Conquest

bc cruiser

I understand we were supposed to have a Mardi Gras theme night on board. I even bought some items pretaining to this but now I can't imagine anyone wanting to celebrate such an event that is so connected to New Orleans. I suppose we also will not have 2 sea days in the beginning because Galveston is roughly 300 miles further west of New Orleans. I feel so badly for the victims of Katrina . We live in the panhandle of Florida and some people here still have plywood on their windows from Ivan. I guess they plan on leaving them up until hurricane season is over. I was on a carnival cruise ship in 1998 when hurricane Mitch came along and the captain was trying to outrun it, and he did. I have an amazing video tape of it. I was on the top deck and at times I couldn't see the front of the ship, and then it would come back up from the waves and I could see the bow.

bc cruiser

When we celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, July 4th, our own birthdays or even those of our country's past leaders - we remember. To NOT continue to celebrate these religious, cultural, or personal events means we have forgotten or no longer find them important enough to honor, celebrate or enjoy. Failure to participate or enjoy a Mardi Gras celebration on your upcoming cruise would be akin to your refusal to sing the Star Spangled Banner after the the 9/11 attacks.

I feel our human tragedy after the death toll is tallied will equal or exceed the 9/11 tragedy in New York. People will not only experience loss of life, loss of family and friends, but also jobs and the normal way of life. Many will remain in the cities to which they have been evacuated - Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, San Francisco, Memphis, St. Louis, etc. Many will never return to the city that is known as the "Big Easy".

You can feel guilty about shunning a person that has been transplanted into your community, you can feel gulty about not sending a donation to the Red Cross, your local church, or food bank, or offering a prayer for those in need, but please do not feel guilty about celebrating Mardi Gras.

An integral part of New Orleans and the Louisiana culture is the celebration of Mardi Gras. We are proud to have contributed to a world wide celebration that is meant to increase enjoyment of life. Mardi Gras will return to New Orleans as soon as possible and we ask that you continue to celebrate for us until we can be an active part in that Celebration.

Archived