Things to do in Stockholm

This is just a few suggestions on what there is to see and do in Stockholm. I have assembled them because I live in Stockhol an often get questions about my city. Hope this can help some of you plan your visit here.

Stockholm is easy to see on your own. There are good transportation facilities, and it is not difficult to move around. You will find that most people speak English, so you will always be able to ask for guidance or help.

The Vasa museum is something most visitors want to see. Vasa is a 17th century ship that went down in Stockholm harbour on its maiden voyage. It was rescued from the bottom during the 1950ies. Here is a link to find out more about this museum: Vasa. Another interesting museum, if the weather is good, is Skansen outdoor museum. It is situated within walking distance from the Vasa museum, and here is the link: Skansen Skansen is a nice park area where you will see how life in different parts of Sweden was in the old days, mainly the 19th century.

My recommendation to anyone visiting Stockholm is to take a walk around the old town. It is nice just to stroll through the cobblestone streets. Things to see here include the Royal Palace and the main church. In the palace there is a museum you could visit, and the changing of the guard takes place daily, at 12.00 on week-days and 13.00 on Sundays. Often there is a walking concert by the military band.

The royal family only goes to work in the Royal Palace; they live at Drottningholm near Stockholm. Here is a link to information about the Royal Palaces and the court of Sweden: * This palace is also worth a visit, for someone with time to see more than just the city, it is beautiful, and among the attractions here are the 1800-century palace theatre, still being used, and the Chinese Pavilion. You will find info on Drottningholm palace and on the Pavilion at the above link and here is one on the theatre: Theatre

Another place you may want to visit is the Stockholm City Hall. This is where the Nobel Price dinner takes place every December, but it has other interesting aspects too. Here is the link: City Hall

A good way to see Stockholm, as the city is built on islands, is a guided boat tour. There are also sightseeing bus tours. Here are the links: Boat and Bus

If you cross one of the bridges leading north from the Old Town you will find the park Kungsträdgården. It is one of the main meeting places in Stockholm and a great place to just watch people. Often there is something going on. The area north of this park is the main shopping area, with the NK store among others.

Here is a link to some general tourist info on Stockholm: Stockholm

[This message was edited by north-bound on 05-28-04 at 06:01 AM.]

We are o n the July 15 sailing of the Jewel which docks in town but not in Old Town. What is the best way to get around. We will just want to do the Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan . Thanks

stipmom,

Jewel docks at Stadsgården on July 22. From there you will be able to see Gamla Stan, and to get there you can just walk along the quay. Or, if you have a problem with walking, take a taxi or there are buses that pass nearby that can take you to Slussen, the area just south of Gamla Stan.

From Gamla Stan there are ferries that can take you to the Vasa Museum. Here is a link to a map: Ferrie. It is only in Swedish, but you can see where the ferries leave from near Slussen, and the museum is at number 3 on the map.Your ship is docked at the grey quay going eastsoutheast from Slussen.

Or you can either walk or take a bus from Gamla Stan to Norrmalmstorg, where you take bus number 47 to the Vasa Museum.

You will find more info on transportation in Stockholm on the thread headed "Stockholm - docking and transportation"

NorthBound,

Thank you for all the information! We will be doing a pre-cruise stay at the Hilton, July 14-16th, prior to boarding the RSSC Voyager.

The information you also provided regarding transportation is extremely useful!

Thanks again,

Miriam

Voyager - Baltics - July 16th!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;07;16;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Northbound,

Was Jean Baptiste Bernadotte (founder of the Bernadotte dynasty) the same Bernadotte who was a Marshall for Napoleon? I've heard that but I thought I'd check with someone who'd know for sure.

Greg

USNA72

We will be staying at the Lady Hamilton in the Gamla Stan for three days after ourConstellation cruise ends July 3.

I really appreciate all the info posted by North Bound here about Stockholm. I am making note of it for our sightseeing.

Now, another question. Where to eat typical Swedish foods. After two weeks on the ship, I won't be hungry for rich stuff or a big meal. What I would like is to eat what I do not normally get at home. (You know, we go out for Chinese, Italian, Mexican, even German, but never Swedish!

We will have a "Scandinavian breakfast" whatever that includes each morning at the hotel. Is it a biggie like the English breakfast or rolls and juice like Continental?

The only foodstuffs Swedish I can think of are pancakes and herring,and I don't think they go together.

So, any suggestions?

love

joan

Northbound,

You're so very helpful. Thanks.

Our ship will dock in Nynashaam, so we'll need to take the train into Stockholm and then we'll have to take a 3:00 train back so that we're back on the ship by 5:00. We'll only have a half day in Stockholm.

So we'll buy the Stockholm transportation card (we can buy it at the station in Nynasham, right?), but do we really need to buy the 24 hour Stockholm card? Will it save us any money if we only go to two musuems - the Vasa and perhaps the Skansen.

I'd also like to walk in the old town and see the Royal Palace and the chuch. Would we need a ticket to enter the Palace?

Lastly, would we have time to take a boat tour also?

Is there an ATM machine at the train station in Nynasham?

Many thanks.

Jane

Joan 24

(Are you Jone or Jo-Ann? I am Jo-ann. I have a little granddaughter Shannon Joan. When she is here in Broken Arrow, she is Shannon Jo-Ann. When she is at her other grandmother's in Chicago, she is Shannon Jone. She was named for both of us.)

Anyway, I have never stayed at the Lady Hamilton, but we were impressed by a review that said "it is like a museum." It is in a very very old building converted to a hotel, and its furnishings are antiques or good reproductions. It just sounds like fun -- and of course we are paying extra for the "privilege."

I will be back second week of July. Let's compare notes.

love

joan

Jane,

We will be on the Grand, docking in Nynashamn too. Here's the way we are looking at it: We are getting the Stockholm card, even though it probably won't save us any money. We thought that at approx. $37 it is a bargain, compared to the $69 Princess wants just for the transportation.

We can get the card online before we go and don't have to worry about spending any time getting tickets, changing money etc. The card will cover our transportation and anything we can squeeze into our short time in Stockholm.

We are also a bit concerned about Nynashamn being a tender port and wondering how long we'll have to wait to get ashore & catch the train. Considering all the obstacles there, I wish Princess was allowing more port time. Those on the 5/19 sailing will be returning soon and have promised to tell all about it.

Julie

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

Thank you for such valuable information. We have purchased the Stockholm Card and want to include in our day the historical Canal tour. It leaves from Quayside Stadshusbron. We haven't found this on our maps anywhere. Where is that located and how do we get there from the Central Station (or even, Gamla Stan)?

Thanks again!

Archived