Mariner vs Dream

The ships are about the same size. We've been on the Mariner twice and loved it. Right now we're cruising Carnival simply because of cost. If you've cruised on both, can you compare? Thanks.

I've been on both. Mariner 4 times and Dream twice. Prefer Mariner, but Dream wasn't a bad ship. We were on Dream last time during Hurricane Sandy. :eek:

I prefer the layout of the Voyager class ships over the Dream class. Just about everything else is very similar.

Both times on Dream we were in a deck 2 Cove balcony and enjoyed being close to the water. (Except during the hurricane when they sealed the door shut. That trip was an adventure for sure!)

Edited by jules815

I've been on the Mariner three times, as well as all the other Voyager class ships except Adventure. I've also been on the Dream once.

I didn't really care for the Dream...I thought it was very crowded, and maybe it was just the week I went, but there were large numbers of obnoxious (very pushy and physical) people on our cruise, and that definitely played into me not liking the ship. I was also disappointed with our Ocean Suite (JS equivalent). It was very close to one of the hot tubs two decks below, and in addition to the light and the noise disturbing the peace on my balcony, I also witnessed some hot tub activities that should have taken place behind closed doors!:eek: In fact, when the tub was open in the evenings it was the go-to teenage make out location.:(

Not one of my better cruises, and it's actually what's kept me from trying the Magic out of Galveston. I may try the Breeze when it gets here...I think my problem on the Dream was the passengers more than the ship.

I've been on the Mariner once (again in two weeks) and 5 DCL cruises on the classic ships. I've avoided the bigger ships for the very same reasons Cindy stated. Friends who have sailed on the Dream and Fantasy talk about how crowded the pools are (one friend literally said she could "put a leg" into the pool and that's it), how rushed everything seemed, and just how it overall was less enjoyable than her trips on the classics. To put it in perspective, the pools are the same size and the bigger ships have twice as many people!

I never felt like the Mariner was too crowded. I am also not a fan of the Dream and Fantasy itineraries.

And Cindy, you should try the Magic! A totally different experience on the classics! Less bells and whistles, but more intimate, you get to know the crew, and the refurb is pretty good!

I've been on the Mariner once (again in two weeks) and 5 DCL cruises on the classic ships. I've avoided the bigger ships for the very same reasons Cindy stated. Friends who have sailed on the Dream and Fantasy talk about how crowded the pools are (one friend literally said she could "put a leg" into the pool and that's it), how rushed everything seemed, and just how it overall was less enjoyable than her trips on the classics. To put it in perspective, the pools are the same size and the bigger ships have twice as many people!

I never felt like the Mariner was too crowded. I am also not a fan of the Dream and Fantasy itineraries.

And Cindy, you should try the Magic! A totally different experience on the classics! Less bells and whistles, but more intimate, you get to know the crew, and the refurb is pretty good!

OOPS! I think we're talking about two completely different things...I was talking about Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic, but it sounds like you're talking about Disney.:confused:

OOPS! I think we're talking about two completely different things...I was talking about Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic, but it sounds like you're talking about Disney.:confused:

Oops! Hahaha. I was totally talking about Disney. Didn't realize Carnival had the exact same names for their ships!

I've been on Mariner once and recently was the Dream last month. I love the artwork in the stairs and hallways on the Mariner. Having sailed on Magic twice, I missed many things that the Magic and Sunshine had that the Dream did not. The Dream doesn't have Red Frog Pub, Guys Burgers, the Taco place, Alchemy Bar, Sports Bar.

I must say that the service on the Dream was by far the best we can remember in 20+ cruises.

Yes, what Cindy said is important. If you're looking at a balcony on Dream, those on deck 6 and 7 are very close to the deck 5, I think they call it the lanai, that circles the ship. The hot tubs are elevated, so they're very close to the deck 6 balconies. That's why we went with the cove balcony on deck 2. Nothing but water below.

RC ships just seem a little nicer overall.