Camera movement on board

I'm thinking of taking my tripod on board this trip.

Obviously fine for shots on board (with the camera attached ;-) but what has been people's experience of taking shots, let's just say of the moon or shore and cityscapes in low light.

Does the movement of the ship muck up the shots?

I'm thinking of taking my tripod on board this trip.

Obviously fine for shots on board (with the camera attached ;-) but what has been people's experience of taking shots, let's just say of the moon or shore and cityscapes in low light.

Does the movement of the ship muck up the shots?

I got some really good ones of Boston last Sept as the Splendor was pulling into port at sunrise without a tripod

Ship movement = tripod movement.

I took some nighttime tripod shots of Acapulco from the ship and even in a dead calm bay, there was motion blurring (it was last time I took a full-size tripod on a cruise). Since then I have relied on stabilization, a steady hand and higher ISO to do the ship-to-shore chores. Onboard, I brace on railings, against walls and very occasionally use a compact Giottos mini-pod to take really long exposures.

Dave

If you need some sort of support and have a place to rest it on, a bean bag will help. Also, using your self timer will help to eliminate camera movement that comes from depressing the shutter button.

DON

Thanks Don.

I know the basics of photography - have been a very keen, and published!! motor sports photographer, I date back to 35 mm film :-)

A tip from those days to keep a hand held camera steady would be to use your camera strap in the same way as people using rifles for target shooting, wrapped firmly round your non trigger finger arm, if you know what I mean. I'm sure YouTube will have lots of 'how to's.

It's really just this really slow stuff that's new(ish) ;-)

The bean bag sounds like a good idea, I haven't had one of these since primary school lol

Granted, my ship-to-shore long-exposure shots on cruises have been pretty limited, but I had some success in Quebec. I used a tripod on the veranda for a series of night shots of the old town. Granted, we were stationary (moored) on a river, but it was windy and the water was choppy.

15475162007_6181c24a52_o.jpgQUE100 by AV8PIX Hickory Shampoo, on Flickr

15637389736_b2292493eb_o.jpgQUE102 by AV8PIX Hickory Shampoo, on Flickr

Anything longer than about 1/100 is a blurry mess from a moving vessel.

Thanks Don.

I know the basics of photography - have been a very keen, and published!! motor sports photographer, I date back to 35 mm film :-)

A tip from those days to keep a hand held camera steady would be to use your camera strap in the same way as people using rifles for target shooting, wrapped firmly round your non trigger finger arm, if you know what I mean. I'm sure YouTube will have lots of 'how to's.

It's really just this really slow stuff that's new(ish) ;-)

The bean bag sounds like a good idea, I haven't had one of these since primary school lol

Another way to improve steadiness if to use the eye level viewfinder (if your camera has one) instead of the LCD. If you can lean against something while holding the camera against your face, there will be much less camera movement than holding it with your outstretched arms.

DON

called hyperlapsing, take it.

I've loaded Lapse It (upgraded to the pro version for under £2.00) from the Android Play Store.

Testing projects look great.

Can't wait to get out there and get a few sunrises (I'm on the East side of the ship sailing from S America to Europe next week :-) and various other ideas! The thought of breakfast on the balcony makes me quiver with pleasure, but that's maybe another thread lol.

Great find, thanks for the tip.

There's also a good video on YouTube on how to take time lapse photography with a DSLR and software available free for your PC or laptop. It seems like quite a bit of work, much more than the app, but I'm sure the results will reflect the effort.

• 3 weeks later...
Another way to improve steadiness if to use the eye level viewfinder (if your camera has one) instead of the LCD. If you can lean against something while holding the camera against your face, there will be much less camera movement than holding it with your outstretched arms.

DON

Another factor to consider re tripod usage onboard - if the tripod platform (i.e., the deck) is vibrating, then the tripod will as well, as will the camera attached to the tripod. It will be very subtle, but the vibration will be there. This is more likely in my opinion to be a factor than the ship's larger movements. I have successfully shot a few pano sequences from a moving excursion boat @ about 15mph 100yds off a scenic headland. But that was well braced, handheld, high shutter speed and ISO. I wouldn't try it with monopod or tripod.

Stan