How many cabins does 1 attendent look after?

schlocklate

Now, you can leave, put one of those signs on your door to have the cabin service, come back hours later and your room will not be cleaned.

We've had that happen on a few of our most recent Celebrity cruises. Really uncalled for when you come back to your room at 2 PM and it's not done. This happened twice in one cruise. Another cruise we were lucky if our room was done by noon. Now my DH gets up at 6 AM and we are out of the cabin at 8 AM for breakfast. No need for the room not be done up 10:30 AM the latest.

We've had that happen on a few of our most recent Celebrity cruises. Really uncalled for when you come back to your room at 2 PM and it's not done. This happened twice in one cruise. Another cruise we were lucky if our room was done by noon. Now my DH gets up at 6 AM and we are out of the cabin at 8 AM for breakfast. No need for the room not be done up 10:30 AM the latest.

Knowing that the staff has a huge number of cabins (depending on who you believe in this thread), how would you expect them to have tended to every cabin, including yours/ before noon each day?

So assuming 20 minutes per cabin, they start cleaning around 9, they would only have time to have reached 5 or 6 cabins by 10:30 (of their list of 18-26 depending on who to believe) unfortunately yours must be at the end of their hall/list.

Most people are up early, and every cabin can not be cleaned at the exact moment in time. Some will be done by 9am, others noon, still others mid afternoon. It's a ballet in reality if you look at all the moving parts.

Missed service entirely is inexcusable, but to be put off by a cabin not being ready till after noon is a bit unreasonable, unless you call the front desk or tell your steward you want service daily at a certain time.

I've also noted that cabin staff seem to take off around 2 or 3 pm and return at the dinner hour, so perhaps, they were coming to do your cabin and you returned to use bathroom or whatever and had the door locked. It's happened to me, I've been out in the morning, back with my door locked for a hour or so, go out for lunch, come back at 1:30 or so, and my cabin does not get cleaned till dinner service, likely because they noted I was in my cabin and didn't bother me.

It turned you off room service because your room steward also delivered your food?

How about when he puts new towels out, or new pillowcases on your bed? Your face touches them.

How about when he puts ice in your ice bucket, or brings you new glasses?

What is the difference between filling your ice bucket, replenishing your glasses, putting new sheets and pillowcases on your bed, putting towels out, and delivering room service?

So you will never get room service on any Celebrity cruises in the future? Then why bother going on Celebrity? Pick another line and see if it's any different.

It is different on every other line, there is a dedicated food and beverage staff which includes room service deliveries. Different departments and people take care of food service and housekeepong

Since food is quite low on the reasons I cruise, and room service even lower, I'll continue to make my own choices.

But hey, thanks for the snarky suggestion anyway

It is different on every other line, there is a dedicated food and beverage staff which includes room service deliveries. Different departments and people take care of food service and housekeepong

Since food is quite low on the reasons I cruise, and room service even lower, I'll continue to make my own choices.

But hey, thanks for the snarky suggestion anyway

You're most welcome, dear, but the suggestion wasn't meant to be snarky. It was meant to be straight and to the point.

There really is NO difference between your cabin steward handling food, or handling ICE or GLASSES for your drinks.

It all goes into your mouth.

Really.

Why would anyone worry about how many rooms a cabin steward cleans, or who delivers room service, or how tips are split. As long as everything gets done reasonably well, just enjoy your cruise; you are on vacation, not the COO of a major cruise line.

To be sympathetic does not mean one is high and mighty. It is a hard job and why shouldn't one care? To a certain degree, they have made a choice. However, when it is the only realistic option for some it is not much of a choice. There are too many broad brush strokes made when it comes to these sorts of discussions. For every Romanian bartender who wants to practice her English and see the world, there are cruise staff with wives and kids supporting their extended family.

I also think the raw numbers argument is troubling. As the saying goes, there are lies, damn lies and statistic. Numbers in the abstract can sound impressive. One should read Time on the Cross by Fogel and Engerman and see how economists can pervert statistics to argue a class of people are not as bad off as one thinks.

I have a friend who was a former cruise ship captain. He left the business because he was sick of the separation from his family. Over the years, he told me many stories from his time as a cruise ship captain; many of which were quite funny. One of the things he did mention was how tough the hotel workers and able seamen had it. He said most of them were married and were not only supporting their immediate family but also their extended family. While their job allows their families to have a home with electricity and running water and provides their kids the ability to go to school, they are also often providing for their parents and grandparents. They pay for all the medical bills when someone is sick. A cruise line does not provide health insurance. In addition, they have to pay all the fees associated with working in the industry (seafarer IDs, health certificates etc.). Some of these organizations are corrupt and bribes are required to grease the skids.

I appreciate the cruise staff and so I try to be as respectful as possible. It is a difficult job that they do extremely well. I will continue to tip them in addition to the standard gratuity.

I completely agree. I don't know what was going on in Egypt at the time Cle-Guy is referring to, but I doubt it will be the case now and it certainly isn't the case in India, the Philippines etc. People from such countries live precarious lives. No free healthcare or health insurance, no pensions, so they have to plan for/fear a time when they can no longer work. If we were not there as Cruise ship passengers, then they wouldn't have these jobs (in which they are exploited by not being paid the same as American, British and European staff for equivalent work), so of course, in the great scheme of things, they want the jobs and we want the service. However, there is nothing wrong having compassion for the lives of others and giving that some thought.

I completely agree. I don't know what was going on in Egypt at the time Cle-Guy is referring to, but I doubt it will be the case now and it certainly isn't the case in India, the Philippines etc. People from such countries live precarious lives. No free healthcare or health insurance, no pensions, so they have to plan for/fear a time when they can no longer work. If we were not there as Cruise ship passengers, then they wouldn't have these jobs (in which they are exploited by not being paid the same as American, British and European staff for equivalent work), so of course, in the great scheme of things, they want the jobs and we want the service. However, there is nothing wrong having compassion for the lives of others and giving that some thought.

I was in Egypt all told about 6 months or so, living there for a month at a time. This was from about 2008 to 2012. Then the revolution.....I've been back since, and have several colleagues who regularly travel there. I'd happily visit again tomorrow should the opportunity present itself.

Life is the same now as 10 years ago for the common people living there. Not much has changed. The only issue is the reduced tourism has hit those who wok in the tourism industry hard, which is the bulk of Egypt's economy. The poorest of the poor, have no idea that anything has changed at all.

Egypt does provide healthcare and elder care, as so much of the living there is subsidized by the government, was is and will continue to be. Also the culture there is multiple generations living in a single household, so family takes care of family, when retirement and unemployment happen. If one happens to visit and notices books and blocks of what appear to be mid-range high rises with no roof on them that have not been painted and look like a mass construction site, in reality it's a simple village, by having no roof or paint, the home does not get assessed property taxes. As a new generation is born and folded into the family, a new floor os added to the home, this is why they don't always put roofs on and leave them looking unfinished, at some point in several years, they know they will add a new lever for new extended family.

Another data point, if visiting Egypt, any Egyptian cab driver will charge you $50 USD to get from the airport to the city center, about 45 minutes journey.

If you are an Egyptian and flag that same cab at the airport, they will take you home for EGP 10 or so, (about USD$1.31). So many cultures know very well how to make tourists feel guilty and overcharge and push for extras. A gallon of gas costs ~EGP 10, as it is so heavily subsidized by the government.

Until one lives in the culture and immerses themselves into it, it's really hard to have all the data necessary to begin to understand the economics of their lives. I found it fascinating.

The problem we americans have in these arguments, is we assume our lifestyle is the end all be all for the rest of the world, and we like to think the rest of the world needs to work like we do. It doesn't.

For US citizens, working on a Crusie ship is not going to make you rich, but will let you save your money. If you are hired on from the slums in India, you will be come RICH beyond your imagination after a few cruses.

Crusie ship work isn't; for everyone, if you have kids or family at home, not the best idea. If young and single, a great idea. Just likely a minimum wage McDonald's job should't be seen as a career if one wants to get rich, remaining a cabin steward on a ship isn't a lifelong career that will make you rich. Truth is some careers and jobs are meant for entry level staff and not as a way to provide for an entire family, others require time and experience in order to gain benefits and wages.

Each human no matter what country we re from, can make a decision to accept the pay scale, the benefits, and the difficulties with ship life. It's an individual decision, and not one I as an american citizen need to be making for another.

Ys crew spend some money while traveling, buying toiletries, clothing etc. These would still need purchased at home. And many ports provide discounts for crew of ships, so we can't assume all those come at a premium cost to the staff. I;ve been in NYC Times square, hanging with friends who are stagehands. go to any bar in the neighborhood, and as a theatre staff member, you drink 2 for 1 pricing. Walk in off the street as a tourist, you pay full price.

I;ve done work that required me to be at a venue at 8 am, stay till 10 pm, and do this for several weeks with no days off. Everyone chooses their own career and job, and takes both he perks and tot downfalls that come with it.

Who are we to be all high and mighty and so condescending that we need to take pity upon the poor, overworked cruise staff. Anyone of us who thinks our cabin steward is overworked, simply tell them next cruise you need no service the entire cruise, you'll just grab a few towels daily from them. Actually DO something about it, don't just talk about it.

When we consider wages of countries outside the US, we can;t just talk about currency converted to USD. You also need to consider government subsidies, local taxes, government provided insurance and services, local custom and commodity pricing. When I worked in Egypt for example, my staff received what they felt was a great wage - $200 a MONTH (yes, two-hundred a month). They had good clothes, iPhones etc. The government subsidized so much of their living expenses, their meager (compared to us) earned ages covered plenty of fun and allowed them to live as their peers lived.

Not that you need it said, but BRAVO!

On another note I have met those who have family back home, who are single, and who are married and their SO also works on the ship. All kinds doing an excellent job helping me have a wonderful vacation, just as I try to do an excellent job in my profession of keeping and growing cellular services across the U.S. We are all working hard for each other. And I have no problem giving extra money and respect to those who put forth an effort to do their job the best they can.

But agian I'm supposed to be on vacation. And while I find some of this conversation stimulating, some of it is taking me off topic on how to have the best vacation possible. Time for me to go.

TTFN

Edited by Chitown12562

I was in Egypt all told about 6 months or so, living there for a month at a time. This was from about 2008 to 2012. Then the revolution.....I've been back since, and have several colleagues who regularly travel there. I'd happily visit again tomorrow should the opportunity present itself.

Life is the same now as 10 years ago for the common people living there. Not much has changed. The only issue is the reduced tourism has hit those who wok in the tourism industry hard, which is the bulk of Egypt's economy. The poorest of the poor, have no idea that anything has changed at all.

Egypt does provide healthcare and elder care, as so much of the living there is subsidized by the government, was is and will continue to be. Also the culture there is multiple generations living in a single household, so family takes care of family, when retirement and unemployment happen. If one happens to visit and notices books and blocks of what appear to be mid-range high rises with no roof on them that have not been painted and look like a mass construction site, in reality it's a simple village, by having no roof or paint, the home does not get assessed property taxes. As a new generation is born and folded into the family, a new floor os added to the home, this is why they don't always put roofs on and leave them looking unfinished, at some point in several years, they know they will add a new lever for new extended family.

Another data point, if visiting Egypt, any Egyptian cab driver will charge you $50 USD to get from the airport to the city center, about 45 minutes journey.

If you are an Egyptian and flag that same cab at the airport, they will take you home for EGP 10 or so, (about USD$1.31). So many cultures know very well how to make tourists feel guilty and overcharge and push for extras. A gallon of gas costs ~EGP 10, as it is so heavily subsidized by the government.

Until one lives in the culture and immerses themselves into it, it's really hard to have all the data necessary to begin to understand the economics of their lives. I found it fascinating.

My point was really about India and the Philloppines.

The bottom line is, if the job were that great and the opportunity better than what hotel staff on land could expect, unemployed people from North America would apply in droves. I think most of us would just not have the energy, nor the demeanor to tolerate spoiled, entitled tourists without ever losing their cool.

My heart goes out to all of the staff on board, as not even the most glorified job on the ship is easy. I had several dinners with a cruise director on Azamara, and her phone was going off every 5 minutes. She could barely eat a bite before someone needed her to go off and do something. Someone I worked with at home used to work in Human Resources on a ship, and she said while on board, she never got more than 4 hours of sleep in a row.

I have to admit I keep a few 10's and 20's at the end of a cruise and slip them to people vacuuming the stairs, manning restrooms or cleaning the deck chairs. For the little that money means to me, it could mean a lot to someone exhausted and missing their family.

I'm sorry, but the above two statements (in red) are just ludicrous!

Respectfully Brenda, if you TRULY feel this way, then by all means STOP cruising and contributing to the misery of the poor staff! :eek:

I'm sorry, but the above two statements (in red) are just ludicrous!

Respectfully Brenda, if you TRULY feel this way, then by all means STOP cruising and contributing to the misery of the poor staff! :eek:

I don't agree Julia. I think Brenda's points are valid and I don't see them as reasons not to cruise. The staff need the jobs, many enjoy working for cruiselines (beauticians, bar staff etc) and we enjoy cruising. That doesn't preclude recognising that cruise staff work incredibly hard (especially those in the lower status jobs) and feeling for them.

I don't agree Julia. I think Brenda's points are valid and I don't see them as reasons not to cruise. The staff need the jobs, many enjoy working for cruiselines (beauticians, bar staff etc) and we enjoy cruising. That doesn't preclude recognising that cruise staff work incredibly hard (especially those in the lower status jobs) and feeling for them.

Respectfully, you needn't agree with me. I simply find it hypocritical for someone to say "their heart goes out to the poor staff" while utilizing said staff.

Yes, my heart goes out too.... to those stricken with cancer, or suffering from dementia or fallen by a stroke, for courageous military personnel striving to keep peace in this crazy world, or for those who don't have enough food or fresh water to sustain them. It certainly does not break for cruise ship employees who are gainfully employed by their own volition at a job of their own choosing. :(

Curt,

in some ways you are right but, there is always pressure to contnually raise the percentage on tipping...bar etc. if celebrity was made to deal with the issue of pay totally on it's own it takes out that aspect....we go back to 0% and just leave whatever we wish..or nothing. I don't have patients in my hospitals leaving tips to suppliment my wages...why shouldn't Celebrity deal with it the same way ?

Me, I go only with the auto gratuities, unless I get superior service, or ask a butler to do several parties. I have no qualms about not leaving additional cash, thus how I continue to bring to the front the value of the tips staff get and feel no guilt.

And i could care less if my cruise fare is $1000 plus $15/day gratuity x 7 days = $1105 or if my initial cabin fare is $1105 (well, actually this would likely become $1150 in order to cover the extra tax withholdings etc. on the wage base). However the company chooses to account for this amount makes no matter to me. If they want to "earmark" a portion and call it gratuities, so be it. If they want to mark a portion "port fees" so be it.

There are some taxes that are levied on "gross receipts" and others levied on "net profits". By itemizing out Gratuities on the invoice, they are in effect a reimbursement, and thus not considered "income" and as such, would not be subject to taxes levied on Gross Receipts. However, regardless of how gratuities are accounted for, the effect would be the same for taxes levied on Net Profits.

Another factor, would be if they took all tipped staff to standard wages, most other ship departments would see that as a pay raise, and not see it as just reallocating tips, so that could cause a lot of grief among staff groups.

The write-offs for lodging and other costs will happen either way. If they were subject to US tax laws, they would have to include the value of the provided room and board value into their paychecks, and levy standard taxes on that amount. However, ships don;t' follow US tax regulations relative to operations unless they are a US flagged ship, traveling from US to US ports only with no stops at foreign ports (typically this only happens in Hawaii).

Th "burden" of paying the staff gratuities is till on Celebrity with the gratuity payment system, they take our money and pay it out to staff. If it was included in the fare, they'd have our money, just not itemized it on our invoice, and pay it out to the staff.

Bottom line, what does it matter to anyone if my crusie fare is invoiced as:

$1000 cruise fare

$105 gratuities

------

$1105 Payment due

or

$1105 cabin fare

------

$1105 Payment due

It's the same either way. Anyone who wants a relaxing vacation and not to have to think of tipping while on board: prepay gratuities, which would have the exact same effect as if they were included in the cabin fare. Don't like to see the itemized gratuity amount, don't look at your itemized invoice, just look at your credit card statement for the payment. Problem solved.

Truth of the matter is, if cruise ships started paying their staff as if they were all US based employees, and following US based labor and wage regulations, the industry would cease to exist, we passengers would not be pleased with the fares we'd have to be charged and demand would plummet. Kind of like why there are just no 100% all inclusive resorts on US soil, while they are all over the caribbean. From reading various articles, this is why there are so few (perhaps only 1 single?) cruise ship that does cruises around Hawaii without calling on a "distant foreign port". There were more in the past, but it was too costly and demand too low, so most ships pulled out of Hawaii only cruises.

As a shareholder, the cruise line should be doing anything they can to ENHANCE profits, not take away from them. This would be fiduciarily irresponsible.

Don't you understand that no matter how it works, it's still YOU and I paying the tip, regardless if it's itemized out, or of cabin fares increased? You realize cabin fares need to increase exactly as much (likely even more due to tax implications) dollar for dollar versus us paying the auto amount? Also we can choose to pull tips if we are really so ticked pff by them (unless prepaid then they are final).

Respectfully, you needn't agree with me. I simply find it hypocritical for someone to say "their heart goes out to the poor staff" while utilizing said staff.

I didn't think I did need to agree with you. Last time I looked, this was a discussion forum. Saying I don't agree, followed by a reasonably expressed opinion would commonly be understood as participating in a discussion. No need to be snippy ;)

Yes, my heart goes out too.... to those stricken with cancer, or suffering from dementia or fallen by a stroke, for courageous military personnel striving to keep peace in this crazy world, or for those who don't have enough food or fresh water to sustain them. It certainly does not break for cruise ship employees who are gainfully employed by their own volition at a job of their own choosing. :(

Based on you logic, I don't understand how your heart can go out to the military. They are "gainfully employed by their own violition at a job of their own choosing." Thanks for being the arbiter of who should receive our sympathies. By the way I am sympathetic to the military and the hard working cruise staff as well many other individuals.

Based on you logic, I don't understand how your heart can go out to the military. They are "gainfully employed by their own violition at a job of their own choosing." Thanks for being the arbiter of who should receive our sympathies. By the way I am sympathetic to the military and the hard working cruise staff as well many other individuals.

Not being snippy here, but millions of military in the world were DRAFTED, and fought and perished in wars NOT of their choosing, my relatives included.

Not trying to arbitrate anyone's sympathies, but if someone feels THAT strongly that cruise ship personnel are so poorly treated, then perhaps they should not support the industry. Just saying.... :eek:

nobody has been drafted in the US since Viet Nam

Not being snippy here, but millions of military in the world were DRAFTED, and fought and perished in wars NOT of their choosing, my relatives included.

Not trying to arbitrate anyone's sympathies, but if someone feels THAT strongly that cruise ship personnel are so poorly treated, then perhaps they should not support the industry. Just saying.... :eek:

Yes, the draft applied 40 years ago but I think this twist fits your narrative even though your original post was talking about today's troops. I don't think we are suggesting that Celebrity is treating their staff poorly. However, the reality is that they work long hours, far away from home while providing impeccable service. Many are separated from their family for great periods of time. They and/or their families that come from 3rd world countries still face 3rd world problems. i respect and applaud what they are doing but I do sympathize with some of the hurdles they face.

Curt,

in some ways you are right but, there is always pressure to contnually raise the percentage on tipping...bar etc. if celebrity was made to deal with the issue of pay totally on it's own it takes out that aspect....we go back to 0% and just leave whatever we wish..or nothing. I don't have patients in my hospitals leaving tips to suppliment my wages...why shouldn't Celebrity deal with it the same way ?

Because some careers and jobs have customs that come with them. Hospitality and service staff are often tipped. It's been that way so far as I can recall. And as I noted in my prior reply, there are tax advantages to the corporation to earmarking gratuities as a line item on invoices rather than lumping in the cabin fare number when it comes to taxes levied on Gross receipts versus net Profits. This alone would mean including the gratuity in the cabin fare would mean the fare would go up even more than the gratuity amount, on order to cover the taxes on the gross receipts value of the gratuities included.

Doctors can't even tell a patient in most cases what their health care is going to cost up front, so there is no way to add an automatic tip. :D (sorry -- my pet peeve when dealing with my doctors, they never know what a procedure costs, they always say only billing will know and it varies based on insurance and other factors.......though they can give estimates)

I don't get tips from my customers either, but I didn't choose a career where it is customary to pay a meager salary and have it made up in tips.

There pressure to increase tipping over time, is no different than the pressure to raise fixed wages over time. Both will result in the same end.

nobody has been drafted in the US since Viet Nam

You do know that there is more to the world than the US, right? :rolleyes: Re-read the post, they were referring to the world not the US --> "millions of military in the world were DRAFTED"

Yes, the draft applied 40 years ago but I think this twist fits your narrative even though your original post was talking about today's troops. I don't think we are suggesting that Celebrity is treating their staff poorly. However, the reality is that they work long hours, far away from home while providing impeccable service. Many are separated from their family for great periods of time. They and/or their families that come from 3rd world countries still face 3rd world problems. i respect and applaud what they are doing but I do sympathize with some of the hurdles they face.
Absolutely, and sympathising, doesn't make a cruiser a hypocrite as Julia said.

We sailed Millie on the 11th deck Aqua for 38 days and on that deck there were 2 Stewards and each had an assistant. I checked on the floor plan and it appears each team was responsible for 21 rooms.

Our Steward never seemed to be rushed or frantic and he had an assistant change when we hit Sydney, we did notice him spending more time giving direction to his new assistant but he always had time to chat with us and other guests or stop and open the cabin door for my wife if the opportunity presented it self.