Jumping Ship from P&O

Makes a change from jumping from Thomson to P & O lol!!!!!

Can't speak for P & O but we have loved all 5 of our Thomson cruises and will be back for more later this year.

May be older ships with less facilities but the number of port days and fantastic crew make us keep returning.

Certainly the port intensive itineraries are a huge plus for Thomson. Entertainment, crew and ambience are the best we've experienced on any cruise line.

I know the ships are older but I don't subscribe to the view that that is necessarily bad. Provided the ships are well maintained, refurbished to attractive standards of internal decor and kept very clean (again this is something where Thomson excel imo compared with others) the age is not an issue for me. (Upholstery on the Azura for example last month was more worn in the Planet Bar than any I've seen on any ship! Comparatively new ship but not a good look!)

However having sampled ships from other cruise lines I do think that a slightly bigger ship with a more modern design as is the case with the Splendor has advantages. It provides more spaces for varied activities and eating options for example, balconies also a proper theatre with good sight-lines and spacious pool decks. I like the look of Thomson's new acquisition and would be happy to try it out. I do suspect it will quickly put the other ships in the fleet in the shade though as we begin to appreciate the design advantages. (And the even the really new ships still have very similar design features just with a variety of modern twists and interior design but I'm not enamoured of the big ships so this size will do me fine.)

But, and there is a but - Thomson will have to ensure that service (adequate crew) and food match the standard of their competitors especially if, as I suspect will be the case, their pricing won't be any cheaper. I'd give it a whirl on the basis of the pluses and hope Thomson deliver on what they provide on board. If they get that right I think the new ship will be very popular.

We tried Ventura last year and felt the food was better than Thomson. We didn't think the public areas were cleaned as well as on any Thomson cruise we have done, the service was aloof, the entertainment staff anonymous and with the ship being some 3000 pax, we didn't really get to know anyone. However, value for money is important to us so saver fares on P & O seem to be very competitive.

We tried Ventura last year and felt the food was better than Thomson. We didn't think the public areas were cleaned as well as on any Thomson cruise we have done, the service was aloof, the entertainment staff anonymous and with the ship being some 3000 pax, we didn't really get to know anyone. However, value for money is important to us so saver fares on P & O seem to be very competitive.

I would agree with your comments entirely. It mirrors our impression of the P&O ships we've been on.

We have been on the Splendor and she is a lovely ship. The one thing that will make her stand out in the future is Thomson staff.

We have been several times with Thomsons ( and other lines ), yes Thomson's ships are older but they have consistently had some of the friendliest staff we have ever encountered.

Mike

We have been on the Splendor and she is a lovely ship. The one thing that will make her stand out in the future is Thomson staff.

We have been several times with Thomsons ( and other lines ), yes Thomson's ships are older but they have consistently had some of the friendliest staff we have ever encountered.

Mike

Let's really hope that doesn't change with the Apollo Agency providing the staff.

Been on Oceana twice, an NCL, and about a dozen times on Thomson.

You say P&O standards have been slipping, it's been the same with Thomson over the years too. I bet most regulars on the various forums would say the same of their cruise line.

The staff however are still Thomson's best asset, and it's that which makes the cruise for us, not fancy robot bartenders or water parks.

I would say the food is around the same on both but Thomson entertainment is far superior. We are back on Oceana on Sunday so will report back re these issues and the aloof staff we have encountered on there before.

Lets see if we can get some to crack a smile this time :D

Well we are going the other way, also cruising on P&O on Sunday. As Joe says lots of moaning about slipping standards on all boards. As you can see we have done about half our cruises onThomson. Have to say most staff are friendly on all ships. Still love Thomsons but can also recommend Fred.Olsen & Princess.

Been on Oceana twice, an NCL, and about a dozen times on Thomson.

You say P&O standards have been slipping, it's been the same with Thomson over the years too. I bet most regulars on the various forums would say the same of their cruise line.

The staff however are still Thomson's best asset, and it's that which makes the cruise for us, not fancy robot bartenders or water parks.

I would say the food is around the same on both but Thomson entertainment is far superior. We are back on Oceana on Sunday so will report back re these issues and the aloof staff we have encountered on there before.

Lets see if we can get some to crack a smile this time :D

Just get your ducks out Joe - they'll be sure to smile ;) ;)

Let's really hope that doesn't change with the Apollo Agency providing the staff.

Yes Juliesmiles, you like the Apollo agency dont you.

s lots of moaning about slipping standards on all boards.

Agreed Linda, but the ones who complain the most are the P&O boards for some reason.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
lynnsmiles all the time

To be honest i'm surprised at the defence of the Staff on Thomson , in January on the Dream i found them to be polite and reasonably friendly , but no more so than the staff i've encountered with other cruise lines and in all honesty they were a million miles behind the staff i had previously encountered on the old Thomson Destiny 4/5 years ago , the food i also thought poor , the restuarant lacked any atmosphere and the Baked Alaska Parade was a damp squib as the restuarant was less than half full.

The assistant cruise director openly calling passengers "moaning minnies" didn't go down well either , after a poor experience its doubtful i'll cruise with Thomson again , the cruise itself was a dreadful letdown for our 25th Wedding Anniversary thank god we had a week in Jamaica to make up for it - the really sad thing is that when asked about our holiday , we don't mention the cruise and we never took one photograph onboard , only when we were out and about at a port (all two of them !!!)