Rainstorm during sail away?

Playhouse05

So I just looked at the forecast for Saturday in Miami and there's 90% chance for rain and thunderstorms. Anyone experience a storm during sail away? I'm a little bummed because we're cruising with a few first timers and I wanted them to have the fun party atmosphere at the lido sail away party. Do they move the party if it's raining? Or do we just make the best of it and dance in the rain?

A few years ago my wife and I were onboard the Carnival Pride at the port in Baltimore. While the ship was preparing to set sail, a huge and rather violent thunderstorm passed over the harbor and city of Baltimore. Our sail away was delayed almost an hour until the storm had passed. Was pretty cool though to watch the power of the storm lash out at Baltimore and the harbor area, while we were tucked under cover sitting at an aft bar looking out. Storm passed, we set sail...weather after the storm was beautiful!!

So, can't say for Miami to whats forecast and what actually happens, but I suppose depending on the storm path and strength and all of that, they COULD delay sail away...or not...and sail in the rain!!

Edited by bar1068

Not a big deal at all. Happened on my first cruise. The sailaway party was moved to the indoor promenade with big windows, located one deck lower, instead of happening on the lido deck. (This was on a Fantasy class ship; it may vary for you.) Had the same music and cheesy line dances. The ship still left on schedule, since it was just heavy rain, with no thunder or lightning. The Maimi skyline looked really cool in the rain; it had a quiet, dramatic feel to it, as opposed to its usual glitzy look.

There's actually a nautical superstition that says a rainy sailaway is a good thing; it means you're going to have a safe trip. Kind of like god/nature/Poseidon (sources vary) baptizing your ship or something. So look at it that way.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

We have never sailed away during a rainstorm, but we did board in Miami once during a storm. The storm had passed by the time we left port. The only problem was that the luggage was sitting out in the rain and suitcases got very wet. We were fortunate because I always pack our clothes in the clear plastic dry cleaning bags to help prevent wrinkles. Because of this, even though our suitcase was soaked, all of our clothes were dry. Some friends traveling with us had one suitcase that was soaked, along with all the clothes inside. It just happened to be the suitcase with all their "nice" clothes. We spent some time in the laundry drying and ironing the clothes. Didn't even think to ask for Carnival to take care of it. Would do that if it happened again. These friends now always pack their clothes in plastic. Since rain is forecasted I would recommend at least lining your suitcases with plastic. Hope the rain holds off because it is so much more enjoyable to be outside during sail away. Enjoy your cruise.

We have never sailed away during a rainstorm, but we did board in Miami once during a storm. The storm had passed by the time we left port. The only problem was that the luggage was sitting out in the rain and suitcases got very wet. We were fortunate because I always pack our clothes in the clear plastic dry cleaning bags to help prevent wrinkles. Because of this, even though our suitcase was soaked, all of our clothes were dry. Some friends traveling with us had one suitcase that was soaked, along with all the clothes inside. It just happened to be the suitcase with all their "nice" clothes. We spent some time in the laundry drying and ironing the clothes. Didn't even think to ask for Carnival to take care of it. Would do that if it happened again. These friends now always pack their clothes in plastic. Since rain is forecasted I would recommend at least lining your suitcases with plastic. Hope the rain holds off because it is so much more enjoyable to be outside during sail away. Enjoy your cruise.

That is the first thing i thought of luggage possibly getting soaked. A reminder for all of us to travel with enough plastic bags in case we need to put the clothes in them inside our luggage.

Last year on the Dream out of PC we had an extremely violent storm come through (70+mph winds). We were still docked. Our ship as well as the Disney Dream which was docked across from us had all the thrusters on full to try and keep the ships from breaking free. We could not even open the balcony door as the wind was pushing it shut.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In 2012, when I cruised out of Puerto Rico, it was raining during sailaway so they moved it to the disco. It was a really disappointing "party"- they had a small dance floor where they tried to have us do the line dancing, but somehow I think that stuff is better done outside on Lido deck. They did offer some drink specials to make it up to us, but overall it would have been more fun to be outside. Fingers crossed that the weatherman is wrong and you have sunny skies for your sail away!! If not, the cruise director will go for plan B, likely in the disco like I had it.

A few years ago in Miami we were standing outside for the boat drill and a torrential rain started. It rained so hard that the deck flooded, we were standing in at least 3 inches of water but the drill went on! It was almost scary it rained so hard and the wind was so fierce but it soon blew by and we sailed on as if nothing happened. Never saw rain for the rest of the cruise!

That is the first thing i thought of luggage possibly getting soaked. A reminder for all of us to travel with enough plastic bags in case we need to put the clothes in them inside our luggage.

When it's pouring like that, I just put a big trash bag over the whole suitcase, tie around top handle with luggage tag (laminated with packing tape) hanging out. Just cut a slit for each wheel and make sure it's situated so the bag can roll. Has worked well both times I had to embark in torrential rain.

To the original question, yes they have the sailaway inside. It's not the same, but better than cold and wet. AS another poster stated, muster goes on anyway. Was a cold wet affair on my cruise last month. They did seem to speed it up though.

In 2012, when I cruised out of Puerto Rico, it was raining during sailaway so they moved it to the disco. It was a really disappointing "party"- they had a small dance floor where they tried to have us do the line dancing, but somehow I think that stuff is better done outside on Lido deck. They did offer some drink specials to make it up to us, but overall it would have been more fun to be outside. Fingers crossed that the weatherman is wrong and you have sunny skies for your sail away!! If not, the cruise director will go for plan B, likely in the disco like I had it.

Exact same thing happened to us sailing out of San Juan last May. The "indoor party" was a complete let down. I love the sailaway party on the lido and having it moved indoors really stunk!