NCL Jade out of Houston

jbiz

I will be sailing on the NCL Jade 4/9/2016 and am booked in the 2br Haven.. having only sailed out of the east coast embarkation ports, does it matter for this embarkation or these ports below which side of the ship my room is on?

Sat Houston, Texas (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Sun At Sea --- ---

Mon Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Tue Harvest Caye, Belize 10:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu At Sea --- ---

Fri At Sea --- ---

Sat Houston, Texas (DISEMBARK) 10:00 am ---

thanks!

We were on the Jewel last week, standard outside cabin, starboard. Basically the same itinerary. In Cozumel we were opposite the port, Belize is a tender port so not sure it matters. We did a different stop in Roatan, but again were not facing the port.

From what I have been able to learn about Harvest Caye it looks like ships will dock facing either east or west. Until ships begin calling next fall there is just no way to know which direction ships will generally face.

We are sailing on the Jade in November and we pondered this same question when picking our cabin. We decided on starboard to face sunrise on the final two sea days. We are early risers and will enjoy coffee on our balcony watching the sun come up. If you are late sleepers or just prefer sunset you might want to consider port side instead.

In Cozumel we will likely dock downtown at Punta Langosta. Port side usually faces town but not always. Roatan seems to be a crap shoot from what I can tell. Perhaps someone else has a better handle on that stop.

Only time when the specific side of the ship can matter scenery wise is when arriving/leaving ports. Other than that nobody here can tell which side would be better because the orientation of the ship when in port can vary based on weather, maintenance and/or security needs etc.

How some ship on another cruise has docked in one specific port doesn't tell you how the ship on your specific cruise will dock there.

We sailed on the Jewel out of Houston in January and will be sailing on the Jade in January 2016. We had a starboard balcony on the Jewel and chose one again on the Jade. The only reason I chose it is because at the port in Houston, the starboard side faces the port, so we could watch all the activity of people boarding, the ship being re-stocked, etc. At Cozumel it didn't matter and the other two ports (Belize City and Trujillo, Honduras) were tender ports and will be different in 2016 anyway. Looking forward to going to Roatan and Harvest Caye.

Edited by hawk1972

The only reason I chose it is because at the port in Houston, the starboard side faces the port, so we could watch all the activity of people boarding, the ship being re-stocked, etc.

My previous statement applies to embarkation/disembarkation ports too. For example while ships usually face the ocean (dock on starboard side) in Port of Miami, sometimes they dock facing the city (dock on port side) for the reasons I stated.

Edited by Demonyte

My previous statement applies to embarkation/disembarkation ports too. For example while ships usually face the ocean (dock on starboard side) in Port of Miami, sometimes they dock facing the city (dock on port side) for the reasons I stated.

You are correct that there is no guarantee which way a ship will tie up. However there is often a preponderance which might be worth considering if you enjoy watching the coming and going on the piers. Deciding which side will face sunrise or sunset on sea days can be done with much greater certainty.

Remember port calls themselves are not guaranteed. I still put thought into which itinerary I choose.

• 3 months later...
I will be sailing on the NCL Jade 4/9/2016 ...

thanks!

Since your post is now three months old I am not sure you'll be back to see this message. But just in case wanted to let you know I am also on that cruise and have started a Roll Call for it. Hopefully as time gets closer, more people will sign in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215262

• 2 weeks later...

Something to consider....we were on the jewel in April of this year in a two bedroom suite 11518. When we docked in Cozumel we faced another ship. Our shower has a full length window, there is a white shade but you can see thru it. I wasn't comfortable taking the chance of giving a show to the other cruisers. Plan accordingly...I wound up using the shower in the other bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi Yawl Joe from Boston cruising with you in April 2016 on the last NCL ship I haven't been on. This will complete my task of cruising each ship. Woo Whoo :) See you all on board & sign me up for the M&G and anything else we decide to do!!

Hi Yawl Joe from Boston cruising with you in April 2016 on the last NCL ship I haven't been on. This will complete my task of cruising each ship. Woo Whoo :) See you all on board & sign me up for the M&G and anything else we decide to do!!

This is not a Roll Call thread.

There is a link "Find Your Norwegian Roll Call" on top of every page on this NCL forum, here is the direct link to search Jade Roll Calls: http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=24&ship_id=438

We are in an aft PH suite the week before and we are starboard. We wanted the 10th deck and port was already booked. Now all of the SF suites are booked. I am glad we booked a year early!

I agree with the other posters as to sometimes it is the luck of the draw as to which side is tied to port.

I live in Houston and have taken a cruise out of the Bayport terminal. Your best bet is Hobby.

how far is the other airport.. seems that is where United likes to fly..

I am taking this same cruise in November in the 2 bedroom. Go for the port (left) side. And Harvest Caye is irrelevant to the OP as it won't be open yet. You'll be going to Belize City instead.

Edited by Bluefox