecocruiser's website and I have to say, I'm kind of excited after four cruises with the same ole same ole.

Not at all! I am definitely excited. I was REALLLLLLY bored with dinners on the last two cruises because they were cookie cutter. I love a change up! If we get on and don't like them, then I will break it up with some reservations at some of the other restaurants. But so far, it looks good to me. Variety is good!

Ironic you asked that... I did originally choose Anytime dining but after reading all the stories, I went online and tried to switch to late dining. It says WAITLIST. I am hoping I will be able to switch tho. We absolutely loved ATD on the Liberty last year but I don't want to give up 2+ hours in the MDR for dinner. So maybe it will work out!

Good luck!

I've noticed that every cruise recently, (Took 7 cruises last year, all Carnival) the service in the dining room, regardless of which menu was offered, has gotten slower, and slower. It's gotten to the point that a two hour dinner is the norm! :mad: On one cruise, (Liberty) dinner was taking 2 1/2 hours, and that was skipping desert!

"SKY"

I agree think the OP had more of an issue with service than the food. I have 38 Carnival cruises and are on the Breeze Feb.28 and can't wait to try the American Table. I tried Anytime once and swore I would never do it again, even with us being Diamond it was terrible. Dennis

I If I crave fried chicken, I will go to the lido deck. I like having different food options in the dining room. There is no need to change it just because someone wants simpler foods.

They had fried chicken last week on the Liberty's American Table menu -- I think it was Weds on our 7 night cruise. I didnt actually get it, I think I had the BBQ ribs that night.....

My overall impression of the American Table menu was that most nights I could find something to eat (and I'm a picky eater)....but it leans heavily on sea food many nights (and we dont eat sea food). They also didnt often have a normal/plain salad typically. There is always a chicken / flat iron steak option if all else fails...which I had a couple of nights.

Both my wife and other table mates say to avoid the pies if you like the taste of sugar. They tried pies on 2 or 3 nights combined and always agreed that they seemed to have it missing....Other desserts such as the Smores Parfait and Sticky Brioche bun -- which were new to me -- were very good.

Our service varied -- it had been nearly 8 years from our last cruise and some nights were quicker than others. One evening when it was just the 2 of us it took over 30 mins to get our appetizers...other nights we were done and gone just after 7.

Also, while on the subject of servers....we were NEVER offered any drinks other than pouring water....and coming at the end asking if we wanted coffee. After a week of drinking water for dinner there, I asked if they had lemonade I could have with dinner and they brought me a glass. Breakfast in the dining room was the same way -- if we didnt speak up for milk or juice, they made no mention of it being an option.

Edited by ICF

I am looking forward to the American Table menus. I have not tried it yet, but I am looking forward to the change. I do especially like that you can tailor your side dishes to you liking. ie; if you dont like rice, you can order potato. Same with the vegetables, seems like you have more choice in putting your meal together. Also I like the idea of the port of call menu option.

When this menu first came out, I found it confusing with regard to "for the table" items, and so did many others, and now I see that they dont use that terminology on the menu anymore. Also, there were very few soups and desserts, and old favorites, and I see that they have reintroduced many of those. So, the way I see that menu now, I am much more willing to give it a try, and actually look forward to the change.

HATED it!! On Carnival Liberty last January (2014) the service was SO slow, the food was SO forgettable that given the choice we will NEVER sail on a Carnival ship with American Table menu in the MDR ever again.

Granted at that time the new menu had just been rolled out, but it was so bad my husband describes it as the worst cruise ever! He will never cruise on Liberty again. And I will not book a cruise if American Table is the MDR menu. We had the same problems that you did, including a minimum 1.5 to 2 hour time for a very mediocre meal.

I did express our displeasure in our post-cruise survey and also wrote to the company. Thankfully it has not been incorporated in other than the original 4 ships (as far as I know).

We just got back from 8 day Southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Conquest and thoroughly enjoyed our MDR Anytime dining with the regular menu. The bar/drinks staff was a bit limited and seemed to be stretched a bit thin, so waits for ice tea, drinks and coffee were a bit long, but otherwise Great service. Loved our January Cruise again!

Well, sorry to break the news, but American table is supposed to be rolled out in all ships witchin the next 6 months...

We actually liked the menu. I agree that Liberty ATD service was horrible. But I blame that on the waitstaff and kitchen, not the menu's. We ended up eating in the steakhouse 4 (would have been 5, but we did Chefs table one night) out of the 7 nights because of the service. We will never do ATD again because of that experience.

I am not terribly concerned with the menu since I know that I will find something to eat. I'm not that picky, but I have heard that there is no more Bitter & Blanc on the American Table menu. We will be on the Glory in April. Can someone tell me if it is true that the Bitter & Blanc was taken off? That is my favorite dessert. I could care less about WCMC.

I am not terribly concerned with the menu since I know that I will find something to eat. I'm not that picky, but I have heard that there is no more Bitter & Blanc on the American Table menu. We will be on the Glory in April. Can someone tell me if it is true that the Bitter & Blanc was taken off? That is my favorite dessert. I could care less about WCMC.

It is still on there, so no need to worry.

After looking at the American Table and American Feast menus it seems to total number of selections over a typical 7 day cruise has been reduced. Considering the everyday type items it seems as though they are down to a half dozen or so on rotation.

Since this is a gradual roll out (maybe) am I led to believe that the Carnival Fantasy is using the old menu system? We are boarding on Sunday out of Charleston and this is our first Carnival in over 10 years.

We are trying (by default since we booked late) the ATD (815 is too late) and are apprehensive about it because of the above stated experiences. The concept is nice, but the one big advantage of fixed seating is that after the first night everyone knows everyone and things are more settled. It would be interesting to compare experiences between the fixed dining room and the flexible dining room on a given cruise.

I agree that much of the problem with the service could be chalked up to the learning curve on the part of the kitchen and the staff learning a new menu.

I'm not sure that the slow service is entirely due to this. Both my wife and I observed that the staff was exceedingly slow at bussing tables and setting up a new table. Your average Denny's busboy could clear a 2 top in about 20 seconds. We watched one guy on the Breeze take about 2 minutes, moving one piece at time, walking back and forth from the table to their service area. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of efficiency. They're working hard, just not very smart.

Another thing we noticed was how young the wait staff was. I know it's a somewhat different animal, but on Princess you had waiters in their 50s. I don't think I saw anyone on the Breeze staff who was a over 30.

I agree with the comment that the menu skewed heavily toward seafood. Another thing we noticed was one of the vegetarian dishes was the same thing all 8 nights. With only 2 vegetarian selections on the menu, that's not much variety.

While we're not foodies, neither are we habitués of the Golden Corral. We are not charmed by haute cuisine but appreciate good, well prepared quality food. There was nothing wrong with the quality of the food. I was just underwhelmed at the variety of choices, which seemed to be less that in the past. Given that, it wasn't worth sitting through slow service for.

Finally, I wonder if non-Americans would be put off by a concept called "American Table"?

After looking at the American Table and American Feast menus it seems to total number of selections over a typical 7 day cruise has been reduced. Considering the everyday type items it seems as though they are down to a half dozen or so on rotation.

Since this is a gradual roll out (maybe) am I led to believe that the Carnival Fantasy is using the old menu system? We are boarding on Sunday out of Charleston and this is our first Carnival in over 10 years.

We are trying (by default since we booked late) the ATD (815 is too late) and are apprehensive about it because of the above stated experiences. The concept is nice, but the one big advantage of fixed seating is that after the first night everyone knows everyone and things are more settled. It would be interesting to compare experiences between the fixed dining room and the flexible dining room on a given cruise.

Correct, the new menus are not on fantasy currently