Do YOU always participate on formal nights?

RCmommy

By "particpate" I assume you mean get all gussied up. Answer: somewhat. I take a nice pair of dressy black slacks and tops both dressy and glitzy. All tops have to go with those slacks. Hubby brings dark dress pants and a few long sleeved dress shirts. Thats how we particiate. And we love it. I feel we "conform" to the dress guidelines of the day. We used to bring a tux and beaded dresses and shoes and purses for every outfit etc. We also used to each have 2 pieces of luggage. Leaving all those heavy clothes at home makes for lighter luggage and no additional fees from the airlines.

Edited by Boozebabe

I am packing for two adults and two kids. Between the four of us, it is a lot of gear!

We usually bring just one extra suitcase anbd use that as a shared suitcase for some extras and we weigh our own suitcases the night before to make sure they are not overweight.

The hubs and I do dress up, but not black tie and ball gowns.

Generally, I'd say the least you can/should do for men is a pair of pants that aren't jeans, a collar shirt with a tie and/or a jacket (blazer is fine). A tie takes no space to speak of and can be picked up pretty cheap.

For a woman, really, a simple dress or dress pants and a top, with blingy jewelry or a scarf, and shoes that aren't beachy rubber flipflops is fine.

The kids get a bit more leeway, depending on age, but the same as above is fine for them, too.

When I took my son (who was a mid-teen at the time) on a cruise, we made a trip to Salvation Army/Goodwill and found him a navy blazer for really cheap. It worked fine with chinos and a collar shirt and tie. (This was quite a few years ago, so the dress code was a bit dressier)

Do you never go to church? Weddings? Graduations? Cocktail parties? Anything you'd wear to any of those would be fine. Kids can wear what they wear to school- pants and a polo shirt. Same for your husband. A dress, if you truly don't own one, can be had from Walmart or Target for $20 paired with blingy flip flops. If you don't want to miss out I'm sure you could find something in your closet that would be just fine. Enjoy yourself and ignore anymore who says you have to be super fancy.

We enjoy dressing up for formal nights; for us it has always been part of the cruising experience. Even our kids who are now adults look forward to it because it was something kind of special back when they were young.

We haven't cruised Carnival in some years and it sounds like it isn't the same as it was. But our next Carnival cruise is the Mediterranean and I'm told the Europeans still like to dress up for the evenings. We will see.

Burt

Nothing to feel guilty about or struggle over, it's just dinner and most of all, It's YOUR vacation.

I haven't been to the dining room in the last 10 cruises. Heck, I don't even pack pants anymore. I don't miss the hours long production at all...

1. Getting ready to get ready.

2. Getting ready.

3. Lining up for dinner.

4. Getting seated, and waiting for the rest of the table to get seated.

5. Menu time!

6. Water and Roll time.

7. Ordering time.

8. Appetizer time.

9. Main Course time.

10. Desert time.

11. Hurrying to the lounge for the show.

12. Going back down to change clothes.

*Add picture time (optional)

I rather enjoy the quiet lido deck at dinner time, it gives us a chance to really talk, play cards, or whatever.

Forget the blazer, the tie, the cocktail dress. On elegant night my wife wears slacks or capris and a nice top. I wear dockers and long sleeve shirt. Kids can wear dockers and golf shirt or girl's top.

You will find that you are more in the majority than the minority. These outfits will meet the Carnival elegant night dress code and you will be more comfortable at dinner.

Don't miss out on the fun & food of elegant night. Also, family photos are just as nice in casual clothes as they are in formal clothes.

Once upon a time it was an elegant affair with you being presented to the capt.

Now it is an excuse to sell you piictures and the days of me wearing a suit and tie are gone replaced with business casual attire.

You can buy pictures if you like. If you don't want to, you certainly don't have to. I think this is probably the one night the photographers don't have to worry about meeting a quota or selling shots. On our last cruise both elegant nights literally jammed up the Promenade deck from people lining up to take pics. Plenty of folks get dressed up, which I think is nice. We just aren't that into it like we used to be. Also, it's nice to meet the captain, but get dolled up for yourself as part of your vacation memories- not somebody else.

I participate, in the fact that I do dress up a wee bit more than other nights, but I no longer go all out with long dress or glitz anymore, because I dont have to. But I still make a bit of an extra effort to doll up a bit more those nights.

I haven't dressed up for formal nights in over 10 years and don't plan on starting back up. I went last year due to having my nephew with me, and him wanting something on the menu. He wore a polo shirt. :) It doesn't matter to me what other's wear and actually am amused at some of the "looks" I get in my shorts and tshirt in the public areas (I don't enter the dining rooms and eat in the buffet).

So flame away and do what you want. :)

Sort of, yeah. We dress up in "church nice" clothes but we don't go all out for formal wear.

Yes, that's basically how we dress. DH likes to wear a suit, but when he forgot his nice clothes bag (long story involving a flooded basement), he went to elegant night in Walmart khakis (purchased on the way to the port), polo shirt, and sneakers. DS always wears khakis, polo, and his sneakers because dress shoes are not a battle I choose to fight with my teen. The girls and I wear simple dresses, not fancy evening gowns. I've even been known to wear my church ballet flats instead of dressy shoes. Nice sandals (not flip flops) would also be okay. I have found decent dresses at Target and have friends who find second-hand steals at consignment shops.

Personally, I would never give up the prime rib and lobster. You might consider ways to reduce what you pack while having something that will pass for elegant night.

We do, because we like to "dress up," but you don't have to. As long as your clothes are clean, we have seen people just wearing casual wear at our table, but it doesn't bother us.

This is just a suggestion. I grew up with "thrift stores." NOW I get all my formal outfits there. As for cleaning these formal dresses, I do it myself. I either wash/drip dry or clean with Woollite, or something like that. I'm not out a lot of money, and I get compliments all the time on my clothes. The dresses can be long or short, doesn't matter, as well as fancy blouses, skirts, pant suits. As for the children (my son has 7 boys), you would be amazed what you can pick up at the thrift store.

Hubby and I always dress up for formal nights because we simply already had the clothes from University balls and formal events. However I did get excited for my first cruise and bought a new flowy gown specially.

Our cruises have been longer, more formal feeling cruises anyway but we did see passengers wearing normal evening clothes on formal night. Personally, I dress up for dinner every night (same as back home when going out) as I am a tomboy the rest of the time...its like 2 personas. :D

I have this tradition on holiday/a cruise where I saunter round in my robe for a bit with wine and do my make up and hair....then I relax and put my clothes on before heading to dinner/for a meal.

If they didn't have elegant nights I'd miss them. I love seeing everyone looking great and everyone who does seems to dress well also seems to have a great time doing it!

I like to bring a tux and have tons of fun coverbun/tie combos. I love it when my gal looks glamerous (and sexy!) It also reminisces me of the past truly elegant days of ship travel.

I think many people miss some of the fun on a cruise and dress every day as a day at the ball park. Casual is casual and I won't slight anyone for having as relaxing a vacation as they want. But even with the elegant night(s) there are plenty of nights to dress down.

1 vote for elegant nights!

We are also a family of 4. My husband & myself and our 23 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter.

We do participate in formal night. Both guys wear the same suit but with a different shirt & tie. My daughter & I wear something different each night. She usually wears one of her short 'homecoming' dresses and I either wear a blingy dress or my chiffon pants with beaded top.

We dress up every night though because we enjoy it. The guys wear dress pants and either shirt/tie or a polo. I wear dressy capri pants and 'nicer' blouses. I got a lot of my things at Dress Barn. They have great sales. My daughter wears skirts, slacks, sun dresses, etc.

We have a lot of luggage and also hate paying $100 for our luggage to fly. (We each check one big one). I just got the Delta Skymiles card and we won't have to pay for those anymore. Each of us get one free checked bag.

Our First cruise we wore a tux and gown and had a ball and that memorie will always be cherished. Every cruise since we have just dressed as someone else said church like, or even a nice family gathering where you dress to impress. I cannot stand the ones that come in jeans and shorts and yes sometime they do because they don't always stop like they are suppose to . According to dress code for Carnival dress code. It is 1 or 2 nights depending on the length of cruise. Think of it as teaching your kids that yes sometime we do dress up a little as a family to have dinner..

;)

We always do "elegant evening." I would say that a pair of kakhis, a dress shirt and tie is average - there are some men that wear jackets and others that wear no tie. I pack for me, DH and 2 boys (10 and 16) for an entire week - each of us with a carry on and a backpack.

Each male person gets for a 7 day cruise:

a t-shirt for each day

4-6 pairs of neutral shorts

4 polos for casual dinner

2 buttondown shirts and ties

1 pair of kakhis

1 pair jeans

2-3 bathing suits

underwear and socks

dress shoes

flip flops and/or water shoes

The boys all fly wearing jeans, a shirt and a sweatshirt/jacket and tennis.

shoes.

The only thing different for me is instead of the shirts ties and kakhis, I take two light weight non wrinkle dresses that you can get at Ross for $15 or less each. The kids dress shirts can be purchased in a set with a tie for $10 at Walmart. "Dress shoes" can be any kind of black slip on that the kids can wear everyday - the kind that has tread on the bottom works great.

It all fits into the carry on suitcase, and then we all have the backpack for ipads, toiletries. meds, extra swimsuit or clothes in case luggage is not timely to room etc.

There really is no need to pack more than that; and we really don't have to do laundry. The thing we are most likely to run out of is underwear but that can be done in the sink and hung on clothesline to dry. If you think about it, you are in a swimsuit much of the day. You might wear the shorts for a few hours here or there during the day or at evening so you can easily get 2 separate wearings out of them; and Levi's swears not to wash them!

So really packing for elegant evening just isn't that much. And IMHO it is a fun experience and something that should be experienced by kids; there are times in life (weddings, funerals, job interviews and court appearances to name a few) where dressing "up" is appropriate. Don't get me wrong - I love a good BBQ or picnic, but it is nice to know how to be versatile and what is appropriate and when. So my vote is try it!