Visa for india

ronpes

Hello folks,

We are very keen on a trip to Singapore which stops in India. I have just leaned that we need a visa and the rules are about to change on the 16th March that we can no longer post the application but you have to turn up in person. This could be a major problem due to lack of time of work etc.

Appreciate to hear from any others that are in the same process.

Regards

Ron

No reply now required as I have decided to err on the side of caution and not proceed with the booking. Due to the change in the visa process there was no gaurentee that I would get my visa in time. I probably could get it if I appear in person at a consulate but I cannot afford the time to do that so we have decided to pass on this occasion.

Regards

Ron

We went to Goa for a friend's wedding a couple of years ago. I did not want to risk my passport in the post when applying for a visa as we had another holiday booked before we went to Goa. I applied in person at an office near to Heathrow (possibly the Hounslow one), taking my husbands application as well. Yes, it did mean a morning off work but it was done there and then and with no chance of my passport getting delayed / lost in the post. We are on a cruise calling at 3 Indian ports in 2017, so will have to go through the new system. As you say, you now have no option but to apply in person but at least you can book a time, previously you turned up and took a ticket!!

A note to others who need to apply for a visa - they are generally valid for 6 months, allow multiple entry but start from the date of application and so you cannot apply too far in advance.

Based on your replies and further details I received today regarding this trip, I have now changed my mind and booked it.

Thank you both for your messages which was a big help.

Regards

Ron.

Based on your replies and further details I received today regarding this trip, I have now changed my mind and booked it.

Thank you both for your messages which was a big help.

Regards

Ron.

Pleased to have been of help. Whilst I have not sailed to India or Singapore I have spent some time in both and I'm sure you will enjoy the cultural experience they have to offer ;). The trip of a lifetime awaits you.

Enjoy!

Edited by C U Onboard

Forgot to mention:

Be sure and consult your GP to determine any vaccinations or medications recommended for your trip. This should be done a couple of months before setting off since some treatments need to be started in advance of travel (Malaria etc). Failure to do this could breach the terms of any travel insurance cover :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Read in the Telegraph at the weekend that the Indian Visa system has back tracked from introducing Biometric testing or having to appear in person when applying for a visa, can still do postal applications!!

That is very interesting and I did not know that. I appreciate the info. However, we have booked our appointment with the consulate next week so we will stick with that. Thank you anyway.

Regards