Venice - luggage storage

My wife and I will be on a Princess cruise that disembarks in Venice. We'll spend two days in Venice, take a trip to Milan by train, then return to Venice for another two night stay. I'll I've been reading other threads about difficulty transporting luggage on water taxis, etc.

Any suggestions on what to do with luggage? I'm not sure if there's long-term luggage storage lockers at the train station or airport.

Per other posters there is a held luggage office at the train station. It will probably not be open 24 hours a day but should be open during "normal business hours". If it is similar to the one at the airport which is open about 12 hours a day it has a couple of people who check in your luggage and then check it back out to you when you return.

You will be able to take a land taxi from the cruise port to the train station after your cruise. Then you can store your bigger pieces of luggage and proceed by waterbus to your hotel. A water taxi can also be used but it will cost a lot more than the other options.

Check out some of the other posts on the board on this subject. Here is a good web site with a lot of information on Venice.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Have a great next cruise.

There is a left luggage office at top of Piazza Roma, 3 eur per day. There is also a blue bus from Piazza Roma to airpot for 3 eur per person, regular service & we found it good. Likewise bus leaves from right in front of terminal to go to Piazza Roma for same price. Those prices are 2 years ago.

Do I understand this correctly?

I can take a land taxi from airport to train station...store luggage there while I enjoy my 2 pre-cruise days in Venice, then pick up luggage and take a land taxi from train station to cruise ship on day I board? Have I got that right? That would really save me the hassle of schlepping luggage along cobblestone walks and over bridges!

Thanks!

That would be a possible way to handle your situation. When we did it after our cruise in 2003 we left our luggage at the airport since we had to return there after our stay at the hotel and because I did not know there was a held luggage office at the railroad station.

You definitely don't want to haul your bigger pieces of luggage around in Venice.

Have a great next cruise.

• 7 months later...

We just received this from our hotel:

"things are rapidly changing at the airport after the sudden, most surprising suppression of the complimentary shuttle bus which used to ply between the airport and its docks. It's not clear whether this situation, created by some financial problems, is going to be temporary or not; we suggest you therefore to check the whole thing with us closer the date of your arrival".

They also mentioned that water taxi rates seem to be climbing. We had planned on taking a water taxi to our hotel, but we are looking at some alternatives in case the water level is too low/high or it becomes really cost prohibative. But we will have all that luggage!!

I did a search and have been reading up on the luggage storage in Venice. I would like some advise from those of you who have done this.

We are flying in for a PRE cruise stay in Venice, our hotel is in the San Marco area. If we decide to leave our large pieces of luggage in storage while we enjoy Venice, which would you advise? We are planning on buying a 24 or 72 hours Venice Card.

Would you advise us to leave our luggage at the airport, take the Alilaguna to San Marco.... and then at the end of our stay, return to the airport, pick up our luggage and then take airport bus to Piazzale Roma and get a land taxi to the ship?

OR

Take the airport bus to Piazzale Roma, leave our luggage at the rail station, take the water taxi to San Marco....and then at the end of our stay, take the water taxi back to the train station, get our luggage and get a taxi to the ship?

Which would be the easiest and most logical??

If you're leaving your luggage at the train station and only will have carry-ons and can manage them yourself, avoid the water taxi altogether, which cost a fortune, and take the vaparetto to the St. Marks area from the train station. You'll save lots of $. Also, you can purchase a 48 hour pass at that time and use it over and over again, including going to Murano and Burano.

We (4 of us) will be in Venice also for a post-cruise 2 nt stay and were planning on taking our 2 pieces of luggage and carry-on bag (1 each) on the Water buses (vaporetti) is this not possible? Will they not allow luggage on these water buses? If we have to take a water taxi it will cost way too much, not in our budget. What has everyones experience been with the water buses and luggage?

You can take your luggage on the vaporetto but they are very crowded. You will have to stand which isn't a huge big deal. There are lots of bridges everywhere. You will probably have to schlepp your baggage over a few and it's a real pain but..... You will be in Venice!!!!!!

We were travelling as a couple but we met another couple at our hotel who were on the same cruise. We shared a water taxi to the Rotterdam. It cost 80 Euros but was a fantastic experience. The driver swooped around the ship and delivered us to a dock where the HAL people took our luggage and sent it onwards to the ship. It was such a neat start to the whole cruise.

Venice is stupidly expensive so you just have to acknowledge that and have fun while you are there.

You can check your bags at the Piazzale Roma and take a bus to the ship but what's the fun of that? We didn't go on a gondola because we thought that was a waste of money but we loved the water taxi.

We are going again in October on the HAL Ancient wonder from Venice to the Black Sea to Athens and will probably do the water taxi again. It was so much fun.

We arrive in Venice around 10:30pm.Would it be possible to leave our luggage until the next morning? It sure would be easier to only deal with the small carry on luggage than trekking over those bridges with ALL our luggage.Thanks,Dot

We have pretty much decided to store our large pieces of luggage for our pre cruise stay, but need to decide if we should store it at the airport or at the train station...

I may put this out as a seperate question to get some opinions of folks who have already done one or the other.

We are doing the "budget" pre cruise by staying on the mainland (Mestre) thereby avoiding all the luggage problems since we can take a land taxi.

I don't think we will miss any of the joy of Venice as we plan to leave the luggage and spend the day and evenings in Venice.

That sounds like a good plan ...must be offered by Princess.I think RCI has stays in Venice.Oh well..it will be something else to research :) Dot

No, I researched and booked on my own. We are staying at the Best Western Bologna in Mestre, across from the train station.

oh ok..I had thought about that,but I never looked into it too deep.Are the hotel prices that much cheaper? How do you get to Venice? I really wish I could have taken a cruise that started from another port and just visited Venice.But,I couldnt go on those dates,or it was for 12 days and I can only do 7.Im looking so forward to Venice,but not dealing with all that luggage! :) Dot

The hotel is $150. per night, we will either take the train which is across the street from the hotel, or the bus which is nearby. Being mobiliy impaired, we just couldn't deal with hauling the luggage over bridges. I can manage some steps, but not the luggage too.

We originally had a room reserved at Locando O. but found the rooms were upstairs without an elevator, that was when we decided to stay on the mainland.

We booked the Santa Chiara because of the location and hopefully the fact that we wont have to haul our luggage a long way.It was total USD $166.60. Since booking Ive read some reviews that we not that glowing,so I guess I will be stuck with it,but figure I can handle it for just one night.I know it was a challenge trying to find a hotel that had elevators,bath in the actual room,and air! Im sure it will all work out in the end.But,Im not phsically able to carry luggage a long way either. Dot

Archived