Cyclone Pam and Pacific cruise on Solstice

noosagirl

Has anyone heard from their travel agent whether the cruise Syd-Syd departing 22nd March will keep the same itinerary due to Cyclone Pam?

Such a disaster for those beautiful peaceful islands.

Hi guys, I'm actually a travel agent and booked on this sailing. There has been no agency updates as yet.

The 14 March Solstice cruise that departed today is due to travel as per cruising schedule, as per advice from Celebrity yesterday.

However there is now Cyclone Nathan that may make its way to the Coral Sea as per following info:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

According to the above link, if Cyclone Nathan hits the coral sea it will be in the next few days. If this is Tues / Weds, hopefully the area is clear by the time we arrive in our first port Noumea the following Weds.

I would think it will depend on the damage to the ports.

If you look at the TV pictures of Vanuatu, it doesn't look as though their infrastructure could take a huge cruise ship.

In the past, we weren't allowed into Key West after hurricane Wilma, as there was 6ft of water in the town and the coast guard wouldn't let us in.

Edited by upwarduk

I would think it will depend on the damage to the ports.

If you look at the TV pictures of Vanuatu, it doesn't look as though their infrastructure could take a huge cruise ship.

In the past, we weren't allowed into Key West after hurricane Wilma, as there was 6ft of water in the town and the coast guard wouldn't let us in.

Thanks Jackie for the info. The itinerary Noosagirl is referring to actually doesn't visit Vanuatu, only New Caledonia & Fiji. My concern for the cruise is if this rough weather has affected sailing ability / high seas for the neighbouring countries as they are quite close to each other.

Things look like they should have calmed down from Cyclone Pam by the time this cruise arrives in the South Pacific, just crossing fingers Cyclone Nathan doesn't follow Pam's footsteps.

We are on your Solstice 22nd March departure.

Cyclone Pam will be well & truly past the islands by the time we even leave port.:)

We are not visiting Vanuatu on this cruise & at this stage Noumea, Lifou, Isle Of Pines & Fiji are unaffected in any major way from the cyclone so our itinerary regarding ports of call I would expect will stay the same.

Very sad for the people of Vanuatu though - our thoughts are with them.

Cyclone Nathan is now predicted to turn south/east & not travel east toward the islands, if it continues south easterly by the time we leave the remnants of it may be bringing wet weather to Sydney & potentially choppy seas the first 2 days out. But we are still a week away & that is a long time in the life of a cyclone.

I suggest rather than get info from the forums, to instead follow the daily updates on Oz Cyclone Chasers who give an excellent video update every night in detail as to predicted paths of all cyclones in the vicinity. :)

We are on your Solstice 22nd March departure.

Cyclone Pam will be well & truly past the islands by the time we even leave port.:)

We are not visiting Vanuatu on this cruise & at this stage Noumea, Lifou, Isle Of Pines & Fiji are unaffected in any major way from the cyclone so our itinerary regarding ports of call I would expect will stay the same.

Very sad for the people of Vanuatu though - our thoughts are with them.

Cyclone Nathan is now predicted to turn south/east & not travel east toward the islands, if it continues south easterly by the time we leave the remnants of it may be bringing wet weather to Sydney & potentially choppy seas the first 2 days out. But we are still a week away & that is a long time in the life of a cyclone.

I suggest rather than get info from the forums, to instead follow the daily updates on Oz Cyclone Chasers who give an excellent video update every night in detail as to predicted paths of all cyclones in the vicinity. :)

Thanks for the reassurance, sounds like things should be good for our cruise.

PS I noticed you've cruised a few times on radiance, my favourite ship! This is my first time on a Celeb so hoping Solstice is just as nice, if not nicer!!