Cruise Insurance add on

Ataraxia

You're saying that from a base insurance premium of £130 (approx. $200), a cruise line can add an extra £500 ($750)?

Does anyone pay a premium of £130 in the first place?

My annual travel insurance premium is under half of that !!

But perhaps the cruise line insurance is the only cover that some can get, for instance because of pre-existing conditions, infirmity or extreme age.

And for UK cruisers the cruise lines often require that they have insurance in place in order to travel - whereas for North Americans insurance seems to be optional?.

For example, a lot of Brits take only coach tours to continental Europe because coach tour operators include insurance in the tour fare and they can't find any foreign travel insurance for sensible money from other sources.

And £630 buys a very good inclusive 7-day coach tour.

JB :)

I think you're using the wrong insurance companies. I use Atlas Direct and they charge me £70 a year for an annual worldwide inc. USA policy for my wife and I, this automatically covers cruises. I don't have any pre-existing conditions though, which may be why yours is so high, if you do have them.

The insurance companies I have tried have all been independent from Cruise Companies - yes i can get cover cheaper, but try and get it for over 31 days, which is required.

The initial premium is £130 the extra cruise add on from the insurance company covers things like being laid up in the cabin, cancelled excursions, missing the boat in port and helicopter rescue.

I hope this is clearer.

The insurance companies I have tried have all been independent from Cruise Companies - yes i can get cover cheaper, but try and get it for over 31 days, which is required.

The initial premium is £130 the extra cruise add on from the insurance company covers things like being laid up in the cabin, cancelled excursions, missing the boat in port and helicopter rescue.

I hope this is clearer.

I've been able to get cover extended by a few days to 30-odd days per trip by paying a fairly nominal extra sum - IIRC around £10 to £20.

Applies to both travel insurance & home insurance (different insurers).

Have you checked your home insurance ploicy? Standard cover for risks such as burglary or a burst pipe ceases after a continuous unoccupied period of around 30 to 40 days, depending on your particular policy. If your insurer won't extend that cover for a sensible extra premium, get someone to stop over in the home one night - the continuous period unoccupied then goes back to zero so you're covered for another 30 to 40 days.

JB :)