Q/A thread?

perferd

No.

But if you want an accurate, judged, experienced and thoughtful answer to a question, then if you provide as much information to a question, then you will get the best and most honest answer anyone here can provide without anyone having to second guess any of your what if's.

ex techie

Ok thanks...

I know some places don't like the clutter or a question asked a million times before asked again lol.

As for searching it can be quite a task and even though something might be close it might be exactly what was wanted or needed...

Random thought lots of people like them and use them. I know people hate searching forever or don't want to start a whole thread for one question...

Thanks again

Welcome and enjoy the site!

My only ask is you think about the question and provide as much information as possible.

IMO the site isn't a replacement for Google, but a place to get information that isn't available elsewhere and valued advice from cruisers that are informed and offer their opinions/recommendations on what to do or not to do.

ex techie

When will Nov Dec 2016 come out for Port Canaveral 7day Caribbean Cruise?

Is there a better time to book those dates i.e. as soon as they come out a month in last minute or doesn't make a diff...for best price?

Might be difficult to answer but...Do you think it would be cheaper to book a room for 5 or a room for 4 and just pay another couple going with you with 1 kid to put your 3rd child on their room?

Thanks

When will Nov Dec 2016 come out for Port Canaveral 7day Caribbean Cruise?

Is there a better time to book those dates i.e. as soon as they come out a month in last minute or doesn't make a diff...for best price?

Might be difficult to answer but...Do you think it would be cheaper to book a room for 5 or a room for 4 and just pay another couple going with you with 1 kid to put your 3rd child on their room?

Thanks

Current speculation for summer 2016 cruises is running early to mid March release. I'd guess fall/winter 2016 won't be out until June/July.

It's best to book as close to opening day as possible for the lowest rates. As the space onboard fills, prices increase.

The first two people in any room pay full adult fare (regardless of age) subsequent people in the room pay reduced fares. These rates can vary, depending on the ages of the 3rd, 4th, & 5th guests in the room. Children at various ages cost different. I don't know specific costs, but, for example, a 3rd passenger that is 3 years old pays less than a 3rd passenger who is 15 years old. At least that's how it used to be.

You'd have to crunch the numbers yourself to figure out which way works cheapest for you.

THe remainder of the 2016 rates are rumored to be coming out in March...so any time now. Rates are usually lower when they come out. The last minute specials often return rates to just about the opening day rates AND have restrictions attached.

It will almost always be cheaper to book a 4 person room and put one of the children in the room with the other couple. BUT consider the downside to doing this--what if the other couple cancels but you are still going? And while it is an unlikely event, even if you have rooms next to each other, it is possible to be at separate muster stations (not likely, but possible). I realize that you don't plan to need a muster station other than for the drill, but.....

I would probably base the decision on who the other couple is. Grandma and grandpa--put kid with them. Friends? How sure are you that they are going? Problem--if they cancel their cruise, there is no promise that you'll be able to move to a cabin that will sleep all 5 of you and add the child.

Thanks...

We wouldn't actually sleep the kid with the couple just put the rate on their lower room category so we also get the lower room category. Solid point on that couple cancelling will have to keep that in mind for the couples going with no or 1 kid...

When booking do you just put a percentage down to hold the room and is it Fully refundable up until a certain point?

Thanks...

We wouldn't actually sleep the kid with the couple just put the rate on their lower room category so we also get the lower room category. Solid point on that couple cancelling will have to keep that in mind for the couples going with no or 1 kid...

When booking do you just put a percentage down to hold the room and is it Fully refundable up until a certain point?

Deposits are 20% of cruise fare. Fully refundable (unless it's Concierge) up until Paid in Full date.

Currently the penalty date for cruises out of Port Canaveral lasting less than 8 days is 75 days before embarkation (full refund up to then). BUT it is rumored that there are new policies coming out right before the date/rate announcements. The rumor is that this policy is changing--probably making the date more than the 75 days out.

20% deposit is required.

After the "penalty date," you lose a portion of what you've paid depending on how far out you cancel.

Perfect thanks...

Another hard one maybe can't answer....Say cruise A right now only 3 months out is $5K. Is there a general idea what cruise A Was priced at opening days?

Do deals come out right with opening days or do those come out days weeks months later? Example Canadian deals military deals etc etc.

On top of that if you book X deal and 3 months later Y deal comes out better can you call and get the better deal?

Perfect thanks...

Another hard one maybe can't answer....Say cruise A right now only 3 months out is $5K. Is there a general idea what cruise A Was priced at opening days?

Do deals come out right with opening days or do those come out days weeks months later? Example Canadian deals military deals etc etc.

On top of that if you book X deal and 3 months later Y deal comes out better can you call and get the better deal?

If you go here:

well, nevermind - there is a site you can look up prices, but apparently it's banned here, sorry.

and find the cruise you are interested in, hover over category you want to know about, and the prices beginning with opening day will display.

Opening day prices are pretty much all there are. Until (most of the time) after the PIF date. Then, on those cruises that DCL deems "not selling well", discount pricing may be offered. These are generally military; Florida resident; last minute restricted fares (*GT). Usually only one of these will be offered. And they are not offered on all cruises.

If there is a lower price offered, pre-PIF date, you can switch to lower price. That rarely happens.

If *GT, military or Fl resident rates are offered after PIF date, the FL resident rate can be applied to an already existing reservation. The military and *GT rates are for "new bookings only", so you would have to figure whether the savings outweigh any penalties you would have to pay for cancelling and rebooking.

If you do a search for cruise price tracker, you'll probably find the site I use.

Edited by Shmoo here

If you go here:

well, nevermind - there is a site you can look up prices, but apparently it's banned here, sorry.

and find the cruise you are interested in, hover over category you want to know about, and the prices beginning with opening day will display.

Opening day prices are pretty much all there are. Until (most of the time) after the PIF date. Then, on those cruises that DCL deems "not selling well", discount pricing may be offered. These are generally military; Florida resident; last minute restricted fares (*GT). Usually only one of these will be offered. And they are not offered on all cruises.

If there is a lower price offered, pre-PIF date, you can switch to lower price. That rarely happens.

If *GT, military or Fl resident rates are offered after PIF date, the FL resident rate can be applied to an already existing reservation. The military and *GT rates are for "new bookings only", so you would have to figure whether the savings outweigh any penalties you would have to pay for cancelling and rebooking.

If you do a search for cruise price tracker, you'll probably find the site I use.

Sorry confused a bit...

Site doesn't work for me...

Not interested in any specific cruise (outside what i listed above) just thought there might be some sort of gauge like cruises starts at 1k opening day 3 months in prices raise 10%, 6 in 20%, 9 in 30% etc etc. All completely general round numbers not for anything specific...

PIF? GT?

Opening day prices are all there are? As in the price is the price and never changes except for deals or you mean in relation to the website you linked...

Sorry confused a bit...

Site doesn't work for me...

Not interested in any specific cruise (outside what i listed above) just thought there might be some sort of gauge like cruises starts at 1k opening day 3 months in prices raise 10%, 6 in 20%, 9 in 30% etc etc. All completely general round numbers not for anything specific...

PIF? GT?

Opening day prices are all there are? As in the price is the price and never changes except for deals or you mean in relation to the website you linked...

There's no rhyme or definite schedule for price increases. As the space fills within specific categories the prices rise. Sometimes those increases can be quite dramatic (as in within hours), other times it may take months. It just depends on how popular the time of year is, or the specific itineraries are.

PIF = Paid In Full

GT= guarantee. There are two different guarantee categories. When categories reach a certain percentage of rooms in any specific category have been reserved the category goes GTY (guarantee). That means you can't select a specific room within a category, but are guaranteed you will be assigned (by DCL) a room in that category or better at a later date. The cost for a GTY booking is the same as if you pick a room. There are also *GT - last minute restricted fares (IGT - Interior; OGT - Oceanview; VGT - Verandah). These are offered after the PIF date usually at a lower rate than the going rate was the previous day. Sometimes they are close to the original rate the same room was on opening day, often a bit higher. You cannot select a specific room or category, and DCL will assign a room in the TYPE you booked at a later date.

Opening day prices are the starting point. For the most part prices will only rise from that point, except for those post-PIF offers on cruises that haven't sold as well as DCL would like.

Cruises increase in price as the ship fills based on some computer algorithm that we don't have any access to. Some cruises are the same price on the day before they cruise as they were on opening day (this would be a cruise that doesn't sell well). Some cruises literally increase in price every 30 minutes or less. I had one cruise that increased in price between the time I saw it on line and the time I got DCL on the phone to book it (I had a question and didn't want to just book on line!)

I have booked 2 cruises for this spring which have doubled in price since my opening day booking!

So no, there is no way to predict in terms of days when a cruise will increase in price.

It is rare for DCL to offer a price reduction before the penalty date--if they do, they will either adjust the price for you or you can cancel and rebook.

PIF = paid in full (the date you must have paid for the cruise by or it is canceled by DCL) *GT is a particular type of restricted booking. It represents a significant savings, typically about the same as first day rates.

I disagree about DCL offering only one type of discount on a given cruise. FL res rates and *GT rates are often available on the same cruises. Also, CM and TA specials (rates available only to Disney Cast Members or Travel Agents) are available on some of those same cruises.

Whoa good lord so complicated for cruise pricing lol...

Great info though thank you for your time and knowledge...

Seems like opening days are the way to go but 20% for a cruise that's some 20 months away is too risky for me...I can look up the same cruise I would want for 2016 but 2015 and I would need it to be 50% less to go ahead and book lol...

Cruises increase in price as the ship fills based on some computer algorithm that we don't have any access to. Some cruises are the same price on the day before they cruise as they were on opening day (this would be a cruise that doesn't sell well). Some cruises literally increase in price every 30 minutes or less. I had one cruise that increased in price between the time I saw it on line and the time I got DCL on the phone to book it (I had a question and didn't want to just book on line!)

I have booked 2 cruises for this spring which have doubled in price since my opening day booking!

So no' date=' there is no way to predict in terms of days when a cruise will increase in price.

It is rare for DCL to offer a price reduction before the penalty date--if they do, they will either adjust the price for you or you can cancel and rebook.

PIF = paid in full (the date you must have paid for the cruise by or it is canceled by DCL) *GT is a particular type of restricted booking. It represents a significant savings, typically about the same as first day rates.

I disagree about DCL offering only one type of discount on a given cruise. FL res rates and *GT rates are often available on the same cruises. Also, CM and TA specials (rates available only to Disney Cast Members or Travel Agents) are available on some of those same cruises.[/quote']

Curious, are they offered at the same time? I've only seen them offered one at a time. As in, if the military rate doesn't fill the ship, then *GT may be offered. But, yes they could be on the same cruise.

Maybe the cruises I've always checked on were close to filling up and they were only doing one at a time to fill it slowly. I don't know.

Whoa good lord so complicated for cruise pricing lol...

Great info though thank you for your time and knowledge...

Seems like opening days are the way to go but 20% for a cruise that's some 20 months away is too risky for me...I can look up the same cruise I would want for 2016 but 2015 and I would need it to be 50% less to go ahead and book lol...

Guess i don't understand--why is it "too risky" to put down a 20% discount that is fully refundable? You just have to remember to cancel it in a timely fashion if you can't go. I have a great TA who sends me an e-mail reminder about 3 weeks before it needs to be either paid or canceled. I don't feel there is any risk to a far out booking--I do them before knowing school schedule or whatever. If I can keep what I booked, great. If I "guessed" wrong, I cancel and get a refund or apply the money to a booking that I can do.

Booking thru a certain very large membership store, the ones with the gas stations....

They sell Disney Cruises and often provide a great store discount card in my case $475 about a week after returning from my cruise. Other Travel Agents (TA) provide other benefits like On Board Credits (OBC) or pre paid gratuities (which BTW are $12 per person per day kids included )

For Disney Cruises for our family I found that Big Box Store gave us the best deal... $475 buys a lot of gas for my car. A $50 OBC just doesn't cut it.

Booking directly with Disney will likely get you Zero benefits, you need a TA or a certain Big Box Store for that.

Last piece of advice, buy Travel Insurance and don't get it from Disney!

Edited by JVilleGal

The store card that some travel agents give (those in the store) are a percentage of the cruise cost. The OBC from travel agents are either a percentage of cruise cost or an amount based on types of cabin/length of cruise.

Above is right--there is NOTHING that you can get direct from DCL that you can't get from a good travel agent. And a good agent (whether in a store, an auto club, or a travel agency) may give you additional "thanks for booking" perks/refunds/onboard credit/gift cards.

Another vote--travel insurance should be purchased privately, not thru DCL.

More great stuff thanks...

I will check with TA and the big store but wonder if Canada makes a diff...

I can't answer that. There are occasional Canadian resident discounts offered. I know that the TA I use has a UK phone number as well as US and has booked cruises for Canadians. Don't know whether they have a Canadian phone number though.