Getaway Running Track

It's on the upper deck, and it's very tiny. There are 8 laps to a mile. It's in a busy area outside Flamingo Grill. My husband runs, and he'd go out at 5:00am so that he could get some miles in before it started to get busy with walkers and such, because there really isn't room to pass.

Yeah its not that big and part of the track goes through pool chairs (I kid you not). But remember key real estate for the Waterfront probably took where a good jogging track would go. It gets the job done but probably the quirkiest track I have seen on a ship.

When we were on the Getaway this past November, I ran on the running track five times, four times in the morning and once in the afternoon (the afternoon was while we were docked in St. Thomas). Compared with other ships, I did not find encroaching lounge chairs to be problematic at all, but instead the width on three of four sides was relatively sizable and accommodating. The one slow-down area was when passing by the rock climbing wall and Flamingo, where there is also a walkway from/to the aft elevators/stairs. I only ran when the rock climbing wall was closed (in the morning, I was done by 9:00 am), which I recall being the officially posted hours of the running track anyway. Generally, I found the running track usable and much more comfortable than the two times I ran on the treadmill, because both times I used the treadmill area of the fitness center it was quite warm with minimal air circulation.

I am sailing on the Breakaway in two weeks so I was also curious. I sailed on Celebrity Reflection in January and their track was even smaller. HALF the top deck. 12 laps was a mile and also through the loungers. My half marathon is next Sunday. So at least my runs on the Breakaway won't have to be too long! I hate treadmills!

I am sailing on the Breakaway in two weeks so I was also curious. I sailed on Celebrity Reflection in January and their track was even smaller. HALF the top deck. 12 laps was a mile and also through the loungers. My half marathon is next Sunday. So at least my runs on the Breakaway won't have to be too long! I hate treadmills!

This one is less than half the deck.

If it's anything like Breakaway, it has a lot of twists and turns, so hard on the hips/knees/feet. What makes it worse is that you can't switch directions to try and balance things out because there are too many people. On Breakaway I ended up running the dreadmill and did a swim at GSC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent feedback everyone and thanks so much...I've got a fairly large group of runners on there next February so just looking for the details on our two days at sea...Not real worried about the first day as it's a recovery day from the Ft. Lauderdale A1A Marathon on the Sunday! Awesome!

How about the gym? Feedback on that?

The gym is good but small, there is plenty of equipment to choose from. It is broken in two halves with a hall between the rooms. The dreadmills, elliptical, and rowers are faced out the window. It was actually fun rowing with the ship rocking back and forth, lol. There is a lot of equipment in the other room across the hallway. We found it very small though, no room to swing kettle bells etc. it was busy the day we went, but I'm sure you can catch it at a slow time.

I wonder if it's possible to run on the Waterfront early in the morning.

you probably could, but it would be awkward with all the wind break window dividers and outdoor seating areas you would have to maneuver through. you wouldn't really get up to a good, steady speed on the waterfront before you would have to slow right down to get through the glass wind breaks. Better off to get up nice and early and use the running track provided or a treadmill, in my opinion.

does the Getaway have steam rooms and saunas in the changerooms or do you have to pay to use the spa? Thanks

You have to pay to access the thermal spa suite which has all of that. You can purchase a week pass to the spa or sometimes they offer day passes.