*Attn the Poster who mentioned using Military Bases......

sail7seas

I had a thought watching tv today and your post listing all the goods going to the Gulf reminded me of it, Heather.

Most of the worst-off of the victims are now evacuated all over the country and not even in the area where everything is being taken. I heard someone on tv from one of the organizations saying they had taken a lot of food, I think it was, and there were so few victims to receive it. You think this could end up being a problem and organizations will have to be given other areas for delivery?

Saw on CNN this afternoon that Greece had offered 2 cruise ships to use for accomodations, also the Gov. of Mass. said 2500 people were coming in to Otis AFB on the Cape. He said they would be checked in and then housed in the Eastern Mass. area......jean :cool:

I had a thought watching tv today and your post listing all the goods going to the Gulf reminded me of it, Heather.

Most of the worst-off of the victims are now evacuated all over the country and not even in the area where everything is being taken. I heard someone on tv from one of the organizations saying they had taken a lot of food, I think it was, and there were so few victims to receive it. You think this could end up being a problem and organizations will have to be given other areas for delivery?

I understand completely what you're saying, bookworm, but these are things that have been requested up there specifically. They also want us to contribute any extra pieces of luggage, book bags, back packs and such we might have so they can pack the things and take them along. I don't think people are leaving so quickly that this won't be of help.

I didn't mean to suggest that people are just packing up trucks and taking off without answering a specific need, but I can see where you could have read it that way.

Then, as they get to other destinations, they'll ask for more supplies of course since this will be an ongoing effort.

also the Gov. of Mass. said 2500 people were coming in to Otis AFB on the Cape. He said they would be checked in and then housed in the Eastern Mass. area......jean :cool:

That is the reason I started this thread, Jean. I was so happy to hear our Governor wasted no time in announcing that Massachusetts, like all other states, wants to help. Actually, when we heard the Governor speak during last night's news, it seems the facilities prepared for the evacuees will be quite good. There are many features that will help make them reasonably comfortable.

While the rooms are nothing fancy they contain a warm bed and the dining hall can hold 800 per sitting. Additionally, there is a bowling alley (candlepin ???) and a movie theatre. Hopefully the families can find some semblence of normality when they arrive and can start the long road back.

Also, heard this morning that Curt & Shonda Shilling are going to put up a family of 9 here in Massachusetts at their expense. What an incredible, altruisic couple they are. :)

How wonderful of the Shillings. They do seem to be very wonderful people.

[Hope his kindness and generosity is rewarded with his pitching getting back to where it was last season. :) My DH saw him pitch yesterday at Fenway.]

After all the press mess about "refugees or evacuees" the local San Antonio press and TV have started using "San Antonio's Extended Family". :) Works for us. Glad they're here safe and sound and we can help them. A number have already said they have no interest in returning to New Orleans. Nothing to go back to so they might as well see what the area has to offer.

After all the press mess about "refugees or evacuees" the local San Antonio press and TV have started using "San Antonio's Extended Family". :) Works for us. Glad they're here safe and sound and we can help them. A number have already said they have no interest in returning to New Orleans. Nothing to go back to so they might as well see what the area has to offer.

Massachusetts is calling them guests. Sounds so much friendler than refugees or evacuees.

Regarding Curt and his pitching. I think he's holding back for his first outing with the Yankees :p

Massachusetts was given notice yesterday that the 'guests' from Louisiana was scheduled to arrive yesterday. Much preparation and many volunteers awaited their arrival. Food had been prepared; back breaking work had been done readying the accomodations in which they were staying and everyone waited for them.

They didn't arrive.

Now they are hearing these people may not be coming but the volunteers and all the preparations should be 'on standby' in case they decide they want to make use of them afterall.

It'll be interesting to see if they arrive in Columbus.....seeing as they did not arrive (and will not be arriving anytime soon) in Massachusetts despite notifications and preparations..... medical, clothes, food, housing etc etc

Mass. may be cold this winter but nothing like the "up to" 3,000 coming to Minnesota will need to deal with. Camp Ripley, an in-service National Guard training base between Little Falls, MN and Brainerd, MN will be processing a group in barracks (Single Mens, Single Womens, Families) for a couple months as a transition point to what is assumed will be permanent housing around the state. An old convent in Bird Island, MN has 40 rooms ready to go and HUD appartments are being preped around Mineapolis/St. Paul. The local media is promoting various colleciton points around the Twin Cities for "new" winter clothing - especially kids size heavy coats, gloves and hats. While most of us "natives" can deal with down to zero with a regular jacket these new citizens are in for a huge shock and will need heavy parkas and warm hats for sure.

I commented to my wife last night upon learning of this diaspora from the south that some of these people who were "stuck" in poverty and little hope for improvement may well, let's say maybe 5-10 years from now, look back and feel Katrina was the best thing that ever happened to them. I would like to help any way I can make it so. It won't be the rush aid and giving right now but the welcoming hearts and help over the next few years which will make the biggest difference.

The evacuees that Charleston, SC emergency personnel were notified were on their way (the plane was to land in 30 minutes when they got the call) ended up in Charleston, WV, which knew nothing of their arrival beforehand. :o

I heard that same report.

Sequim88, I grew up in Mich. and walked to school in 20-below winters, but I also lived in Minneapolis twice for a total of 6 years. Survived what was called a 50-year winter in Minneapolis with 1 and 1/2 feet of snow every other day and 35-below with 100 wind chill on weekends. Seems to me that sending NO people to Brainerd is like sending them for Arctic training! We miss Minnesota and are glad the state is able to help out.

Here in Miami several local TV and radio stations have organized relief caravans like we did for last year's Florida hurricanes. One station has raised over $700,000 and has "adopted" two shelters in the Florida panhandle. In addition money will be set aside for $5000 family grants so people can put deposits on apartments, utilities and cover other needs. In the meantime, FEMA is still giving out contraditory info about what they know and what they are/aren't doing. If we could only dissolve FEMA, send Bush's political appointee back to his horse farm, and give FEMA's budget to the Red Cross and local development agencies!

In the meantime, FEMA is still giving out contraditory info about what they know and what they are/aren't doing. If we could only dissolve FEMA, send Bush's political appointee back to his horse farm, and give FEMA's budget to the Red Cross and local development agencies!

Actually FEMA did a great job when it was an independent cabinet-level agency. It was only when it was put under DHS, had its budget cut drastically, and the Director became a position awarded on cronyism that it has gone so downhill. It needs to be given the authority and standing it had before. Can you imagine the chaos if there was a terrorist attack in several cities the way things are being run now?

Well I`ve just returned from one of the relief drop points to see if I could be of help, thankfully Columbus folks are out in droves and they didn`t need me today. I asked what was needed and they said toiletries so I went to the store and bought $100 worth of soap, lotion, deoderant, toothbrushes and paste etc. Hopefully it will help someone. Still expecting to see them arrive tomorrow, I think they will be on military transport.......jean :cool:

Still expecting to see them arrive tomorrow, I think they will be on military transport.......jean :cool:

You will find working in anyway you can, jean, very worthwhile, both to you and them. We had a dinner at church last night for several of the families here that we will be working with and it was a wonderful evening. After a delicious turkey dinner their children were able to get away from the adults and have some fun kid and teen time, while we were able to hear a little of what they had been through, how we can help the most, etc.

I was surprised that many of these folks, if not most, are not uneducated, previously unemployed, drifters, or anything of the kind. They simply have lost everything material that they had. One older woman in particular was extremely well-spoken and a lovely woman. Unfortunately she had stayed behind with her elderly husband. She buried him this past Saturday and was evacuated to Atlanta Sunday. There is just so much to do for these people and they are so appreciative. If you have the opportunity to work with them rather than just send a check I think you will find it rewarding. :)

Apparently a fraction of the guests we were expecting to arrive are going to head up here today. Massachusetts had told the volunteers to stay available so we should be able to make them comfortable in short order.

....Massachusetts had told the volunteers to stay available so we should be able to make them comfortable in short order.

It's wonderful that there are so many volunteers like you Auntie Bon, willing to do everything they can to help others. And even if a community will not be hosting victims, there are many opportunities for everyone to help in some personal way- churches, synagogues, service organizations in every community all need help in the collection and distribution of the goods they are collecting and sending to the Gulf region. So many of us who are either retired or not working have the time (good gracious, look at the time some of us including myself have to put into posting on CC), and it doesn't take much time, to be of real service.

It's wonderful that there are so many volunteers like you Auntie Bon, willing to do everything they can to help others. And even if a community will not be hosting victims, there are many opportunities for everyone to help in some personal way- churches, synagogues, service organizations in every community all need help in the collection and distribution of the goods they are collecting and sending to the Gulf region. So many of us who are either retired or not working have the time (good gracious, look at the time some of us including myself have to put into posting on CC), and it doesn't take much time, to be of real service.

Must admit that I was using the term "we" meaning the citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts not myself personally. I am however working with a co-worker on a coat drive. Those people are going to need some overcoats when the weather starts to turn.

Archived