Do YOU always participate on formal nights?

RCmommy

I am struggling with this idea for our upcoming cruise. The reason I am struggling? The extra packing for our family of four and the fact that the four of us do not truly have anything formal, the kids even semi-formal, so it would be be added costs for us to get some new digs!

I am on the fence with just sucking it up and buying some formal-ish wear (fear not, I am not talking three piece suits and such) Hoping some replies can help me make up my mind.

I know there is a whole "go dressed as you are camp" but I would feel frumpy and I also wouldn't want to offend anyone with our flip flops. :p

Can we expect many to be skipping the formal nights and dining elsewhere or are we going to be lonely sitting at the buffet?

We always go to formal night. There are always many people at the buffet; you wouldn't be alone.

I haven't dressed up for formal nights in over 10 years and don't plan on starting back up. I went last year due to having my nephew with me, and him wanting something on the menu. He wore a polo shirt. :) It doesn't matter to me what other's wear and actually am amused at some of the "looks" I get in my shorts and tshirt in the public areas (I don't enter the dining rooms and eat in the buffet).

So flame away and do what you want. :)

m2-flamethrower_2.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

I know it seems like a simple choice but for me nothing is simple. haha

We work from home so formal, even semi formal gear is not in our wardrobe.

For me, formal night means extra clothes and different shoes for all four of us. That will mean more luggage and Delta charges $25 a case. I normally have four cases for the four of us. (packing light for me is an enigma!)

Buying new clothes costs money= money I would rather spend on excursions.

However, I don't want the rest of the family to miss out because I am being a prude!

So the only shoes you are bringing are flip flops? And the only clothes are shorts? I pack light but can't imagine only having flip flops and shorts for all of us. To save on weight we wear pants and wear closed toe comfy shoes and pack the much lighter flip flops.

Just bring a pair of flats or a long enough dress to cover your flip flops. We eat in the MDR every night but even on formal nights we never dress super formal. In fact, dh has gotten away with a pair of nice jeans and a button down shirt. Same with my son.

On our first cruise I made the mistake of packing way too much dressy stuff, heels, skirts, etc. Then I realized the majority of cruisers wore totally casual wear. I was so much more comfortable from our second cruise forward once I realized I didn't have to dress up all the time. Who cares. It's my VACATION.

Nothing to feel guilty about or struggle over, it's just dinner and most of all, It's YOUR vacation.

I haven't been to the dining room in the last 10 cruises. Heck, I don't even pack pants anymore. I don't miss the hours long production at all...

1. Getting ready to get ready.

2. Getting ready.

3. Lining up for dinner.

4. Getting seated, and waiting for the rest of the table to get seated.

5. Menu time!

6. Water and Roll time.

7. Ordering time.

8. Appetizer time.

9. Main Course time.

10. Desert time.

11. Hurrying to the lounge for the show.

12. Going back down to change clothes.

*Add picture time (optional)

I rather enjoy the quiet lido deck at dinner time, it gives us a chance to really talk, play cards, or whatever.

This is exactly how we cruise now too. So enjoyable..

Yes, that's basically how we dress. DH likes to wear a suit, but when he forgot his nice clothes bag (long story involving a flooded basement), he went to elegant night in Walmart khakis (purchased on the way to the port), polo shirt, and sneakers. DS always wears khakis, polo, and his sneakers because dress shoes are not a battle I choose to fight with my teen. The girls and I wear simple dresses, not fancy evening gowns. I've even been known to wear my church ballet flats instead of dressy shoes. Nice sandals (not flip flops) would also be okay. I have found decent dresses at Target and have friends who find second-hand steals at consignment shops.

Personally, I would never give up the prime rib and lobster. You might consider ways to reduce what you pack while having something that will pass for elegant night.

I <3 thrift stores personally. We grew up dirt poor and we shopped at thrift stores a LOT. I still do because you can find some great bargains. We went thrifting last weekend and I picked up 4 shirts for me (3 dress shirts, one nice teeshirt), two pairs of designer jeans, a cute dress (not a formal dress or even a church nice dress. More like a day dress I guess you might call it) and a teeshirt for my son for the grand total of around $30. Not bad, right? :-D

I am struggling with this idea for our upcoming cruise. The reason I am struggling? The extra packing for our family of four and the fact that the four of us do not truly have anything formal, the kids even semi-formal, so it would be be added costs for us to get some new digs!

I am on the fence with just sucking it up and buying some formal-ish wear (fear not, I am not talking three piece suits and such) Hoping some replies can help me make up my mind.

I know there is a whole "go dressed as you are camp" but I would feel frumpy and I also wouldn't want to offend anyone with our flip flops. :p

Can we expect many to be skipping the formal nights and dining elsewhere or are we going to be lonely sitting at the buffet?

Please do not skip the formal/elegant nights just because you feel you will or may be under dressed.

For the first time we are bringing our kids on the cruise with us. I am telling my kids that I would like them to each bring a carry-on suitcase. I think they will be able to fit everything they need for the cruise in that carry-on. We are then only checking 2 large suitcases that will carry the toiletries and the little overflow that I anticipate.

This cruise we are taking with the kids is one that we have been on 2 times w/o them. Knowing what we wore on those days we lived in our swimsuits and cover-ups and t-shirts. We needed only a couple of casual summer short and t-shirts because we had swimwear on for each island we embarked upon.

For formal nights I have always wore a simple dress or maxi skirt (think church clothes). My husband wore khakis and a collar shirt. For the other nights I made sure that clothes crossed over, meaning I would wore a skirt twice and change it up with a different shirt and jewelry.

I have been to a local 2nd hand consignment store and purchased collar shirts for my boys. (4.00 or less) Do you have any other events in the next year that you can use these clothes again?

I have found that there are people dressed like they are going to a prom event and other who dress like they are going to a casual church service. I have also seen people where there flip flops and sandals with their dress clothes.

And if you are the only four at your table...who will care?

Enjoy your vacation with your family!!

Please do not skip the formal/elegant nights just because you feel you will or may be under dressed.

For the first time we are bringing our kids on the cruise with us. I am telling my kids that I would like them to each bring a carry-on suitcase. I think they will be able to fit everything they need for the cruise in that carry-on. We are then only checking 2 large suitcases that will carry the toiletries and the little overflow that I anticipate.

This cruise we are taking with the kids is one that we have been on 2 times w/o them. Knowing what we wore on those days we lived in our swimsuits and cover-ups and t-shirts. We needed only a couple of casual summer short and t-shirts because we had swimwear on for each island we embarked upon.

For formal nights I have always wore a simple dress or maxi skirt (think church clothes). My husband wore khakis and a collar shirt. For the other nights I made sure that clothes crossed over, meaning I would wore a skirt twice and change it up with a different shirt and jewelry.

I have been to a local 2nd hand consignment store and purchased collar shirts for my boys. (4.00 or less) Do you have any other events in the next year that you can use these clothes again?

I have found that there are people dressed like they are going to a prom event and other who dress like they are going to a casual church service. I have also seen people where there flip flops and sandals with their dress clothes.

And if you are the only four at your table...who will care?

Enjoy your vacation with your family!!

My two cents for what it's worth is that you need to do whatever makes you and your family feel most comfortable, it's your vacation! If you want to get dressed up, there's been any suggestions how to make that work on a budget and with luggage issues. If you want to be laid-back and relaxed, go to the buffet and have at it. i've done both, and we've had fun either way. The bottom line is doing what's best for you and your family and what you feel comfortable with, then I think you have the most fun!

We always do formal night, mostly because I avoid the buffet at all costs. We've never had a good meal there! So we eat in the MDR whenever possible. But we also like to use it as a chance to do something a bit different from our everyday.

That said, we have two small DDs, and so I get the need to stay tight when packing. We do what many folks here have suggested and go for kind of a Sunday best look. Or maybe Date Night would be a better way to think of it. DH wears a shirt and tie, maybe a blazer if he's feeling like it. I wear a little black dress or a cocktail dress leftover from one of DH's work parties (gotta put it to use somehow!). And the girls wear nicer sun dresses and cute sandals.

I'm sure if you "shop your closet" you'll find something that will work. Or, you could try the thrift store as many have mentioned. I've bought a ton of stuff for our upcoming cruise at Joe Fresh. Super cute and VERY affordable. And they have lots of cute stuff for kids that can be worn again at school, etc.

We have only been on two cruise (Princess), so maybe the vibe is a bit different? The first cruise we went on, I had 5, yes I did say 5 boys, ages 17 and under. (one was my oldest son's best friend. ) I was lucky enough that a friend told me about a yearly sale that the tux shop has. A parking lot sale were they sell entire tux sets. I was able to buy each boy and my husband an entire tux including shoes for around $25 dollars or so. Two of them were white with long tails. They each had the vest and bow ties. The boys and hubby all looked super snazzy.

To this day, all the boys, now men, love to dress up. My hubby still fits his tux and shoes. The two oldest still fit theirs. Number 3 and four boys way out-grew theirs (6'4 and 6'2) I do have a couple tuxes left if anyone is in need, especially cute is one for a boy around age 10.

The same year, I myself didn't have anything nice so I asked the ladies at my church and everyone was more than happy to loan out their nice stuff. I just had to find a pair of shoes from payless. So you might try one of these options: call your local tux shop and see if they have anything like I mentioned. Ask your friends, church, people you know.

We did get the most beautiful pictures of the family all together and now the kids look forward to dressing up and don't even mind doing it for me! Good luck!

ps, I hope to possibly try Carnival eventually, and I will likely still dress up, because it is the only time I do!

Heading out next week. We usually have DH wear his sport coat on plane and just put in overhead. We attended a black tie formal wedding in October so DD12 has beautiful dress that I am tickled she can wear again. DS14 loves to put his "swag" on. Going with dockers, white shirt and as he says a "swagalicious" bow tie and suspenders. We clean up nice. LOL. But my question...is one formal night more "formal" than the other??? Planning on spiffing up first one but going for more "casual" resort wear the second one. Do I have formal vs formal nights wrong?

We have never missed elegant night on Carnival or formal night on other cruise lines. On Princess, Celebrity and RC most men will wear a suit or tux and you might feel out of place in just pants and a dress shirt. Carnival is much more casual. Men will be fine with docker type pants and a button down dress shirt. You will see many men with Hawaiian shirts or polos on elegant night. So the boys and men can just pack one pair on lightweight pants to wear on elegant nights if they plan on wearing shorts the other nights. My DH doesn't feel comfortable wearing shorts to dinner even though it's allowed on Carnival casual nights. He wears dockers and polos on casual nights and dress pants and long sleeve button down shirt on elegant nights on Carnival. Suits on formal nights on the other lines.

I bring one pair of dress shoes and two dresses. Sundresses ,maxis or capris and cute tops on Caribbean cruises for casual nights. Long pants and blouses on Alaska and NE/ Canada cruises. If flying I bring the lightest fabrics and shoes and bottoms I can wear more than once.

It's pretty easy to pack lightly and still follow Carnival's very liberal dress code.

I will usually go to the first elegant night just because I really enjoy the ribs they serve, and then skip the second one. It's nice time but if the ribs were on any other night I wouldn't go to any elegant night! I don't really think the menu is that amazing and a must do for it. Some people swear by the Lobster and eat it like it's their last meal, but I think that its just a ploy by Carnival to sell people on buying pictures because they convice them to get all dressed up and in a good mood because they look good and know they're about to eat unlimited lobster making some passengers more likely to buy buy buy all of those expensive pictures they take. I just bring a pair of slacks and a button down shirt, no extra shoes or dress socks. Nothing formal at all, just something I would wear to a wedding.

I wouln't worry about it too much though. It's not going to make or break your cruise if you don't attend. I don't know if you're flying in a day early but another option you could maybe do is find a thrift shop in the embarkation city to find some nice clothes for a cheap price and then just toss the clothes after the trip. That way it's not a big expense, and no worries about packing extra to cause higher baggage fees. You may also like them and decide to bring them home and you can stuff them in a backpack or something and take that as your personal item ontop of a carry-on. Just my two cents.

We all enjoy getting more dressed up than we usually do. I'll wear a suit on elegant nights and a dress shirt and tie the other nights while at dinner. It's what we like to do. Sometimes we feel overdressed but it's fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will not be lonely sitting in the buffet. There are always people there eating in the evenings. Some people eat in the dining room and then visit the buffet.

Some cruises I don't go to the main dining room at all except for sea day brunch. I take my dressy clothes with me on the cruise, but my decision of whether to go to the dining room is usually a game-time decision for me. I'm not too picky though. I look forward to Carnival's homemade soups at the buffet and can be happy with a bowl of that delicious soup and a trip to the salad bar. I'm just happy that I didn't have to cook and wash dishes!

Do what makes you happy. It is your vacation and the important thing is that you will be having fun with your family making new memories.

Have a great cruise!

I do believe the point of this thread, but I might be off base here, is to ask OTHER people what THEY do, not asking what people suggest the OP do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by klc0472

The thing that always makes me sort of make a face is when people complain about jeans in the dining room on elegant/formal night.

Honestly, it depends on the jeans. If they are bleached/worn looking, then no they don't belong there on formal night. But if they are "church jeans"--dark wash, nicely pressed...then absolutely. Jeans can be formal wear, or so I've always believed. I am, a Texan, after all and we wear our jeans (church or otherwise) at every available oppurtunity.

The same goes with cowboys hats...there are every day hats and then there are nice straw or felt "church" hats. Every day hats (which are beat up looking and stained usually) don't belong in the dining room but a nice "church" hat is fine, IMO.

Again...Texan. Cowboy hats are part of the unofficial uniform down here. :D JMO, YMMV.

Nothing to feel guilty about or struggle over, it's just dinner and most of all, It's YOUR vacation.

I haven't been to the dining room in the last 10 cruises. Heck, I don't even pack pants anymore. I don't miss the hours long production at all...

1. Getting ready to get ready.

2. Getting ready.

3. Lining up for dinner.

4. Getting seated, and waiting for the rest of the table to get seated.

5. Menu time!

6. Water and Roll time.

7. Ordering time.

8. Appetizer time.

9. Main Course time.

10. Desert time.

11. Hurrying to the lounge for the show.

12. Going back down to change clothes.

*Add picture time (optional)

I rather enjoy the quiet lido deck at dinner time, it gives us a chance to really talk, play cards, or whatever.

This is exactly how I feel. I am looking forward to having dinner on the lido deck this upcoming cruise. I really have no interest in the big mdr production this time.