Cape Liberty to NYC

donaldsc

We need to get from Cape Liberty to my daughter's place in Brookyn. Trying to figure out the best way to get there is getting complicated. She can pick us up in Manhattan or at one of the NYC airports. I know that we could take a car service but that would be very expensive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have done a search on Google and also on the Cruise Critic Eastern Ports board and nothing obvious comes up.

DON

Your public transit option is to take a cab to the Bayonne light rail station at 34th St and have them drop you off on Avenue E ( about $10), take the light rail to Exchange Place $2.10/pp), and take PATH one stop to the World Trade Center ($2.75/pp) where your daughter can pick you up. This route is completely accessible with luggage - even train platforms and escalators and elevators. You just have to be able to roll your luggage.

Your public transit option is to take a cab to the Bayonne light rail station at 34th St and have them drop you off on Avenue E ( about $10), take the light rail to Exchange Place $2.10/pp), and take PATH one stop to the World Trade Center ($2.75/pp) where your daughter can pick you up. This route is completely accessible with luggage - even train platforms and escalators and elevators. You just have to be able to roll your luggage.

I am looking for something where I am picked up at either the cruise ship terminal or Newark Airport I can take a cab to Newark Airport) and dropped off at my destination (Port Authority, La Guardia or JFK).

DON

I'm confused about why you can only be picked up at Port Authority, La Guardia, or JFK when your daughter lives in Brooklyn. Could you clarify that? Why can't she fetch you from some place in lower Manhattan if you're going to Brooklyn.?

The reality is that the base cab fare to Newark Airport is $45 plus tolls and tip, so figure about $55. The airport bus to Port Authority is $16/pp. So you're already at at least $87 to get to midtown Manhattan. You can cut this cost by taking a shared shuttle to the airport for $16/pp.

Here's Meg's picture of the taxi rates from the port to Manhattan. http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com Base fare to below 42nd st is $70, so figure almost $100 including tip and tolls to anywhere downtown, which is a much shorter and easier trip. Perhaps you could meet your daughter at a downtown hotel near the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel?

OP, approximately where in Brooklyn - downtown, southeast, southwest or central/north Brooklyn as it is a big "county" of 2 million New Yorkers? It will cost only "slightly more" with a flat-rate car service (my recommendation - Dial7 or Carmel (our choice, usually - from airports/ports to home near LGA) but you will trim about 2 hours in getting pickup earlier by your daughter at the airport (is she closer to LGA or JFK ??)

138East/Carol knows the more precise/current taxi from from Cape Liberty port to Newark Airport, I'm just using $45 as a rough $$ number, for 2 pax with 2 checked luggage & smaller carry-ons - for the trip. Shared ride is a little less in a van once it's loaded full, in about 30 minutes. From Newark Airport, the Airporter bus is $27 p/p one-way to either LGA or JFK with travel/wait time of 2.5 hours expected (could be less) - together, that's about $99 for 2 people in 3 to 3.5 hours, maybe more in heavy traffic, then the final wait & ride home to your daughter. (Fare is less to NY's bus terminal/midtown Manhattan)

A door-to-door ride using Carmel, going to Bensonhurst/Ba Ridge area in south/central Brooklyn is quoted at $82 before online code - coupon discount ($4 is typical) + one-way bridge/tunnel toll of $14 depending on routing (don't think it's included in base fare - NJ taxis will charged you for both directions, I believe) & 15% tipping - total about $105 all inclusive (and, a lot faster - maybe 2 hours)

Heading to NYC's Brooklyn neighborhood, going to EWR (airport) is the opposite direction not to mention it cost more in time & money. The taxi to light rail & PATH is more practical otherwise - just my 2 cents for thoughts & consideration.

Edited by mking8288
Carol is quick with her numbers - absolutely agreed & puzzled

OP, approximately where in Brooklyn - downtown, southeast, southwest or central/north Brooklyn as it is a big "county" of 2 million New Yorkers? It will cost only "slightly more" with a flat-rate car service (my recommendation - Dial7 or Carmel (our choice, usually - from airports/ports to home near LGA) but you will trim about 2 hours in getting pickup earlier by your daughter at the airport (is she closer to LGA or JFK ??)

My daughter lives in Caroll Gardens in Brooklyn. I picked the Port Authority or the 2 airports because it seemed to me that there should be more transportation options to these places than to general Manhattan or Brooklyn end points.

Basically we need to get from Cape Liberty either directly to my daughter's apartment or to a place where she can conveniently pick us up without having to deal with public transportation where we have to lug our suitcases.

DON

My daughter lives in Caroll Gardens in Brooklyn. I picked the Port Authority or the 2 airports because it seemed to me that there should be more transportation options to these places than to general Manhattan or Brooklyn end points.

Basically we need to get from Cape Liberty either directly to my daughter's apartment or to a place where she can conveniently pick us up without having to deal with public transportation where we have to lug our suitcases.

DON

Well if you can't roll your luggage on and off of accessible public transit, your only option is a car service as mentioned by Mking8288. Carroll Gardens is pretty close in to Manhattan - not nearly as far out as Bensonhurst or Bay Ridge. Around $100 seems pretty reasonable to get directly to Brooklyn.

... Caroll Gardens in Brooklyn ... need to get from Cape Liberty either directly to my daughter's apartment or to a place where she can conveniently pick us up without having to deal with public transportation where we have to lug our suitcases. DON

Got it - assuming it's a weekend arrival and traffic is lighter across the region and no rush hour commute, I would pre-book a private car service, door-to-door from the pier, re-confirm on arrival @ Cape Liberty. Both Carmel & Dial7 have fleet base/garage or staging area near EWR/Cape Liberty & can pck you up in 15 minutes, once you are finished with immigration & custom, wait at the heated & covered terminal area for getting picked up.

Flat rate quoted now for a Saturday one-way trip is $77 with a full-size 4 door sedan, add $14 or $15 for toll to NY (east-bound direction or one-way only) and 15% tippping - about $100 with a $3 or $4 discount coupon or digital discount code. It's about 13 miles or 40 minutes, door-to-door via the Holland Tunnel or 20 miles & 50 minutes via Staten Island/VZ Bridge thru Brooklyn. Simple, direct & easy to do. Forget the taxi to Newark Airport & then airporter bus or to Port Authority bus terminal, and then wait for daughter's pickup - cost about the same or possibly more, take 3 to 4 hours (possibly less ...) Going the longer route via Staten Island would be my choice, slower but equal or faster in time with Holland Tunnel backup - less chance of traffic tieups.

Trip from Caroll Gardens to JFK or LGA is at least 1 hour round-trip with light to no traffic. Carmel & Dial7 have plenty of vehicles & let the Pro do the driving & worry about the best & quicker route.

Edited by mking8288