Wheelchair assistance for embarkation/disembarkation

ToxM

Hi all. I wonder if anyone can share their experience of wheelchair assistance for embarkation/disembarkation at the Ocean Terminal in Southampton?

There are 4 of us travelling in May on Britannia, my elderly parents and my sister and I, both my parents have requested assistance.

If someone would be kind enough to give me a run through of what happens, so I can explain to them the procedure then it will make the experience less disruptive for them.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all. I wonder if anyone can share their experience of wheelchair assistance for embarkation/disembarkation at the Ocean Terminal in Southampton?

There are 4 of us travelling in May on Britannia, my elderly parents and my sister and I, both my parents have requested assistance.

If someone would be kind enough to give me a run through of what happens, so I can explain to them the procedure then it will make the experience less disruptive for them.

Thanks in advance!

When you enter the terminal you go up the lift or escalator. In front of you there will be a desk, tell the lady who will direct you to the holding area for those requiring assistance. Once there you will wait on a seat when it is your turn a support worker, orange hi vis jackets, will take those requiring assistance to the counter to be checked in and then on to the ship. I use a mobility scooter so I may not have that exactly right. In the back of my mind I seem to think that there were some assistance helpers down stairs before the lift. This is important as it is a long walk to the assistance area where you wait.

One of those is correct, :). I think the second version as the more I think about it there are assistance people at the main door.

Someone else needs to come on to confirm.

When you enter the terminal you go up the lift or escalator. In front of you there will be a desk, tell the lady who will direct you to the holding area for those requiring assistance. Once there you will wait on a seat when it is your turn a support worker, orange hi vis jackets, will take those requiring assistance to the counter to be checked in and then on to the ship. I use a mobility scooter so I may not have that exactly right. In the back of my mind I seem to think that there were some assistance helpers down stairs before the lift. This is important as it is a long walk to the assistance area where you wait.

One of those is correct, :). I think the second version as the more I think about it there are assistance people at the main door.

Someone else needs to come on to confirm.

Your second one is correct but you will find they have a blue hi vis and make arrangements at the main entrance applicable to all terminals at Southampton,

they take right up to the "smash & grab" and help find you seating great people & service, due to my disabled wife we have used this some 7 times

Edited by TOMOGP

Your second one is correct but you will find they have a blue hi vis and make arrangements at the main entrance applicable to all terminals at Southampton,

they take right up to the "smash & grab" and help find you seating great people & service, due to my disabled wife we have used this some 7 times

Have they changed the colour or have I just not noticed, I tend to just get off and on myself, they have plenty to do without looking after me.

Have they changed the colour or have I just not noticed, I tend to just get off and on myself, they have plenty to do without looking after me.

We are the same as DaiB my wife has a electric wheelchair so no need for help, the last time we were on the QM2 it's was a right mess so many with a disability the wait was over two hours and they made us all wait in the holding pen even if you did not need help?

But most of the time it's very easy and pain free, just show up at the entrance and they will help you through checkin which has its own desks, and then help you through security which is the hardest bit, and then they will take you onboard. They are a great team of people..plus if you don't have you own wheelchair they will provide one just for getting onboard.

Edited by Jason12

Last year my wife broke her ankle six days before the cruise and she was hobbling with a boot on. We phoned up and requested assisted boarding.

We were leaving from Mayflower terminal and were directed to the assisted boarding people just inside the door. We had to wait about 15 mins for a wheelchair to become available. She was then wheeled through checkin, security and onto the ship. It was an excellent arrangement and we were very impressed.

Brian

Thanks all very helpful! As long as I can give them an idea of what's going to happen it will make it easier for them, they are mobile, but we think wheelchairs will be good for embarkation because of all the potential standing/waiting around and the long walk to the ship. They are both very independent and I think that being in a wheelchair will be a difficult enough situation for them so this has really helped me to help them be a bit more in control of the situation so thanks again!