Cruising Alone?

Beachcatzmum

Hello guys,

My cruise friend just cancelled & rather than try to find another cruisemate, I am considering going alone. Has anyone ever cruised solo? What was your experience?

So looking forward to any & all comments.

Blessings,

Nancy

(Sailing on Royal Caribbean's Empress of the Seas Sept 26, 2005 come hell or high water!:))

I always cruise alone and thoroughly enjoy it too. To be honest, the only time you are really alone is in the cabin as there are no end of people around you that you can strike up a friendship with very easily.

My cruise later this year includes very long flights with 3 planes each way, plus hotel stays pre/post cruise. Some of my friends think I am mad, others think I am brave for going such a long way by myself.

I just look at it as a way to meet new people, see new things and maybe get some longlasting friendships from people that you meet along the way.

Enjoy your cruise :):)

Hi Gold,

Thank you for the note. It's encouraging to know I might not be the only solo in history to sail alone. I am a happily single person & enjoy getaways by myself, but for some reason the idea of cruising solo seemed different.

Thanks again!

Nancy

No worries, there are quite a few of us around. I much prefer holidaying alone, no arguments about which place to go and see etc ;)

You will make loads of friends aboard ship, and at mealtimes you can usually choose whether you sit alone or mix with others.

Cruising alone is alot of fun and you find the crew are often more attentive if they realise you are by yourself too.

Have a great time :)

Ally

Nancy,

I too cruise alone primarily. As Ally stated the only real alone time is in your cabin. Over the years I have met many crew members & now cruise to see them.

The one down side to solo cruising is the price. Single Supplaments are steep.

One my most recent cruise I met 2 girls who both were cruising solo, only they did the share program. Princess did an excellent job hooking them up to share a cabin. I have not done the share program.

Meals you can always hook up with people. I have meet some great friends who I have shared tables with over the years.

Good Luck & Enjoy your cruise :)

Cathy

Hi:) If you check out my signature, all those cruises listed were traveling

solo. I love it. I do what I want, when I want. I meet people very easily

and a cruise ship is a piece of cake;)

One suggestion, request a large table for dinner. It always makes things

more fun:D.

Have a wonderful time:)

Nancy,

I've gone on two cruises solo and agree with all the comments that have been posted thus far. You have the freedom to do what you want when you want. I've also found it amazingly easy to meet people. On my last cruise, I had participated in the roll call for the cruise here on Cruise Critic and it was nice to sort of know some people before I even boarded the cruise ship. I echo Lois's comment on requesting a large table for dinner. I really enjoyed getting to know my table mates on both my cruises. Although the experiences were very different, both were great. I wish you a wonderful time on your cruise!

Jennifer

I just returned from my 41st cruise, 22 of them solo. I've literally cruised all over the world on my own, from Africa and Asia, to Europe and South America. It's a great, and safe, way for a single woman to travel. You meet lots of great people, like Lois, and you can do what you want, when you want. If you want to be alone, then you can, but if you want to be part of a group, there's always something going on. I have four more cruises scheduled from now until next June with one of them a 16 day solo cruise to South America. The ONLY downside of cruising single is that darned single supplement.

Last two were by myself. Booked another leaving next month by myself and my boyfriend popped up and wants to go. Damn. Going by yourself is the best. Nobody but you to decided what, when and were to go and do. You'll love it UNLESS you are unable to function by yourself in the first place.

Cruising solo is a great experience! It provides total freedom to do as you wish when you wish, without having to consider the desires of anyone else. I love my privacy and much prefer having a cabin all to myself - no matter how large - than having to share.

It is easy to meet people when you are feeling social and to be alone if that is your desire.

I agree with requesting a large table as I enjoy dinner conversation and the odds are better with a larger table.

I have travelled solo for all of my adult life and have enjoyed some truly wonderful experiences that I would have missed had I been travelling with a companion. Whether a land vacation or a cruise, I have never hesitated because I would be a single traveller. Life is too short to miss out on any opportunity to have an adventure.

I say go for it!

CG

Thanks to all the positive encouragement I've received here, I have made up my mind and I am going solo! I am SO excited & just imagining all the lazy mornings to spend in bed as long as I want & the choice of any excursion I desire! RCI was even able to change my dinner reservation to a late sitting at a larger (7-10 person) table.

Thanks everyone!

Nancy

Nancy, I'll go with you:D . Seriously, while I have not cruised alone, we have met a lot of solo cruisers. All of them seemed to be enjoying their cruises immensely. I think a cruise vacation is great for the single traveller, it is much easier meeting and hanging out with other vacationers on a ship than it is on some sprawling all-inclusive on land. All the choices are yours; what to do, when to do it, join in with others or not, when you want down time etc......geeeez, I might try it myself.:)

I Too Am A Solo Cruiser...........

A Cruise Is The Best Vacation For A Person Traveling Alone...

I Love To Cruise,just Wish I Could Go More Than Just Once

A Year...............my Next Cruise Is A Back To Back........

Going On Carnival's Celebration-12/17-12/22 And 12/22-12/26..

This Will Be My Christmas Gift To Myself..............

Since My Parents Have Passed Away Holidays Are Different

For Me,so I Choose To Be Gone On A Big Cruise Ship........

So I Am Here To Say Go And Have A Great Time.........

You Will Meet People.............

Happy Cruising To All...............

Barbara

Hi,

I'm taking my first cruise alone next month on the Oosterdam. I am a little nervous, but really excited at the prospect of not having to compromise on what to do, where to go, etc.. with a travel companion.

I plan to sleep as late as I want, lounge by the pool, socialize a little and hopefully find someone who wants to go to the Pinnacle for dinner.

I hope you have a great time on your trip. Be sure to let us know how it went!

mrsraggy

Thank you so much, everyone, for your positive feedback irt cruising alone. I am SO excited about this adventure. And, as luck would have it, within the past 3 days I have had two friends offer to go with me. I had to politely decline because I am so psyched about going solo now! Ha ha!! Thank you guys!!!

Have a wonderful cruise Nancy. I cruise alone often as well as other vacations...you always meet other people and its up to you to have that smile on your face so you look friendly and are approachable.People will always chat with you...its what you make it. sometimes it feels lonely when you see all the couples together, but y'know...thats life! I always have a lovely time and make new friends. Do what you want, when you want etc...great! have fun!

Y'know, often there is a "singles"get together the first night of the cruise....a good way to see who else is alone....

I know you will have a great time! can't wait to hear about it...