Budapest in June

Mickey22

Agreed. If you can book tickets for the Opera. I saw a Puccini double bill - Suor Angelica (even for an opera nut like me, it is the most turgid of pieces) and Gianni Schicchi (which was sensational). But interval drinks on the balcony, the buildings, the audience and the whole experience made it one of the most memorable parts of that trip.

We did reserve seats. You can't get your exact seats till about 5 months out but you can reserve the Level. So we booked in Level I which will be in the first 10 rows on the orchestra level or first row balcony. Was surprised how affordable they were compared to going even to our local theater hear in Knoxville. Can't wait.

The thermal baths are a must. There are some that are totally indoors and some that are indoor and outdoors. They are sooooo inexpensive also. The flea/craft/food market at the old train station is a lot of fun and a great place to grab a beer and sausage sandwich. I have been to BUD 5 times and am going back again this summer. My favorite restaurant in BUD is Riso Restaurant. It has indoor and outdoor dining and is on the hillside, below the old city and the Old Town Hilton in Budapest. I make sure I go there everytime I am there.

A few blocks away from the Opera House is Liszt Ferenc ter (a popular square named after Franz Liszt, the famous composer) where you can have a drink or coffee or eat at one of several popular places before or after the performance). We ate at a place called Menza which to this day has the best goulash ever had! You will probably pass by this square on your bus tour and it is also a Hop-on Hop-off stop as well.