Advice from Alaska veterans

I've been to Alaska 3 times with an inside and one time with a balcony. Having the balcony was amazing!! But we did just fine on the cruises without it.

Alaska is one cruise where I see a balcony is worth it!! There is so much pretty scenery. One thing I really loved was being out on my balcony early in the am as we approached each port.

On the glacier day, you would love being out on your deck. The trip into the glacier is a few hours, so it's worth it to have a balcony to enjoy the entire trip and day.

But, that said, we did have a fine time when we had insides. On glacier viewing day, We found a spot early on for viewing before the crowds gathered.

Also, you could book an inside and watch the balcony prices to hope for a price drop. The particular year that we did get the balcony, we originally had an inside. For some reason, balcony cabins really dipped in price.

So I paid $300 total to upgrade from an inside to a balcony. But last year, prices on a balcony cabin did not drop much at all, so we had to stick with an inside.

Heck, it's such a gamble trying to figure out the pricing thing!!!! ha!

You are going to love your cruise whatever you decide. Alaska is gorgeous!!! I will keep going back and never get bored with that cruise!

Booked an inside cabin on the Jewel the first time we went to Alaska and didn't have any issues finding places to enjoy the scenery during the days and sun bathed nights. There's also an odd sense of camaraderie that develops when you're huddled along the bow with other passengers as you cruise up to Sawyer so you don't lose your spot.

That being said, and I'll say it again with everyone else, having a balcony during our second cruise way more convenient!

The first time we went, we were told that we HAD to have a balcony. So we did. That was the biggest mistake we made. It was so cold that we had to sit inside on the bed and look out. We spent a lot of time in the cabin doing so. The second time we had an inside. That was the best!:p We spent cruising time in public areas, meeting and talking to other people while enjoying the scenery. While sitting inside the cabin looking out, you have a very limited view--just straight in front of you. When you are by the pool or other enclosed areas, you get a panoramic view. Also, at glaciers, the ship usually turns around. If you are on your own balcony, you only get to see your side. When in a public area, you can move and also see the other side when the ship turns. If there is a naturalist on board, they are soooo informative, and you won't get that in your cabin....just my opinion.

It's interesting how many people say it's cold. I wonder if some of it has to do with where you live. Because the fact that I live in Seattle at cooler temperatures probably means Alaska doesn't feel as cold to me as someone who is coming from a southern state and is used to much higher temperatures. I've gone to Alaska three times and even when it was raining and chilly still felt it was worth it to be outside to see the scenery. But I do see where if you are used to summer temperatures around 90 degrees even a sunny 60 degree day might feel cold.

We have cruised Alaska twice, both times with a balcony. With all the scenery/sea life there is to see, a balcony is the way to go. The weather is always changing, so be prepared.

We sailed in June one year and August the second time. It will be cold, especially when you look at the glaciers (think ice box). We cruised up the Tracy arm, which was beautiful, but would still like to experience Glacier Bay. :D

Edited by Oldgoat61

We've cruised to Alaska twice... a balcony was essential for our enjoyment, especially during rainy weather as others have stated.

Also, it was very noisy on some spots of the crowded upper decks in Glacier Bay... but when we went back to our much quieter cabin balcony, we could really hear the ice from the calving glaciers creaking and groaning and cracking.

That said, you will surely have a great time no matter what you select... there are lots of places on the ship to watch the world go by.

Edited by lgdesign

IMHO, a balcony cabin hands down if you can do it. :) You will not regret it.

You get to see everything from the comfort of your cabin; lots of scenery to see no matter what time of day it is. It is way more comfortable than having to go up and out on deck and combat the crowds which can be difficult at times (you know what I mean). ;)

If it is raining of extremely cold or windy, a balcony allows good sight seeing in comfort. Then, you can enjoy room service dining etc., in comfort while enjoying it all! We saw a ton of wild life just from our balcony.

I love sightseeing from a balcony cabin; it is one of my favorite things on cruise and Alaska does not disappoint.

If you need to go up on another deck to get a more panoramic view, that is always an option but the comfort of your cabin with a balcony makes an Alaskan cruise very enjoyable.

Happy and safe cruising; I hope you enjoy our beautiful state of Alaska as much as we did! :D

The first time we went, we were told that we HAD to have a balcony. So we did. That was the biggest mistake we made. It was so cold that we had to sit inside on the bed and look out. We spent a lot of time in the cabin doing so. The second time we had an inside. That was the best!:p We spent cruising time in public areas, meeting and talking to other people while enjoying the scenery. While sitting inside the cabin looking out, you have a very limited view--just straight in front of you. When you are by the pool or other enclosed areas, you get a panoramic view. Also, at glaciers, the ship usually turns around. If you are on your own balcony, you only get to see your side. When in a public area, you can move and also see the other side when the ship turns. If there is a naturalist on board, they are soooo informative, and you won't get that in your cabin....just my opinion.

Great post, the savings is almost $1000 for the cabin, that $1000 can be used for some super excursions of once in a lifetime high adventure.

Great post, the savings is almost $1000 for the cabin, that $1000 can be used for some super excursions of once in a lifetime high adventure.

Both times I cruised an Alaskan cruise, the naturalist's narrative on all that was seen, was heard all over the ship in the public areas and in in all cabins. It was on the speaker system and through the TV so we missed nothing of their great narrative of the cruising. So you would miss nothing. The Alaska scenery from the ship was awesome; the cruise land excursions to do not compare.

They do rotate the ship when cruising to view the glaciers so every side of the ship see's all; it is very accommodating to all passengers whether you want to be on the top decks or in your cabin to view all of the beauty that is Alaska.

You can always go up on the public decks if you think you are missing something. I have to say it was much colder on the public decks and I was there in July and August.

Either way I hope you enjoy; take the cruise that works best for you. :)