Tell me about your Gty wins!

ToxM

I've booked 4 of us in 2 Superior Deluxe Cabins on Britannia in May - B507. Currently we are in DA grade on a Gty fare. Given that P and O have in the last few days stated that the ship is 70% booked up through til April 2016 and is their fastest selling ship, I'm guessing that the cruise is going to be very close to full, in the experience of the collective mind of this forum, what do you think the chances of the upgrade fairy throwing us a bone? Is the ship being less or more full conducive to said fairy visiting?

Also fill us with hope and tell me the best upgrade fairy story you have!

Thanks in advance!

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

On our last P&O cruise we had an aft balcony which we were really happy with.

However we then got "upgraded" to a higher floor midships balcony.

By the time we noticed it was too late as the auto software had allocated our previous cabin and it went down the chain so there was no chance to get it back.

My only upgrade was to the worst cabin we have ever had. Noises 24 hours a day which we found out was coming from the funnels. We had chosen an aft cabin and were 'upgraded' to midship. Couldn't be moved as ship was full. Tick no upgrade now. Sorry it couldn't have been a fairy story ending.

My only upgrade was to the worst cabin we have ever had. Noises 24 hours a day which we found out was coming from the funnels. We had chosen an aft cabin and were 'upgraded' to midship. Couldn't be moved as ship was full. Tick no upgrade now. Sorry it couldn't have been a fairy story ending.

In our case there was nothing wrong with the midships cabin we were upgraded to but we do like a nice beverage at sea on an aft balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've cruised in an aft balcony before and agree they are in a fabulous position. I'd be miffed to lose that!

At the moment we are looking at being midships on the A deck, as that's the only place that grade is situated. It's under the lido deck which might cause an issue, although tbh our aft on Eclipse was under the open part of the buffet on a med cruise, and there wasn't that much noise, and B507 is a Fjords cruise, so potentially not that much pool use etc.

As part of the equation is the unknown element of Britannia cabins and location, it's an interesting conundrum.

Keep em coming, and thanks for the replies so far!

I've cruised in an aft balcony before and agree they are in a fabulous position. I'd be miffed to lose that!

At the moment we are looking at being midships on the A deck, as that's the only place that grade is situated. It's under the lido deck which might cause an issue, although tbh our aft on Eclipse was under the open part of the buffet on a med cruise, and there wasn't that much noise, and B507 is a Fjords cruise, so potentially not that much pool use etc.

As part of the equation is the unknown element of Britannia cabins and location, it's an interesting conundrum.

Keep em coming, and thanks for the replies so far!

Which time of year is your Fjords cruise as we sailed to Norway last May and we were sunbathing and swimming 6 days out of the 7. Fabulous scenery and cruise.

Our best upgrade was on Ventura a couple of years ago.

We booked a guarantee lowest grade suite at an unbelievable price ( cheaper than we had paid for a balcony on similar cruise previously) and were upgraded to the Peninsular suite (largest suite on ship 750sq ft) and it wasnt even last minute!

Couldnt believe our luck

Back to balcony cabins now - a bit of a come down

Good luck you never know .We never thought that we would ever have a suite let alone this one.

We have a Super Delux Balcony Cabin and I ticked upgrade thinking we might get a Suite....just realised it could just be a higher grade...dammit!

Trying to work out the mysteries of the upgrade fairy, I guess the best chance of being upgraded to the next grade up is to purchase a midships high deck cabin. If there was any whiff of an upgrade you could only go up a grade from that.

If you had a fore/aft cabin, a move to midships would be a p an o upgrade. Similarly a low deck to a higher deck would be an upgrade.

As to how you would get a suite (in the normal run of things,tho fairy dust has been sprinkled before) your best bet would be next grade down,midships. Ofcourse if you were a very loyal cruiser that may help as well.

I tried to tell them it was our Honeymoon, they were like 'naa we don't do anything for that' hahahaha

I think anniversaries, honeymoon and special occasion treats and upgrades went long ago, same on the airlines, shame but always worth a shot!

Ive just purchased a 2 night P&O winter mini cruise for £79 for myself and the wife, sailing from Hull to Zeebrugge.

P&O have kindly upgraded us to a 12 month around the world cruise with our own stately room and butler, and £1m OBC.

Which was nice :)

Edited by Big Stevie

Ive just purchased a 2 night P&O winter mini cruise for £79 for myself and the wife, sailing from Hull to Zeebrugge.

P&O have kindly upgraded us to a 12 month around the world cruise with our own stately room and butler, and £1m OBC.

I think when then found out you were from Somalia, sorry I mean Sheffield, they took pity on you and did the right thing.

We got the same deal but only paid £3.50 !:rolleyes:

We were on Ventura a few years ago. Booked the cabin we wanted which was exactly the same one as Azura the year before. It was C deck and one in from the Aft.

They then 'upgraded' us to a cabin more mid-ship but in reality was 6 doors down. I was really angry as we had booked 18 months before so we could choose our cabin.

I didn't realise you had to tick the no upgrade box. Lesson learned.

Still had an amazing cruise as I wouldn't let something like that spoil it. 👍

We booked an outside obstructed window cabin on Arcadia for a 2 night Christmas Market cruise, and about a month before sailing we got upgraded to a balcony cabin, and then after another week or so we got upgraded again to a mini suite. We were so excited until they cancelled the whole cruise a few days before sailing as Arcadia refurb ran over 😢😢

Gutting.

Now rather than hoping for an upgrade I just hope the cruise goes ahead 👍

We booked an outside obstructed window cabin on Arcadia for a 2 night Christmas Market cruise, and about a month before sailing we got upgraded to a balcony cabin, and then after another week or so we got upgraded again to a mini suite. We were so excited until they cancelled the whole cruise a few days before sailing as Arcadia refurb ran over 😢😢

Gutting.

Now rather than hoping for an upgrade I just hope the cruise goes ahead 👍

How awful for you. That sounds just like my luck:eek: You deserve an upgrade.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

On our last P&O cruise we had an aft balcony which we were really happy with.

However we then got "upgraded" to a higher floor midships balcony.

By the time we noticed it was too late as the auto software had allocated our previous cabin and it went down the chain so there was no chance to get it back.

I had this exact conversation with our TA. He said that if we got "upgraded" we would probably get a midships balcony. We had booked an aft balcony on Britannia. (we like watching the wake of the ship, it`s so relaxing)

We turned off automatic upgrades after that. Careful people !

Edited by Pete B

I had this exact conversation with our TA. He said that if we got "upgraded" we would probably get a midships balcony. We had booked an aft balcony on Britannia. (we like watching the wake of the ship, it`s so relaxing)

We turned off automatic upgrades after that. Careful people !

Wake fans also. It won't happen but in an ideal world there would be an option to only be upgraded to a better aft cabin.

We are reasonably good sailors.

Never again an aft cabin on Adonia in a storm in the Bay of Biscay.:eek:

Ye gods, yes! We always choose an inside cabin as we don't spend that much time in it so don't see the need to spend a lot. Anyway, for our last cruise, on Grand Princess, I'd booked a mid-ships low-grade inside. A couple of weeks before the cruise I got an email telling me that we were being uprgaded to a higer grade inside cabin, but at the aft. I was quite pleased as it was on a good deck.

But the Bay of Biscay in an aft cabin - bleurgh! And the noise from the thrusters was dreadful, which was lovely when the ship was docking at 5am! Still, it didn't spoil our cruise one little bit.