Amtrak PDX-SEA for June sailing

klr6773

We are sailing on the Pearl June 14 and have toyed with driving up and parking versus taking Amtrak ( from PDX).. Thinking the train might be a nicer,more relaxing way to go.

However,upon review,Amtrak gets to SEA at 12:10pm. I've never not flown into port the night before,so I just wonder if I'm being a worrywart that I'm arriving " so close" to departure. Hotels are ridiculously priced,so we've decided against an overnight.

Parking would be $140 plus say $25 gas.

Amtrak is $104 plus cab rides to and from pier.

Amtrak timing sound ok to everyone?

Thx!

We are sailing on the Pearl June 14 and have toyed with driving up and parking versus taking Amtrak ( from PDX).. Thinking the train might be a nicer,more relaxing way to go.

However,upon review,Amtrak gets to SEA at 12:10pm. I've never not flown into port the night before,so I just wonder if I'm being a worrywart that I'm arriving " so close" to departure. Hotels are ridiculously priced,so we've decided against an overnight.

Parking would be $140 plus say $25 gas.

Amtrak is $104 plus cab rides to and from pier.

Amtrak timing sound ok to everyone?

The timing will probably be okay, maybe a little hassle-ish on the Seattle end. I think that train originates in Eugene so lateness shouldn't be a problem (unlike the Starlight or any train originating in California, which would be a real nail-biter due to chronic lateness.)

However, unless you live in the Pearl District or right downtown, won't you need to pay for transportation to Union Station in Portland? Or for parking near the station? Just looking at the budget.

The train ride is nice, certainly nicer than I-5 (which, as you probably know, isn't a high bar) but if it were me I'd probably drive. After all, you're going to be on a boat for a week, plenty of relaxation and scenery there.

Note to SadieN - round trip flights would be on the order of $150 per person, plus transport to/from the airports, so roughly double the driving/train costs, and counting check-in and bag claim, not a lot quicker door-to-door.

What would an early morning flight cost?

About $300. total for the two of us,plus the cost of checking bags. A bit too high.

Thinking I'm just going to book the train and not worry ..it will be nice to not have to deal with inevitable I-5 traffic heading up there!

Just an FYI, if you are willing to cross the Columbia, the Vancouver, WA station has free parking. Vancouver is the first stop after Portland.

Thanks for the tip! Shouldn't be hard to find a friend drop us off downtown.

Hello,

Klr6773 please let us know how you did the train when you return (getting to and from the ship). Think NCL docks downtown near Pikes Market. We usually drive, have flown, but taken Princess which docks further down in the port area. They do have reasonable parking there, but they don't transfer you to NCL.

We leave early between 7 & 8am, have time to stop at Walmart etc on the way (in case forgot anything) & we do miss traffic and take our time driving. We prefer to drive as flying is about the same time by the time you go through the airport and no checked luggage. We want to take the train, so can't wait to hear from you. We use "Northwest Limo Service" to go to airport and they are reasonable and excellent service, they can get you to the train too.

Have a wonderful cruise. Seadeck2

Hello,

Klr6773 please let us know how you did the train when you return (getting to and from the ship). Think NCL docks downtown near Pikes Market. We usually drive, have flown, but taken Princess which docks further down in the port area. They do have reasonable parking there, but they don't transfer you to NCL.

We leave early between 7 & 8am, have time to stop at Walmart etc on the way (in case forgot anything) & we do miss traffic and take our time driving. We prefer to drive as flying is about the same time by the time you go through the airport and no checked luggage. We want to take the train, so can't wait to hear from you. We use "Northwest Limo Service" to go to airport and they are reasonable and excellent service, they can get you to the train too.

Have a wonderful cruise. Seadeck2

Will certainly let you know how the train works out after we get back! We too have driven up to SEA on several occasions. This is a first taking the train, but we've talked about doing it a few times. Actually going to book the tickets tonight,as well as a few excursions we don't want to lose!

Last July we sailed on the Pearl out of Seattle. We took the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles arriving the evening before the cruise. We stayed at the Marriot Pioneer Square, a convenient spot for both King Street Station and Pikes Market and Pier 66. Upon return from the cruise, we again overnighted in Seattle and took the train back to LA.

I'm a rail fan and choose to not fly anymore (the hassles, not fear) so, we choose cruises and other trips that are Amtrak accessible. For us, the train is part of the vacation not simply a way to get there. Our train trip was a very enjoyable experience along with the cruise. The train, by the way, was "free" the bedroom accommodations paid for with points from Amtrak's Guest Rewards Program. Parking at LA Union Station is $6 per day.