Just back from May 8, 2004 Constellation--latest info.

We did the Red October tour in St Petersburg--never waited in line, saw everything(Hermitage, St Catherines, Peterhof, Usurpov, Synagogue, Church of Spilled Blood, St Issac, etc, etc) had 2 lunches @ neat little Russian restaurants. Our guide was HELEN--definitely wonderful. Customs was a snap.

In Germany, we used Berlin Stadtfuhrungen--an airconditioned motor coach 2 1/2 hours each way, 4 hours of guided sightseeing(Checkpoint Charley, Sony Center, Wall, Brandengurg Gate, etc) the shopped for 2 hours @ KaDaWe dept store and vicinity. People who took the Celebrity tour on train--had a 5 hour trip back to ship.

If anyone wishes more info on our experiences, please contact me.

Harvey

We want to use RO for our Grand Princess tour on 8/21 and 8/22. Specifically interested in your itinerary with RO and your suggestions about what would be appropriate for children (age 7 and 13). Also would like to know what you saw as the advantages and disadvantages between using RO vs. a ship's shore ex.

I can only imagine how tired you must be after this wonderful trip. Still, PLEASE, PLEASE, give us some more details on your trip.

What did you do in the other ports besides St Pete and Berlin?

What did you enjoy the most?

What did you enjoy the least?

Anything you would do different?

There are just a bunch of us anxiously waiting for any and all fresh information we can get.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Harvey, Do you know why the Celebrity train in Germany took 5 hours to return to the ship? It is only supposed to be 2 1/2 hours each way. We are taking the train then meeting a guide in Berlin, so your post concerns me. I would love any info you will share about the ports, ship, etc. We leave June 16. Thanks!

Here is the day-by-day summary of our May 8 Constellation cruise. I will try & keep it brief:

May 5--May 7; 3 days in London...very expensive city. Stayed at the Victoria Park Plaza Hotel(near(surprise) Victoria Station. The hotel was wonderful & affordable. We saw the Changing of the Guard at Kensington Palace(good); Crown Jewels(ok); Picadilly(good); Westminister(very good); Cabinet War Rooms(interesting & informative); Harrods(my wife loved it); hop on hop off bus(best way to see sights): Tube--subway--(quickest way to get around);

May 8 & May 9th: at sea--trying to learn way around ship--have adjusted to time change.

May 10: Oslo--the cruise really begins. Arrived at 7:00am take a ship tour early as nothing opens in the city until 9:00am and the taxi drivers are not good tour guides. Went to Vigeland Park(nice) and shopped. Missed Munch Museum and Royal Palace.

May 11: at sea

May 12: Stockholm: Vasa Museum(wonderful); old town & royal palace(another palace but old town was kind of neat); I wanted to go to the Ice Bar--but $70 for a shot of Vodka seemed too expensive and the bar didn't open to the public until 4:30pm.

May 13: Helsinki: took cruise tour for overview of city. Then went to Stockman dept store(my wife spent some time there) and walked around .

May 14-May15: St Petersburg: Red October met us at customs at 7:15am. Helen was our guide and we went off to Catherine's Palace(very nice); drove around the city and went to the grand Synagogue(being refurbished but still big & impressive with a nice gift shop next door); Went next to Peter-and-Paul Fortress(ok); and spent the next 3 hours in the Hermitage(can't describe the treasures they have there--one of the best museums in the world--but we missed the gold room); Day 2 we met Helen @ 7:15 again and left for Peterhof(great Palace and spectacular park); Went next to Savior of the Spilled Blood Cathedral and then to St Isaac's Cathedral(both very impressive); Next visit was to Yusupovs' Palace(he was richest non royalty in Russia and this s where Rasputtin was murdered); We ate at 2 neat Russian restaurants(good) and had time for shopping. Red October arranged the itinerary the way we wanted, provided an excellent tour guide-Helen_, drove us in a comfortable van, got us into every site without waiting in line, and charged a lot less than the ships tours and showed us a lot more.

May 16; Tallinn: a day to walk the old town and relax,, Very medevil, but tours not needed.

May 17: at sea

May 18: Germany: We took a tour with Berlin Stadtfuhrungen into Berlin. Had a nice coach with a/c and large windows. Our guide met us in Berlin & we had a 4 hour tour--Checkpoint Charley(photo op); Brandenberg Gate(another historic site); Berlin Wall (what remains of it is still haunting); Sony Center(the new hub of Berlin entertainment and architecture); We then had 2 hours of free time for--what else--shopping(Ka Da We department store--rivals Harrods) + lots of smaller designers shops we have in the U.S. We left Berlin about 5:30 and were back at the ship by 8:00pm. The reason the ships train took so long is they had to pull over everytime a high speed train went to pass them, Our ships Captain was not happy with their late return.

We ended up seeing more, in comfort, for a lot less then the ships tour.

May 19-May 20. Copenhagen: We were pretty well worn down by now, so we opted for hop on hop off bus tour, with a little sightseeing.

May 21: at sea

May 22: Windsor: we stayed at a hotel near Heathrow and took the tzxi to Windsor. It was a great little tourist city with of course the Royal Palace being the hightlight. If you have the time--it is well worth a visit.

I hope everyone going on a Baltic Cruise enjoys it as much as we did. If anyone needs any further details, address or websites of Red October or Berlin Stadtfuhrungen or has any questions, please let me know.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey. Which Ports did Celebrity provide a shuttle in? How did they work? We are signed up for RO, but hope to play the rest on our own. Any other tips, for those exploring solo? I am a little vague on where ship docks in relation to attractions.Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Sam

PS Knew an entertainer from Boynton Beach, Vince Gare(tano).

Sadrezin--they docked close to almost every city. In Oslo--you can walk into town. In Stockholm--the shuttle takes you to the Royal Palace, a few blocks from old town. In Helsinki, the shuttle takes you downtown, near Stockmanns department store. In Tallinn, the shuttle drops you off by old town. In Copenhagen, the shuttle takes you into town--the hop on-hop off picks you up ath the ship(about $25).

Aqua--The cabinet war rooms were underground and you can visit the rooms --beneath the streets of Westminster--where Churchill and his staff and most everyone connected with the war effort lived(underground). You see their living quarters, war rooms, communications, maps, etc--really amazing hq.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey. Can you please tell me where the Cabinet War Rooms are and how you arrange to see them? They sound wonderful.

I bet you are sorry you ever posted to this board. We are all so hungry for information that we are probably driving you crazy! We all appreciate the information! Thanks!

Thanks so much for sharing and for the information.

Our cruise is in late Auguest - am particularly wondering about Helsinki - would you recommend the ship's tour or is it walkable/doable on your own?

Carol

to jeanb: there is no charge for Celebrity shuttles

to Aqua: I am glad to share my experiences--as others were in helping me prepare for our sightseeing. The cabinet war rooms are located in the St James Park/Westminister area(Clive Steps, King Charles Street). We were walking around and found it--you might try www.iwm.org.uk

to Brahmama--although you can see Helsinki on your own very nicely, a good way to start is with the city tour to get an overview. engjoy

Harvey

Hello Harvey,

I would like to ask some questions, I would appreciate if you could answer me:

About Helsinki cruise. Was the boat enclosed or open? After the boat cruise where did they drop you off?

Did Red October issue your visa and did have to wait until all the shore excursion left, and could you enter the musuems an hour before like with Celbrity.

Thanks in advance

Sima

----------

Ship's Log http://geocities.com/sima22222

The Webcam Collection http://geocities.com/sima1111/

Harvey,

Could you post the web/email for your Berlin tour. What other options for Germany did you consider and could you get to Berlin on your own by train.

Thanks so much

Jerry

Jewel of the Seas 7/05

Brilliance 1/05

Constellation 9/04

Radiance 1/04

Constellation 9/03

Golden Princess 1/03

Radiance 4/02

Explorer of the Seas 12/01

Voyager of the Seas 2/01

Monarch of the Seas 8/00

Splendour of the Seas 12/99

NCL Sea 8/96

A bunch others

Sima: we didn't do the city cruise--but we saw sightseeing boats both enclosed and not. Red October handled the group visa for us--we were the Ist group to leave the ship. Celebrity said to meet in lounge at 7:00am, but we just went to gangplank at 7:00am and got right off. Red October got us into every site without waiting in any line. I can't recommend them highly enough--it was great.

Alcman-you can contact the at: info@berlin-stadtfuehrung.de The cost is a fraction of Celebrity train into Berlin without any sightseeing. good luck

Harvey

Harvey,

Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Jewel of the Seas 7/05

Brilliance 1/05

Constellation 9/04

Radiance 1/04

Constellation 9/03

Golden Princess 1/03

Radiance 4/02

Explorer of the Seas 12/01

Voyager of the Seas 2/01

Monarch of the Seas 8/00

Splendour of the Seas 12/99

NCL Sea 8/96

A bunch others

Harvey -

Thanks for all the useful posts. I have a few questions about Red October. How much was the customary tip for the driver and guide? How was it distributed; did you tip each person separately or all together? Do they have a problem accepting large denomination bills

(50's and 100's) to pay for the tour?

thanks again,

john

JE Burton--John: we paid Red October with credit cards(I think it was an additional 3%).

We tipped individually, I think we gave Helen(guide) about $40-$50/couple and the driver about $ 10-$15/couple.

We paid at the end of the Ist day in the Red October store--Laura was there--and I am sure they accept any denomination bills.

Harvey

Just curious, was there a problem getting off the ship. In an earlier posting, someone said the ships crew wanted private tour people to wait until all their Celebrity tours were gone before they were allowed to disembark. How did that work for you? Thanks!

Kajack: there was no problem being the first people off the ship. Instead of waiting in the lounge, we just went to the gangplank @ 7:00am and got off before any groups from the ship came there. The Russian customs took about 1 minute--all they did was look and stamp our passports.

Harvey

Archived