Jewel Transatlantic – Shoreguy Blogs - 4 September 2005

shoreguy

Prolog

As you all know a cruise begins long before you sail. I thought I would post a little of the adventure prior to embarkation. Most of this has been posted in one thread or another but may be valuable to be in one place.

This cruise started on my last cruise on the Dawn in February 2005. As has always been the case the 10 day cruise was remarkable. I found out on that trip how many of the staff were moving to the Jewel including the Hotel Director Klaus Lagmaier who had provided the “royal” treatment to all the CC members onboard. I told him I would try and rejoin him on the Jewel.

I returned on the 15th of February. I booked the Jewel the 27th or so I thought. It was perfect a transatlantic that I wanted to do, what looked like a great new ship, and one of the best onboard staffs in the NCL fleet. This would be a chance for me to show my dad parts of the world he always wanted to see but never took the time.

I have booked direct with NCL many times and it has been great. I was concerned this time with the Rep. I was having trouble understanding her and felt like I was being rushed. I should have called back and gotten a better agent.

I booked direct with NCL and never received the traditional email confirming my reservation that I requested to review it before making payment. I called back the next day and by chance got the same rep. I asked again for an email to confirm the details. I got that later that night. Everything was in order and it indicated I had 24 hours to make my deposit.

I called the next morning to provide my credit card for the deposit. “Sorry mr shorguy your reservation has been canceled and the fares have gone up. No more BA cabins available but we can give you a Cat G for the same price”. I spent the day trying to find someone who could fix my booking. All I heard was “sorry”

I ended up emailing Colin Veitch and asking for his help on the 1st of March. His reply leave it to me. Over the next 2 days I received at least a dozen calls from NCL and the original booking was restored on the 3rd of March.

Fast forward to June and my father suddenly passed away. I almost cancelled the cruise but decided to bring my adult son to keep this a father son adventure.

By this time we had a great roll call from many parts of the world including Australia.

Fast forward again to August – Every Monday I checked the inventory since I booked in search of that special upsell. No luck called every Monday – nothing. On August 1st an aft facing BA showed up in inventory – the only balcony. I selected it online and called to move my cabin. The agent said they did not have it in their system. I said I can see it online. I booked it and now had 2 cabins. I realized the next day the reason they could not see it was I had it tied up online. The next day all the bookings were sorted out. That began the next drama.

It turns out this was a HC cabin and the same size as an AE. I took criticism here for booking a HC cabin. I still feel that booking it 30 days prior to departure I did not prevent someone who needed from booking in advance. I would give it up if in fact it was needed but I was not going to pass on the cabin not because it was HC but because it was aft facing.

The immaculate upgrade occurred. That BA is now an AE Penthouse. It shows that way on the deck plan and I emailed the ship to confirm. What started out as a lost booking as turned into Suite to do a crossing.

That adventure starts tomorrow as we fly to London and join the ship that is on its way to Dover to bring us back to NYC.

Stay tuned for the rest of the story……….

Thanks Shoreguy for your first "Episode"...

I'm so sorry to learn that you won't have the pleasure of sailing with your father...somehow I know that he will be with you...both you and your son, so it will be a three generation cruise of sorts. Don't forget to take along your favorite picture of your dad...if you haven't already packed it. Have a great time with your son and congratulations on acquiring your wondrous upgrade...it just goes to show "good things take time" and a little persuasive perseverance helped too!

I, like everyone else, is anxious to hear all about your trip!

Debjo

Hi Shoreguy:

Sorry to hear about the passing of your Father. You and your son are in for a great father - son adventure. Enjoy the AE Penthouse. I miss it.

Like reading the prolog. Look forward to reading the rest. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

Say hello to Klaus and Ruth from me. Also Karan the Butler if he is serving you.

Marilyn

Shoreguy,

Hope you didn't leave for London yet.

Wanted to wish you a pleasant flight, calm waters and beautiful sunsets from your aft balcony.

I'm certain the HC/AE has enough room for the 3 of you!

We all know you well enough, by now, to know that you would not take a HC from anyone. This was meant to be.

Relax and enjoy every moment of your cruise.

Shoreguy, I wish you the trip of a lifetime, on an amazing and beautiful vessel, in the company of friends onboard, and your son ( and Dad!).

If there is anyone on this site who deserves a wonderful trip, it is you. You provide so much concise information, settle so many petty disputes, and offer a supreme sense of humor. You are a gentleman of the highest order, and one heck of a nice guy, too.

Know that we are all traveling vicariously through you in the coming days, and will eagerly await your journal or review!

Have a simply wonderful time.

Pepper

If there is anyone on this site who deserves a wonderful trip, it is you. You provide so much concise information, settle so many petty disputes, and offer a supreme sense of humor. You are a gentleman of the highest order, and one heck of a nice guy, too.
All right...stop sucking up. He's not taking you with him! :D Your Dawn cruise is soon enough. ;)

All right...stop sucking up. He's not taking you with him! :D Your Dawn cruise is soon enough. ;)

Fifty seven days is NOT soon enough - I wanna cruise NOWWWWW! :D

Nice try Pepper....LOL

Admit it - you want to leave today too!:p

Hey - WHO WOULDN'T want to be cruising with Shoreguy!

Shoreguy,

I think I've anticipated your trip almost as much as you have. I hope you have a wonderful time...all 3 of you.

I read all of your posts....all the time. You have a magnetic personality and a wonderful way with people. I'm very much looking forward to your review and pictures. If anyone can capture the true spirit of the Jewel, you can. Our cruise is on Oct. 21, 2005 and it seems so much nearer now that YOU are on your way. I've done the count down with you, now it's time to start doing my own. We have our docs and tags in hand....it's just a matter of a bit more shopping (a LOT of shopping) and packing.....a chore which I thoroughly enjoy.

Have a wonderful trip.....enjoy that beautiful cabin and relax. You have a big job ahead of you when you get back. We're relying on your expertise to get us ready for our cruises. I wish you calm seas...beautiful sunsets ...peace...and a wonderful time with your family.

God bless....and happy cruising!

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

I'm leavin' on a jet plane

I Don't know when I'll be back again

Oh, babe, I hate to go. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone the 3 of us will have a great time :)

It is now Saturday 9/3/2005 at 12:14:51 PM EDT

Event: Jewel TransAtlantic

Scheduled For 9/4/2005 11:00:00 AM EDT

22 hours 45 minutes 9 seconds or

0 weekends or

1 day or

22 hours (15 waking hours) or

1,365 minutes or

81,908 seconds

docs2.jpg.6d48e9bb885134e44172a6ad0e04e4b7.jpg

Shoreguy,

Welcome to England for your brief visit before heading back across the Pond;)

Hope you have a great trip. Who will answer all the questions while you're gone. I think that NCL or CC should give you an internet package for the trip so that you can advertise the ship for them whilst on board.

Maybe they should ask you to give a guest lecture whilst on board !

Hope the crew don't bother you too much with their questions too.

Happy sailing

Shoreguy, This is going to be your best ever!!! Have a truly safe and memory filled voyage. We all wish we were with you. Please tell Klaus that Eileen, from the Rogue Wave voyage, sends her best with the best! We will be watching with great anticipation for your reports.

Wally, I think I am with you on the March 5th Dawn trip. Eileen

Archived