Question on booking two cabins for 5 people

mariakitty

Our family of four (2 adults, 2 kids) is currently booked in a mini on the Ruby in August. We love the mini and it works well for our family. Now my mother in law would like to join us (yes this is a good thing!) and we have offered to cover her fare for an inside cabin. This brings up a few questions we haven't had to deal with before:

1. Since our party is 3 adults, 2 children, can we book one of our boys with grandma? This would help us even out the cost of the fare by avoiding a single supplement. Just wondering if there is an issue putting a minor child in a cabin with a non-parent. BTW my husband and I are the parents of both children.

2. If we can book one of the boys in grandma's cabin, can he actually sleep with us in our mini? Can we send both boys to grandma's for a night or two if we wish?

I don't know how picky princess will be on how we divide cabin assignments once onboard and we don't want to do anything against the rules. This is only our 2nd cruise with the kids so we are still learning. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Our family of four (2 adults, 2 kids) is currently booked in a mini on the Ruby in August. We love the mini and it works well for our family. Now my mother in law would like to join us (yes this is a good thing!) and we have offered to cover her fare for an inside cabin. This brings up a few questions we haven't had to deal with before:

1. Since our party is 3 adults, 2 children, can we book one of our boys with grandma? This would help us even out the cost of the fare by avoiding a single supplement. Just wondering if there is an issue putting a minor child in a cabin with a non-parent. BTW my husband and I are the parents of both children.

2. If we can book one of the boys in grandma's cabin, can he actually sleep with us in our mini? Can we send both boys to grandma's for a night or two if we wish?

I don't know how picky princess will be on how we divide cabin assignments once onboard and we don't want to do anything against the rules. This is only our 2nd cruise with the kids so we are still learning. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Yes you can book that way. The only issue you might have is if you try and put more people in a cabin then there are berths. If they are little then it might not be an issue. :) Other then that you can swap people around one you are settled in. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yes to save money it does make sense to move a child in with Grandma. The child can sleep in either place ultimately. Try to get the inside across the hall from your cabin and you should then end up in the same lifeboat station as well, which helps as well.

If y'all have different muster stations the one child will need to go with grandma to that muster station during the drill and if there is an emergency but that's unlikely so should be a non issue.

When my sister cruises with her 3 children and our mom, she books two cabins side by side. She is the adult in one room with one child, and our mom is the adult in the other room with two children. Sometimes the kids swap cabins, but in their case it's the same cabin steward, so there were no worries about the tips. The steward didn't care if the kids swapped cabins.

Edited by partybarbie

We always book 2 side by side cabins for our family of 4. Because the children are minors (15 and 13) we book one parent and one child in each cabin. In reality my boys sleep in one cabin and my husband and I in the other. It has never been a problem for us and we always get an extra room key for the boys cabin so that we can access their cabin whenever we wish. We are doing just that in a couple of days on the Regal.

Emphasize with your TA (or with Princess if booking through them) that there is to be no upgrading of either cabin, that you need to stay in your selected cabins. Then check on the deck plan and see which ones have multiple (more than two) accommodations. That may be hard for the second cabin if the idea to have a berth for the third.

If y'all have different muster stations the one child will need to go with grandma to that muster station during the drill and if there is an emergency but that's unlikely so should be a non issue.

This did come up with us & my brother. He was a few doors down the hall in a different Muster Section; but when we took him to the drill we just explained & all went together.