Martinique Independant Tour Operator....Please Advise!

Oink

:) Can anyone recommend an independant tour operator, preferably one with English speaking guides, in Martinique? It will be our first time there so we will appreciate your input. Thanks! Later....Oink! :)

Hi, Oink! I saw your name as I was scanning the Ports of Call board. We've been to Martinique 3 times and twice just hired a driver. They both spoke accented English, and knew the island very well. Our second time, we knew what we wanted to see and where we wanted to go and that's where he took us. Just a thought...

Becki

• 3 weeks later...

We found another couple at the terminal who wanted to share a taxi and so we negotiated with a driver for a tour. It was going to initially be 4 hours, but, b/c of the spots we wanted to see, it was a bit over 5 hrs. This was a few yrs ago, but I believe it was about $125 total, with tip. And, the driver was willing to wait for us to shop in town after our tour, and then ferry us back to the ship. It's not a far walk back, but not very scenic either. :)

One of the things I really wanted to see was the area devastated by Mt Pelee volcano. Kind of sounded like Pompeii. This is the town of St Pierre, and it was an interesting stop. The drivers have a basic tour they'll give, unless you tell them specific things you want to see. Not that the basic tour isn't interesting; just that they won't necessarily take you off the beaten path unless you tell them what sights you want included. The typical route if along Route de la Trace, which is a very scenic drive, with good views of the coastline along the way; with stops at churches, fishing villages and beaches for photos. There are many beautiful beaches on Martinique, including a black sand beach, Anse Cero. Les Salines Beach is one of the most popular and pretty. There are some beautiful cathedrals on the island also, and Balata Cathedral is a good photo stop, as I believe it overlooks Fort de France (the main city).

Oink, I know you like hiking opportunities and there are a couple of nature reserves (which we didn't get to, darn it!), but I made notes of them; Caravelle Peninsula and Ajoupa Bouillon are two. Also Gorge de la Falaise is a canyon of sorts, supposed to have beautiful scenery.

Also, the town square in Fort de France usually has crafts booths and some of the shops in town have some beautiful goods at decent prices, so take some time to wander about there as well.

Hope this helps.

Becki

• 3 months later...

Diving & Snorkeling

Martinique's underwater world is decorated with multicolor coral, crustaceans, turtles, and sea horses. Expect to pay EUR40 to EUR 45 for a single dive, a package of three dives is around EUR110. Okeanos Club (Pierre & Vacances, Ste-Luce, Martinique. PHONE: 0596/62-52-36, www.okeanos-club.com) has a morning trip close to shore; in the afternoon, the boats go out into open water. Lessons (including those for kids 8 to 12) with a PADI-certified instructor, can be held in English. It's always a fun experience. The dive shop looks out to Diamant Rock, which has wonderful underwater caves and is one of the preferred dives on the island. Planete Bleue (Pointe du Bout Marina, Les Trois-Ilets, Martinique. PHONE: 0596/66-08-79, www.planete-bleue.mq) has a big, new dive boat, hand-painted with tropical fish and waves, so it's impossible to miss. The English-speaking, international crew are proud they've been in business since the early 1990s. The company hits 20 sites, including the Citadel and Salomon's Pool. A boat goes out mornings and afternoons. Thursday is a full day on the north coast, with breakfast, lunch, and all drinks included. Half-day dives include gear and a 'ti punch, but no rum for the children, who are otherwise welcome. Sunday is a day of rest, except for the first one in the month, when it's off to Diamant Rock. Plongee Passion (Anse d'Arlet, Martinique. PHONE: 0596/68-71-78, pro.wanadoo.fr/plongeepassion, Le Plage, St-Pierre, PHONE: 0596/78-26-57) is a PADI-certified operation. The Anse d'Arlet branch is adjacent to 'Ti Plage beach restaurant, and this is where you come if you want to dive Diamant Rock and other southern sites. If you want to dive the northern sites, drive to St-Pierre. The company has a good reputation on the island.

from foddors.com

We visited Martinique in Oct '05 via Sun Princess. We had an excellent private tour with a very distinguished gentleman in a S class Mercedes with another couple (4 total) for $40 each for 3+ hours. We toured the north side of the island and visited a church, a botanical garden, the town that was destroyed when Mt. Pele blew its stack, a rum distillery, and lots of beautiful senic spots. We were very impressed with the tour as we had heard that Martinique was not very fond of tourists. The gentleman's e-mail is:

kleber-gontran.magdeleine@wanadoo.fr and his web site is:

www.monsite.wanadoo.fr/etclub

I highly recommend him and hope that you have a great visit to Martinique and a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also booked Kleber for Martinique and felt the deal was fair compared to whatever the cruise line was offering. After reading about the ferry problems from one of the posts, I would rather pay the money and know I was comfortable and get to enjoy the sights of the island.

Does anyone have any advice on tipping for privately booked excursions?

Have a wonderful trip

• 8 months later...

Can anyone suggest a guide that accepts solo travelers? I tried the person mentioned abov, but his website is no longer online.

If I was with someone else or a group, I would hire a taxi at port. But since I'm going alone, I rather have a tour booked.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

oink:

i hired a driver at the pier and gave him an itinerary i wanted to do. it included a drive through the rain forest and continued on to the town of ajoupa de boullion, a beautiful village with flower-lined streets. in this little town is the gorge de falais. it is a full day excursion because of the distances to drive. the gorge is rather untouristed and consists of an entry fee and someone pointed to you the direction to walk. it is a fair hike over some rough terrain, but a very memorable experience for the beauty and serenity of the place. we proceeded from there back down the coast to see mt. pele and sopped at a small creole restaurant on the water. perhaps the best day my family has spent in the caribbean. be sure the driver speaks enough english for you to communicate and that he knows the area and is willing to go there. several earlier attempts were thwarted with driver's balking at going to areas outside of the normal tourist loop. negotiate a price before you depart. taxis are not cheap in martinique.

steve

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived