Car Rental FCO

yvonneh

Hi,

Has anyone rented a car at FCO, drove to the city center for the night and then to Civitavecchia for the cruise the next day? I plan on renting from Hertz, I know where the drop off is by the port.

I am not opposed to public transportation (will use for inner city), or private cars, but it just seems it would be an easier option trying to get to the hotel from the airport and then to Termini (ugh) the morning of the cruise and taking the train. Any thoughts?

We have driven in Italy before, and we are aware what this adventure entails.

Thank you for any tips, thoughts or opinions!

We have rented at FCO and also dropped cars there. However, although we have driven all over Italy (more then 10,000 miles) we avoid driving into Rome. Keep in mind that Rome is full of ZTL (limited driving zones) areas and anytime you happen to penetrate a ZTL with a rental car you will be in for a nasty fine (added to your credit card months after you return home). So if you do want to drive into Rome you need to do your homework on the best route to your destination and will possibly you need your hotel to register your rental car's License Plate with the local Police.

If you are not familiar with the Italian ZTL scheme we suggest using the internet to educate yourself before driving in Italy.

Hank

We have rented at FCO and also dropped cars there. However, although we have driven all over Italy (more then 10,000 miles) we avoid driving into Rome. Keep in mind that Rome is full of ZTL (limited driving zones) areas and anytime you happen to penetrate a ZTL with a rental car you will be in for a nasty fine (added to your credit card months after you return home). So if you do want to drive into Rome you need to do your homework on the best route to your destination and will possibly you need your hotel to register your rental car's License Plate with the local Police.

If you are not familiar with the Italian ZTL scheme we suggest using the internet to educate yourself before driving in Italy.

Hank

Thank you, Hank! I almost typed your name for help in my post! :D

Yes, I know about those ZTL zones. I am planning on driving straight to the hotel and then to the port only.

Thank you for the suggestion about letting my hotel know.

I will do some research on how hard it is avoiding these zones in and out of the city center.

I am not opposed to public transportation (will use for inner city), or private cars, but it just seems it would be an easier option trying to get to the hotel from the airport and then to Termini (ugh) the morning of the cruise and taking the train. Any thoughts?

My thought is that Termini isn't the only train station in Rome. When we cruised out of Civi, we purposely stayed the night before in the Holiday Inn Express San Giovanni because it was a 10-minute walk to Tuscolana station, the first one after Termini. Bought our tickets the night before, then just walked to the station and hopped the train, without having to deal with Termini (which I agree with you about - ugh!)

We rented a car in Civi then drove down to a little beach about 1 hour south of Rome for the day. We had a heck of a time finding a gas station then getting back on the express way to the airport. It took us about 1 hour driving around the airport before we finally found the entrance!

On another trip we took a shuttle for 6 Euro to the Marriott Rome Park. It was about 20 mins outside the city but offered another shuttle for 6 Euro to the city (dropped u near the Vatican). Then the next day, we took a cab to a train station with a straight shot to Civi (no transfers) on the west side of Rome.

Edited by kdooley