Western Carribean Excursions - Recommendations?

alligator3

My family of three - mom, dad, and teen (15) - will be sailing on the Fantasy, with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. For those who have cruised to these ports before, what were some of your favorite excursions? We are open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your input.

The most unique things on Grand Cayman (IMHO) are the turtle farm and Stingray City. You probably won't have time to hit both on a standard excursion. We loved the 3 stop snorkel day which included Stingray City--did it privately thru Captain Marvin's. We had done the island tour with them on a previous cruise. Island tour included the turtle farm and the entire tour was the same price as just the turtle farm thru Boatswain's (operators of the complex where the turtle farm is located). With a teen...I'd do the snorkel day again. Grand Cayman is safe, clean...delightful.

OK up front....I don't like Mexico. That said, if you want a beach day, Paradise Beach is quite good. Again, you can do it privately. There are lots of cabs at the port and prices are listed PER CAB on the board. Prices are government regulated. When you get there, don't let your cabbie sell you on a "package" that will include your admission, water toys, transportation, etc. You'll do better by purchasing what you want rather than getting a bundle deal.

In Cozumel, DO NOT go off the tourist track on your own. It isn't safe. At the big tourist spots you are fine, but don't explore on your own here.

I've been to Jamaica but not on a cruise ship...so I'll defer to those who have cruised here.

Edited by moki'smommy

GC we did a tour that included the butterfly farm, the turtle place, Hell, and the rum cake place the last time we were there. Butterfly farm was a waste of time. Our kids really liked the turtle place - they let you hold them.

In Jamaica Dunn's Rivers Falls is kind of fun. Haven't been to Jamaica for a number of years though.

Just so you know, Hell is a rock formation with an overlook area. They make it out to be something amazing. It's OK, but not as good as the press! There are a couple of gift shops selling all sorts of t-shirts and things with"hell" references, and a post office. The post office will take your US money, but only gives change in Cayman dollars...so bring coins/small bills.

My family of three - mom, dad, and teen (15) - will be sailing on the Fantasy, with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. For those who have cruised to these ports before, what were some of your favorite excursions? We are open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your input.

It was a toss up between Nativeways Sting ray tour in Grand Cayman and Liberty Tours Blue hole in Jamaica. They both were amazing yet so different. Sting ray tour was very vacation like and Jamaica was more of the unseen and off the beaten path type. With Blue hole we saw a lot more of the island and got the feel of Jamaica, it was about the nature of the land where as the stingray was more about the nature of the sea.