When can I expect my cabin assignment?

Cruzbw

Hi everyone,

I've never cruised Cunard before and am excited to do so. We're on the Oct 14th sailing of QM2, SH to NYC. When should I expect to receive my cabin assignment? I purchased an inside since they were almost giving them away, but of course, I would accept an ocean view if Cunard so assigns. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Bill

Cabins can be assigned anywhere from days out to many months before sailing. Now that Cunard has migrated to the Princess yield management system (called POLAR), they should be following the same procedures that Princess does. POLAR automatically assigns cabins every day using specific criteria. It looks at how much availability is left on the sailing, how many "guarantees" are still outstanding, etc. When it does assign cabins, it looks at each booking to determine when it was booked, what the cost is, and if the passengers are repeats. Unfortunately I can't predict exactly when cabin assignments will be made, as each sailing is different and Princess does not make all it's yield management strategies public. I can say it doesn't matter if you are paid in full or not. I've sailed on Princess Cruises where the cabin was assigned many months before the very day after I made deposit, and other times not until a week before even though I was paid in full for months. It all depends on the yields of the sailing and how much certain categories were oversold. Also, it's pretty much an automated process taking in the criteria I mentioned earlier.

This won't help you now, but soon you will have access to your booking on the Cunard website. Cunard will have a "personalizer" feature like Princess Cruises already has. From the Personalizer you are able to enter immigration and onboard credit card info, buy gifts and request special services, and pre-book shore excursions. Travel agents already have access to most of this information through their direct link with POLAR. The best part is that the Personalizer is directly linked to the Princess/Cunard reservation system, so you are looking at "real time" information. This means that if your cabin is assigned, you will be able to see it immediately. Many passengers booked on Princess look at the Personalizer everyday just to see if their cabin has been assigned. There is no rhyme nor reason when it does get assigned, but it usually happens sometime during the night.

Ernie

We sailed to New York in April leaving Southampton on 16 April. We received our tickets and cabin number confirmation about 10 to 14 days before sailing. In our case the stuff went to the TA from Cunard and it was posted on to us.

When we booked we asked for a particular cabin and after receiving a comp upgrade and being asked which cabin we would like, we found that it was the one on the tickets. Other threads on this board talk of upgrades at the ship so whatever you get on the tickets it may not be the final one.

Hope you enjoy the crossing. We had a fabulous time and it was our first ever time on a ship let alone the QM2. Read as many threads on this board as you can manage as they will give you loads of useful tips to help you get the most out of your 6 nights.

Hi everyone,

I've never cruised Cunard before and am excited to do so. We're on the Oct 14th sailing of QM2, SH to NYC. When should I expect to receive my cabin assignment? I purchased an inside since they were almost giving them away, but of course, I would accept an ocean view if Cunard so assigns. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Bill

You're not getting documents. Your ship has been assigned to hurricane relief. You got you wish.

With regard to cabin upgrades and the parameters the POLAR system uses to decide on cabin allocation, has anyone travelling as a family of 4 in one cabin ever been upgraded or as I suspect the system can only cater for couples ??

With regard to cabin upgrades and the parameters the POLAR system uses to decide on cabin allocation, has anyone travelling as a family of 4 in one cabin ever been upgraded or as I suspect the system can only cater for couples ??

I can't answer your question for certain, as I don't know everything about POLAR. I do know it's a very sophisticated reservation and yield management system. After Cunard, I believe HAL and some other Carnival Corp brands will be migrating to POLAR as well. I'm fairly certain it also takes into account how many people are booked into the cabin. Of course with four in a cabin, your upgrade opportunities become more limited.

Ernie

Thanks for your answers. So, basically, I'll wait and see. Eroller, that's good news about the upcoming "personalizer." Yes, when I've done Princess, I often check to see the cabin assignment. But for this cruise, it looks like I need to manually complete the "Guest Registration" form. With computers now, I don't know if my hands can actually write out a full page of info!!! I may have to do it in segments!

Cruisinfanatic: very funny. But actually I give kudos to Carnival for contracting their 3 ships for relief.

Bill

But for this cruise, it looks like I need to manually complete the "Guest Registration" form. With computers now, I don't know if my hands can actually write out a full page of info!!! I may have to do it in segments!

Bill

Too funny Bill! :D I know how you feel ... I rarely write anything anymore, and when I do it's amazing how quickly my hand gets tired.

Your travel agent will probably hate me for saying this, but they have the ability to enter all the information directly onto your booking via POLAR. Currently, only travel agents can access and update the info online, but soon passengers should have access as well.

Ernie

Ernie

Success!!! I got the "guest registration" done and mailed! Took 3 segments to do it. I counted that I wrote down my address 7 times. BTW, I don't have a TA...I made the reservations through Cunard. They had the good deal going when I made them. Thanks for your help.

Bill

Ernie

Success!!! I got the "guest registration" done and mailed! Took 3 segments to do it. I counted that I wrote down my address 7 times. BTW, I don't have a TA...I made the reservations through Cunard. They had the good deal going when I made them. Thanks for your help.

Bill

Hey Bill,

I'm glad you made it through that hardship! ;) It's all downhill from here.

One nice thing if you made reservations direct through Cunard, you can call them at anytime and see if your cabin has been assigned. If it has, they will tell you.

Good luck and have a fantastic voyage - QM2 is an amazing ship!

Ernie

I don't have my assignment yet, but I know I'll get some cabin!!! I did receive the travel docs, however. I like the case they came in, leather or leatherette. It's rather interesting: my NCL docs came on email, my Princess docs came in a nice little plastic folder, and my Cunard in a nice little leather or leatherette case with pre-printed luggage tags. I like this! I'm driving people nuts around me talking about the Oct 14th cruise, it needs to come faster!

Bill

Archived