Norovirus

xyankee

Absolutely so. Still, it is in the best interest, as a good will gesture, to offer compensation as an incentive.

Compensation as an incentive to be a responsible adult and prevent the spread of the illness? Does someone with Noro, or recovering from it, really want to be out and about?

Sadly, we have all been in the situation to have missed an event in our lives due to some sort of illness. It happens.

Edited by kendon

My husband and I were infected with the Noro virus on a RCCL cruise years ago. We were confined for 72 hours and were given $250 each towards another cruise to be taken within 12 months. We hadn't asked for anything, this was just given to us. I thought it was very generous.

I find it odd that all occupants of a cabin where Noro is present are not quarrantined. Those cabins are so small, I don't see how one person can have it and another not be in some contact with the virus as a result - using the same toilet, etc. Even if they don't get it (yet) the "healthy" person is still leaving the infected cabin and interacting with other passengers. When we had it, the cabin was not cleaned until after we were well so the virus was all over the place.:eek: I wonder how many of those healthy people end up getting sick after leaving the ship and after carrying it around the ship before showing any symptoms. Don't flame me, this is just my opinion.:)

If someone is confined to a cabin with noro, what do they do to make sure the room is clean before the next set of passengers arrive?

A quarantined cabin is treated the same as when the entire ship does a "deep clean" following a reportable outbreak. The entire cabin will be fogged with the ship's disinfectant (Virkon or the like) to cover all hard and soft surfaces. The linens are "red bagged" and then washed separately in a dedicated medical washing machine in the laundry (hotter temperature, more bleach, etc.).

My husband and I were infected with the Noro virus on a RCCL cruise years ago. We were confined for 72 hours and were given $250 each towards another cruise to be taken within 12 months. We hadn't asked for anything, this was just given to us. I thought it was very generous.

I find it odd that all occupants of a cabin where Noro is present are not quarrantined. Those cabins are so small, I don't see how one person can have it and another not be in some contact with the virus as a result - using the same toilet, etc. Even if they don't get it (yet) the "healthy" person is still leaving the infected cabin and interacting with other passengers. When we had it, the cabin was not cleaned until after we were well so the virus was all over the place.:eek: I wonder how many of those healthy people end up getting sick after leaving the ship and after carrying it around the ship before showing any symptoms. Don't flame me, this is just my opinion.:)

Good point.

A quarantined cabin is treated the same as when the entire ship does a "deep clean" following a reportable outbreak. The entire cabin will be fogged with the ship's disinfectant (Virkon or the like) to cover all hard and soft surfaces. The linens are "red bagged" and then washed separately in a dedicated medical washing machine in the laundry (hotter temperature, more bleach, etc.).

Thanks for the info. I'm getting worried as we'll be on the Caribbean Princess in a couple of weeks.

Wow, that was nice.

But your post made me think about an ongoing outbreak which lingers cruise after cruise. Should a cruise line take responsibility and offer some sort of compensation if the outbreak cannot be contained after multiple cruises? It is their responsibility to clean and disinfect and if not done well, it puts the new cruise passengers in a precarious position.

Wow, that was nice.

But your post made me think about an ongoing outbreak which lingers cruise after cruise. Should a cruise line take responsibility and offer some sort of compensation if the outbreak cannot be contained after multiple cruises? It is their responsibility to clean and disinfect and if not done well, it puts the new cruise passengers in a precarious position.

A multiple cruise outbreak is not necessarily caused by poor management of sanitation. The ship can be completely sanitized (though no public space anywhere can be considered completely sanitized), and when the next passenger boards that is ill and touches a handrail the whole process starts again. Multiple cruise outbreaks tend to happen at times when people are susceptible, so a new patient "zero" can easily restart a contamination.

A multiple cruise outbreak is not necessarily caused by poor management of sanitation. The ship can be completely sanitized (though no public space anywhere can be considered completely sanitized), and when the next passenger boards that is ill and touches a handrail the whole process starts again. Multiple cruise outbreaks tend to happen at times when people are susceptible, so a new patient "zero" can easily restart a contamination.

I guess you are right. Would the terminal be a source of infection or are they routinely cleaned after a ship outbreak?

I guess you are right. Would the terminal be a source of infection or are they routinely cleaned after a ship outbreak?

Since the terminal is not owned by the cruise line, they are not responsible for its cleanliness. The terminal does not meet the USPH requirements, but instead the local health codes. But, to answer your question, yes, the terminal can be a source of infection, as can be the airplanes the passengers fly in on, and the taxi, as well as the porters. One real problem is that a lot of passengers don't wash their hands upon embarkation before going to the buffet, since the cabins are not available.

According to someone who is on the Caribbean Princess right now and writing a blog, the Captain gave an update yesterday on the ship's norovirus situation. He said the number of cases has not dropped and they will continue under Code Red for the remainder of the cruise which is only one more day. Not sure if code red will continue to the next cruise (a 5 nighter).

Since the terminal is not owned by the cruise line, they are not responsible for its cleanliness. The terminal does not meet the USPH requirements, but instead the local health codes. But, to answer your question, yes, the terminal can be a source of infection, as can be the airplanes the passengers fly in on, and the taxi, as well as the porters. One real problem is that a lot of passengers don't wash their hands upon embarkation before going to the buffet, since the cabins are not available.

Since they use the same terminal, are other ships infected, too?

Edited by metairiegal

Since they use the same terminal, are other ships infected, too?

They can be. Remember, noro is not limited to cruise ships. Anyone on any street or in any building or on any airplane on any given day has noro virus on their skin. It's all a matter of how densely the people are packed, and how the individual personal hygiene is as to whether noro will "outbreak". I cannot remember a single cruise where there was not one reported case of intestinal illness.

Good point.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting worried as we'll be on the Caribbean Princess in a couple of weeks.

It looks like we will be on the same cruise. I think if we follow all of the prevention steps the ship has in place and are diligent about hand washing, etc. we'll be fine. I'm not about to let the possibility of getting sick ruin a cruise that I've been looking forward to for so long. If it happens, it happens and we'll deal with it then.

How about trying some self preventative measures, like buying and using hand sanitizer, a good product that we've used for years is "Germstar noro".

We buy it by the case, of 25 , 2oz. bottles. If you look it up on Google, they also have pen like bottles to carry in your purse or pocket. :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebec city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

32nd cruise - Crown Princess, 20 - 27 Dec. 2014, 7 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT.

According to the CDC, within the past 5 years the breakdown of infected ships is this:

Princess = 14

Celebrity = 10

Royal Caribbean = 8

Holland America = 5

NCL = 3

P&O, Crystal, Oceania and Carnival each have = 1

Those are the ships where the reportable cases reached 3% and "update" reports were issued by USPH. Many more ships (nearly all) have a few cases each cruise, and reports are sent to USPH every cruise that has at least one GI reportable case. And more than what is listed above have reached the 2% level where the ship must make a report during a cruise.

Thanks. You are always very informative.

Those are the ships where the reportable cases reached 3% and "update" reports were issued by USPH. Many more ships (nearly all) have a few cases each cruise, and reports are sent to USPH every cruise that has at least one GI reportable case. And more than what is listed above have reached the 2% level where the ship must make a report during a cruise.

I agree, that post would be a little misleading. :(

It looks like we will be on the same cruise. I think if we follow all of the prevention steps the ship has in place and are diligent about hand washing, etc. we'll be fine. I'm not about to let the possibility of getting sick ruin a cruise that I've been looking forward to for so long. If it happens, it happens and we'll deal with it then.

We are on the Caribbean Princess in a couple weeks as well. We just plan on taking disinfecting wipes and wiping down the surfaces and phone in the room, as well as using hand sanitizers. I am sure we will be fine. :)

If someone is confined to a cabin with noro, what do they do to make sure the room is clean before the next set of passengers arrive?

When my DH had food poisoning, but Dr felt not Noro, a special crew cleaned and disinfected the bathroom after his bout of making like a volcano. They wore a disposable suit, mask, and gloves. They dealt with soiled towels. Stewart would hand me clean towels. Once DH cleared quarantine, 24 hours in his case, the guy in the hazmat suit disinfected the bathroom again. Then steward entered and thoroughly cleaned whole room, all surfaces.

I felt the whole thing was handled well by Princess.

He had to eat in MDR rest of cruise, more for his own protection than anything, as Dr felt he was not contagious but digestive tract more vulnerable than usual.

When my DH had food poisoning, but Dr felt not Noro, a special crew cleaned and disinfected the bathroom after his bout of making like a volcano. They wore a disposable suit, mask, and gloves. They dealt with soiled towels. Stewart would hand me clean towels. Once DH cleared quarantine, 24 hours in his case, the guy in the hazmat suit disinfected the bathroom again. Then steward entered and thoroughly cleaned whole room, all surfaces.

I felt the whole thing was handled well by Princess.

He had to eat in MDR rest of cruise, more for his own protection than anything, as Dr felt he was not contagious but digestive tract more vulnerable than usual.

There are many that think its food poisoning, the onboard medical staff have seen it all. Better safe then sorry.

As you mentioned Princess does an excellent job.