Jewel Transatlantic – Shoreguy Blogs - 4 September 2005

shoreguy

More Blog –

Last night murder mystery – my son was the murderer – same script as the Dawn. We had a great time but dinner at 5:30 is not my cup of tea. This was the first night we ate in a main dinning room and the service was prompt perhaps to prompt as we tried to roll play. We were done before 7:00.

Iceland today – it was remarkable – booked an 8 hour tour and was concerned – I ended the day delighted that I had a chance to see so much of this country in a single day.

The day started out rocky with 700 passengers trying to get into the Stardust at 6:45 am. Everyone showed up at exactly that time and the lines were up the stares to deck 8. The usual moaning from the crowd but once inside we were off to the tenders in short order.

This is a beautiful country that is almost treeless. We were able to see magnificent water falls from the long glacier, geysers, dormant volcanoes, even local beer with lunch.

We did lose a passenger at lunch. After waiting 20 minutes and the tour guide checking everywhere we headed off to the next stop. The lost passenger was honored yesterday at the Latitudes cocktail party for this being her 37th cruise with NCL. We did here from the hotel we stopped at and she had been touring the property. The good news the tour passed the property on our way back and we were able to pick her up.

Everyone started to give her a hard time for holding us up. Her answer I’m French – not sure what that means.

We just departed Iceland about 2 hours late – our tour was not back until 15 minutes after the sailing time. With the tenders to be brought back onboard I did not expect us to sail any earlier.

For those that asked I found the laundry room on deck 11 – pictures on my return – midship with a sign on the door.

The not so good news for some –

The Cigar bar unlike the Dawn is not walled in and is right next to the piano outside Le Bistro.

I spoke with Pamela Stanley last night she will be getting off the ship early when we get to NYC. She does not want and can not work with the cigar smoke 15 feet away from the piano.

For those that care the passenger mix on this trip – about 600 Germans, 700 Britts, and 1200 from the US.

Overall to date the Jewel has exceeded my expectations – It is in fact running with few exceptions like a ship that has been in service for months not weeks.

Have you met up with Klaus yet??? Did he go to your CC get-to-gether?? Is he happy on the Jewel?? I will miss him next year in the Dawn.

Suesan:) :) :)

See Klaus ??? He as usual is everywhere. I thing I see him more often then my cabin stewards. Is he happy ?? I don't know but he has been work 7X24 to bring this ship out.

He has been very very good to us on this trip :)

I have been reading along with your trip and today I have been checking all day, I couldnt wait to read. Sounds like you are having fun. Thanks for taking us along on your cruise.

By the way can you go to cabin 10086 and tell me what color the carpet is and what color the pilowcases are?:eek: Just kidding. Have a great trip. Enjoy yourself and cant wair for more blogs.....and of course pictures when you get back.

Ashley

Sounds like you had a wonderful day in Iceland.

I don't get it when some passengers think that the rules don't apply to them. We had a problem on our NCL tour Rome On Your Own. When it was time to board the bus to return to the ship there was a couple that sat in front of us on the bus and they had not returned. We waited for almost 20 minutes in the hot sun with a bus full or people, including a screaming baby. Finally the tour guide, who gave us her cell phone number, got a call and the couple was at a restaurant down by the Colliseum. The buses were parked up a steep hill above the Colliseum and these people wanted to finish their lunch and they felt that they shouldn't have to make that steep climb up to the bus stop anyway. The bus picked them up at the restaurant and we were the last bus returning to the ship - a half hour late.

Thanks for todays blog. Each time you post I can picture in my mind the ship.

Marilyn

Hi Shoreguy,

Enjoying your blogs immensely. How's your son enjoying himself with the avg age high 50's?

Have you been in to hear the Ironics? Is there also a "Caribbean" band or will that be added once the ship gets to Miami? Is there a lounge act in Fyzz or is that only karaoke this cruise?

Dolphins are currently on the Crown to Bermuda but I guess I'll have to break it to them and the rest of our Oct. 10th roll call that Pamala will be getting off. She is one of the big reasons to be on the ship, having sailed with her a few times already. Boo Hoo. But I understand the cigar smoke situation as I'm not sure I will be able to bear sitting there myself.:(

Big Hellos to Klaus, Sean, Ruth and all the rest. Soon it will be our turn but in the meantime, have lots of fun and enjoy the rest of your ports.:)

I like how you said "See Klaus???" When we were on the Dawn in April we saw him EVERYWHERE!! ALL hours of the day!!! And he ALWAYS looked crisp, efficient and seemingly had endless energy......:eek: How he did it, I don't know.....

Your trip sounds like fun!!! Iceland sounds quite interesting!!

Suesan:) :) :)

Shoreguy, Again I must thank you for your daily reviews. Each time I read your posts it brings me closer to our trip next month.

It sounds like you're really enjoying yourself. I can't wait for you to fill us in on ALL the details. We'll give you a day to get organized but remember...we're looking forward to your review and pictures....lots of pictures.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and know that we're thinking of you.

Happy cruising!

For Shoreguy...

I'm so glad that you've been able to post your "blogs"...it is helping me keep up with my friends that are sailing on the JEWEL with you. I really appreciate your "tell it like it is" way of writing...I feel like I'm traveling with you. I'm glad to hear that you were so impressed with ICELAND...our friends were really looking forward to that port-of-call and it's surreal landscape.

I hope your transatlantic sea days are relaxing and enjoyable. I, along with the rest of the land-bound CCer's, yearn for your next "blogs". I'm glad the CC boards are functioning a bit better.

We got some post cards from our friends and their stay in England at Bath today...was very surprised that the cards got here this quickly!

Have a great crossing...can't wait to see the pictures!

Debjo

Shoreguy, this is simply wonderful! I look forward each day to your blogs, because you're so "right to the point" and yet descriptive at the same time.

It's great that the staff have the ship running so well already!!!

I have just one question, though...

How do you feel about traveling with your son, now that you know he's a MURDERER! :eek:

Keep these great daily blogs coming. Thousands of us are living vicariously through you! :) Hope your trip across the pond is smooth and wonderful.

Thanks so much Shoreguy for the information about the laundry. You are so thoughtful to keep us informed and answer questions while on your cruise. Looking forward to the next blog. Glad your having a good cruise.

Snorklin'barb: The ironics were the only band playing when we were on the Star. They oplay for all functions including the deck parties and sailaway parties.

For those that care the passenger mix on this trip – about 600 Germans, 700 Britts, and 1200 from the US. And 1 Late French Lady :D

Shoreguy, thanks again for the great reviews. How is your son enjoying the cruise? Anyone his own age?

Have a great day! :)

Here is another Thank YOU. February just can not come quick enough. Does Klaus call you Jim or Shoreguy? Just so when we see him in Feb. we will be able to say hi for you and to let him know about how you have included us in you cruise and tell him how helpful you are with all of the facts about NCL.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, I am hoping to get to Newport on Tuesday to see the outside up close!!!:D

Shoreguy,

These blogs are great! I look forward to reading them each day.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. I can't wait to see the Jewel in NYC on Sept. 14. Unfortunately, I'll just be staring at her from the outside. I'll have to wait until April 2006 to see the inside.

Archived