Guarantee.....woo hoo....so pleased

Theodorable

A "guarantee" booking does specify the specific cabin and costs less. You are "guaranteed" a cabin in the class booked or higher!

I'm sure this has been clarified by now but just in case: the guarantee does NOT specify a cabin; it guarantees a cabin the category paid for and possibly a higher category cabin. So don't book a guaranty in a category LOWER than you'll be happy with. The actual cabin can be assigned almost immediately or on the dock at embarkation. It's not for those who have particular requirements, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, the guarantee does not always cost less; today I booked on the Royal, and I can assure you there was no price break. Now, I've done this quite a number of times with good success. I am hopeful it will work out but I'll still be happy if it doesn't.

I booked a guarantee this morning. When I hit the "let us choose your cabin" button it immediately told me what cabin it was selecting. That is what I was referring to when I said it tells you a cabin number. I accepted the booking and it lists the exact cabin number that it showed before I booked.

Yes, I understand that the guarantee just says I will have at the very least that specific category of cabin but it did list a specific cabin...

Edited by Thrak

that you check some of the big online TA's before you book directly with the cruiseline, especially if you want a guarantee. You can save a fair bit of money and also have some OBC or gratuities paid for you. We have used the same online TA for 15 years with absolutely no problems. They are quick, efficient and most importantly, don't charge you to cancel!

In my case yesterday for my booking it cost over $100 less than the lowest obstructed ocean view category (choose your cabin variety) and I received $50 onboard credit so I am happy!

Thai is the most important thing, congrats.....:):):)

Bob

that you check some of the big online TA's before you book directly with the cruiseline, especially if you want a guarantee. You can save a fair bit of money and also have some OBC or gratuities paid for you. We have used the same online TA for 15 years with absolutely no problems. They are quick, efficient and most importantly, don't charge you to cancel!

Excellent advice but here's a curious situation that I encountered yesterday. I went to the Princess site and got the cost of the cabin category I was interested in. Then I called two TAs, one a major warehouse, the other a major "discount" house. To my surprise both gave the exact same price which was $250 higher than what Princess was asking. When I pointed this out to the warehouse's agent, he went off to check with his supervisor. Unfortunately, at that point the battery in my phone died, so I didn't find out what he learned.

So I waited half an hour and called the warehouse again. This time a different

agent gave me a price $50 lower than Princess' with $250 OBC, not bad at all and I know they're not fly by night.

Nevertheless, my happy ending was that I used another discounter whom I had used in the past and got $300 off the Princess price with $50 OBC. Not much OBC but every bit counts. This all takes a bit of effort and it sure helps to be retired with time on my hands. Sometimes I think my biggest joy is in the chase.

Edited by BosoxI

As Bosoxi has mentioned, research is very important. I always check the pices on the website of the online cruise TA we use, then check the cruise line. When I am ready to book I actually phone the online TA rather than book online (oxymoron I know)...but there is usually more OBC to be had if you call, not sure why that is though.

On the booking I made a couple of days ago I saw a price on the online TA website that I was happy with. When I called they actually quoted a price $100 more than I saw on the website. I actually had my iPad open on the category and price so asked the TA to check again. She did and then realized that she hadn't clicked on the specials they were offering...suddenly she saw the price I did and I made the booking along with getting some OBC Credit.

We have had great success using this method.

Edited by Theodorable

I just received my cabin assignment for Royal Mar 29 departure. I booked the cheapest IF guarantee last fall. Today I received a notice that I had been upgraded to an IA on Riviera Deck. I knew it was too much to hope for an upgrade to Balcony!