first Northern europe cruise

Hi

We are looking at taking a cruise next year around norway Iceland etc. probably around June/ July time.

Never been to this area before so don't really know what to expect.

What is weather like?

Which ports offer the most in terms of scenery/ tours etc?

Which cruise line would you recommend for this area?

Any advice / info is greatly appreciated!

Trixie,

If you do a search on Cruise Critic with the words Norway and Iceland, you'll find a lot of interesting threads, including one listing the cruise lines that offer Norway and Iceland cruises (and the different options) and discussing whether do to an all-Norway fjords cruise or a Norway-Iceland (and sometimes Faroe, Shetland and/or Orkney Islands) combo.

I particularly recommend a recent thread on Reykjavik and Akyreyri with photos -- by someone from Singapore who chose to rent a car instead of taking a tour -- and then there's i-Cruiser's fantastic thread on Alesund (and lots of other ports of call in Norway because people ask him about a lot of places since he's a local and responds quickly and thoroughly).

Based on our experience, you'll have to bring cold weather clothing because temperatures can range between the 40s and 60s (Fahrenheit), and it can be sunny or rainy and overcast. But it will be glorious, and photos won't be able to capture the magnitude of the mountains and valleys you'll see.

Regarding schedule, an all Norway cruise will likely feature a port almost every single day, while a Norway-Iceland cruise will require one or two days on the way to Iceland because it's kind of out of the way. So you have to decide whether you want to see a lot of the fjords (as we plan to do next year because it's all so picturesque) or see two different kinds of places (fjords in Norway and volcanic wonders in Iceland, plus other islands) but be in the water for more days than you would be in a Norway cruise.

Regarding what line, that depends on your favorite cruise lines, prices, dates and preferred itineraries. We chose a Cunard 14-day cruise to Norway and Iceland because dates matched our airline tickets (bought for a cruise we decided to cancel) because we liked the itinerary and got a good price, even though we had not traveled on that line before. We liked that it went to three Iceland ports (Reykjavik, Akureyri and Isafjordur), plus two in Norway, and one each in the Faroes and the Orkneys. We took small group tours in Reykjavik (Golden Circle -- long day, everyone does it, but you'll see the places featured in movies and tv (we saw the Game of Thrones crew filming)) and Akureyri (including a dip at the Mytvatn Nature Baths, which is smaller but similar to the Blue Lagoon experience which we would not have had time to do in Reykjavik) with FAB Tours, and joined a fantastic horse riding adventure in Dyrafjordur coordinated by West Tours of Isafjordur. If you can, pick a cruise that spends three or more days in Iceland, even if two of those days are in Reykjavik, so that you have the opportunity to experience the sights and outdoor activities that make it a fascinating country.

BTW, we loved our stop in Kirkway, Orkney Islands. Beautiful countryside, interesting archeological sites and city center, and fine crafts (got some wonderful silver jewelry and lots of knitting wool from some hardy sheep that live off seaweed). Because of bad weather, we missed our Faroe stop.

Hope this helps. Again, doing a search on Cruise Critic will give you (as it did to us) a good idea about the ports and itinerary alternatives so that you can make the best decision for you.:)

Hi Dididi

Thanks for the info will do a thorough search. We definitely want to see Iceland (and we are big fans of game of thrones so maybe we'll be lucky!). Never thought of Cunard but will maybe look at it- always thought it mightbe too formal for us.

Ty again.

Trixie,

If you do a search on Cruise Critic with the words Norway and Iceland, you'll find a lot of interesting threads, including one listing the cruise lines that offer Norway and Iceland cruises (and the different options) and discussing whether do to an all-Norway fjords cruise or a Norway-Iceland (and sometimes Faroe, Shetland and/or Orkney Islands) combo.

I particularly recommend a recent thread on Reykjavik and Akyreyri with photos -- by someone from Singapore who chose to rent a car instead of taking a tour -- and then there's i-Cruiser's fantastic thread on Alesund (and lots of other ports of call in Norway because people ask him about a lot of places since he's a local and responds quickly and thoroughly).

Based on our experience, you'll have to bring cold weather clothing because temperatures can range between the 40s and 60s (Fahrenheit), and it can be sunny or rainy and overcast. But it will be glorious, and photos won't be able to capture the magnitude of the mountains and valleys you'll see.

Regarding schedule, an all Norway cruise will likely feature a port almost every single day, while a Norway-Iceland cruise will require one or two days on the way to Iceland because it's kind of out of the way. So you have to decide whether you want to see a lot of the fjords (as we plan to do next year because it's all so picturesque) or see two different kinds of places (fjords in Norway and volcanic wonders in Iceland, plus other islands) but be in the water for more days than you would be in a Norway cruise.

Regarding what line, that depends on your favorite cruise lines, prices, dates and preferred itineraries. We chose a Cunard 14-day cruise to Norway and Iceland because dates matched our airline tickets (bought for a cruise we decided to cancel) because we liked the itinerary and got a good price, even though we had not traveled on that line before. We liked that it went to three Iceland ports (Reykjavik, Akureyri and Isafjordur), plus two in Norway, and one each in the Faroes and the Orkneys. We took small group tours in Reykjavik (Golden Circle -- long day, everyone does it, but you'll see the places featured in movies and tv (we saw the Game of Thrones crew filming)) and Akureyri (including a dip at the Mytvatn Nature Baths, which is smaller but similar to the Blue Lagoon experience which we would not have had time to do in Reykjavik) with FAB Tours, and joined a fantastic horse riding adventure in Dyrafjordur coordinated by West Tours of Isafjordur. If you can, pick a cruise that spends three or more days in Iceland, even if two of those days are in Reykjavik, so that you have the opportunity to experience the sights and outdoor activities that make it a fascinating country.

BTW, we loved our stop in Kirkway, Orkney Islands. Beautiful countryside, interesting archeological sites and city center, and fine crafts (got some wonderful silver jewelry and lots of knitting wool from some hardy sheep that live off seaweed). Because of bad weather, we missed our Faroe stop.

Hope this helps. Again, doing a search on Cruise Critic will give you (as it did to us) a good idea about the ports and itinerary alternatives so that you can make the best decision for you.:)

Sorry if i am hijacking:o

How was the crossing to Iceland. Is it normally a rough crossing?

were a lot of people onboard sick?

Thanks

Kerri

The North Sea can be rough, but we did not encounter stormy seas (on the way to and from Iceland) until we were on our way back to the Faroes. Very high winds from a hurricane that was in its last legs all the way north of Scotland did not let us dock in Torshavn. So, in our experience, the crossing can be choppier than an all-Norway cruise along the fjords, but my uncle got caught a couple of years ago in a storm in Norway that made the Hurtingen ship deviate from its regular coastal course. So bad sea conditions can happen anywhere.

Regarding Cunard, we found the ship (Queen Victoria) to be beautiful, and the service and food very good. My daughter enjoyed the kids' club a lot. I did not care much for the buffet, so we ended up going to the main dining room more often than planned. You can wear the same fancy outfits several times, so I would have packed fewer of those and still look smart.

What we minded was not the dressing up, but the non smiling passengers. I would get flamed if I posted this on the Cunard forum, but many of the people we would run into in the hallways would not return our greeting. Two other families we met on a shore excursion (from the US and from Spain) had the same experience. I did make friends in the knitting/stitching circle that met on sea days, of all ages and backgrounds, everyone eager to share wool shop info at our ports of call. So, when we disembarked we thought never again on Cunard. Upon reflection nine months later, if the itinerary and price are right, we might consider Cunard because my daughter loved it, and we enjoyed the pub lunch (open for dinner one evening), the rotating specialty dining opportunities (in a separate section of the buffet, reservations required, $10 fee), and the ship's facilities and staff. I would not cross off Cunard, but know it might require more of an effort to find like-minded people than in Princess or Azamara. This of course is nowhere as important as catching up with the family at new, magical settings, which is the main purpose of taking a trip together. Just our opinion.

We are taking advantage of Icelandair's Stopover program enroute to our Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Eclipse. You can choose how long you want to stay in Iceland enroute to or from the many US airports to most European cities.

This option is more economical than cruises that include Iceland as part of their fjords itineraries. If your time is limited, the sea travel involved in sailing to Iceland is eliminated which is another plus. Plus Icelandair fares are very reasonable!

Hi Trixie! I have not been to Iceland on a cruise, but I was there for vacation and met a number of people there for a couple days via cruising. You will most likely port in Reykjavik- most common and popular town of visiting. That's kind of like the 'hub' of Iceland and you can do anything you want from that point.

Do you know how long the cruise will stop there for? Your best bet would probably be half day tours. You can do a lot on your own by renting a car, but the closest areas are great to see with a tour company. My family and I rented a car, but when we first got there we did the golden circle tour with a local from Guide to Iceland- https://guidetoiceland.is/book-trips-holiday/nature-tours/golden-circle I'd definitely recommend them! Great trip with small group and did not feel any bit commercialized. For other tours on your own, there are maps, suggested itineraries, etc. everywhere you can think of - everyone is Iceland is very accommodating and helpful! Just know how long it will take you to get places ahead of time. (can drive 5 hours for ice caves and other popular sites) Reykjavik is also popular for their food and nightlife! So you can always spend a day just wandering the city, shopping, eating, etc- http://www.visitreykjavik.is/

Iceland is expensive so just be prepared for that as well..And bring your own water bottles! Summer time is their most popular tourist time and it's around 50s/60s but weather is very fickle there so always be sure to check every few hours.

Norway is on my bucket list so you'll have to tell me how visiting it on a cruise is! I heard it's also breathtaking. Disney cruises (which I've always wanted to try) is now doing a Norway/Iceland cruise so I may just have to do that in my future!

Edited by smitch588