Decisions, Decisions...

Poop_Deck

So, with last months promotions we (myself, hubby and son) booked a 7 day Western Caribbean on the Getaway for June 2016. This sailing has 3rd passenger 50% off. It is a good price for that time year + UDP, so we jumped on it.

Well, I was trolling around trolling around the NCL site yesterday, and I found an 8 day Eastern Caribbean on Escape in August 2016 for only $130 (total, not per person) more that what we paid for the WC on Getaway. We would still get UDP, plus 3rd passender would be free on this sailing.

To me, this seems like a great deal- $130 more for an extra day on vacation? Yes please! Our only concerns are these... We are doing the exact same itinerary of the Escape in October of this year on the Getaway. I say that the Escape should be the destination, but hubby is worried that it might be redundant to vacation to the exact same islands a year apart. Thoughts on this?

Also, we are concerned about sailing the EC in August during huricaine season. All of our previous cruises have been Jan/March/last week of Sept/Oct so we have no idea what the seas can be like in August. Any August sailors out there care to shed some light? I know that weather can not be guaranteed, just looking for some general feedback.

Thanks in advance for your insight:D

So, with last months promotions we (myself, hubby and son) booked a 7 day Western Caribbean on the Getaway for June 2016. This sailing has 3rd passenger 50% off. It is a good price for that time year + UDP, so we jumped on it.

Well, I was trolling around trolling around the NCL site yesterday, and I found an 8 day Eastern Caribbean on Escape in August 2016 for only $130 (total, not per person) more that what we paid for the WC on Getaway. We would still get UDP, plus 3rd passender would be free on this sailing.

To me, this seems like a great deal- $130 more for an extra day on vacation? Yes please! Our only concerns are these... We are doing the exact same itinerary of the Escape in October of this year on the Getaway. I say that the Escape should be the destination, but hubby is worried that it might be redundant to vacation to the exact same islands a year apart. Thoughts on this?

Also, we are concerned about sailing the EC in August during huricaine season. All of our previous cruises have been Jan/March/last week of Sept/Oct so we have no idea what the seas can be like in August. Any August sailors out there care to shed some light? I know that weather can not be guaranteed, just looking for some general feedback.

Im with you on this one.. Just because you go to the same island doesn't mean you have to do the same "outings"... Different ship = different cruise..

Hurricane ? Roll the dice , the odds are in your favor ;)

I say that the Escape should be the destination, but hubby is worried that it might be redundant to vacation to the exact same islands a year apart. Thoughts on this?

Also, we are concerned about sailing the EC in August during hurricane season. All of our previous cruises have been Jan/March/last week of Sept/Oct so we have no idea what the seas can be like in August. Any August sailors out there care to shed some light? I know that weather can not be guaranteed, just looking for some general feedback.

For me sailing the same ship twice in a row would be more a "concern" then the islands. The Escape has several really good new features, different entertainment, and should be a fantastic ship. On the islands you can do a different activity and still have a great time. If I was to break down a cruise into two parts Boat experience and Island experience giving each a weight of 50% then my math works out as follows:

2 Getaway cruises in a row (different islands):

- Duplication of ship is 50% of the vacation the same

- New islands = 50% new experience.

1 Getaway and 1 Escape:

- New ship = 50% new experience

- Same Islands new excursion: 25% new experience.

I give a 25% edge to doing different ships.

As for August. It will be fine. Hurricane season is a long period of the year. You can always have bad weather. If the time of year works for you then go for it. There is only a slim chance of a Hurricane and I wouldnt let that sway the decision. No week is safe from weather so dont stress it.

I agree that the little extra money is totally worth it for an extra day :-)

Enjoy whatever you do.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

If we never returned to the same islands, we would have stopped cruising years ago. I do know what you mean, but there are so many excursions on most islands, returning isn't all bad. I think I would take the longer cruise for just a few $$S more.

AS for the weather, there are no guarantees; remember there is a 95% or better chance you will have not problems but that 5% can be scary I guess. We have cruised in Aug a few times; once we just missed Andrew, the other time or two no problems.

Edited by newmexicoNita

OP, we will also be in one of the Escape 8-night in August 2016.

We cruised the Caribbean in August once. It was very hot and humid, but as a Canadian, hot and humid for a week is just fine.

I am also a fan of hot & humid- no complaints from me on that[emoji4]