Rotterdam to Norway

Linda-E

Looking at this cruise for late August. There are few reviews of this ship in Europe so it's hard to know what to expect. We are frequent Celebrity and Princess cruisers, but have had good experiences on two HAL Caribbean cruises in the past.

The ms Rotterdam sails from Rotterdam to Eidfjord, Alesund, Gerainger and Bergen. What are the must-dos in these ports? What type of entertainment and menus can we expect on this Netherlands-based ship? I know HAL has a liberal smoking policy - will this be an issue for us enjoying our balcony?

Thanks.

I am so envious of you, the cruise you are planning sounds like it will be amazing. I have visited Norway 8 times, on land, and visited all ofmfhemPorts you mentioned, with the exception of Edifjord......they are all amazing places to visit but probably my two favorite are Geiranger and Bergan...just be ready with your camera at all times. A land option that was a wonderful trip was something called Norway in a Nutshell. if you ever see that listed as an option as an excursion, it is something NOT TO MISS !! In Geirangerfjord be sure you take an excursion on a small boat thru the fjord and learn amazing things about the area....Norway has a charm that exists everywhere you go, you will be so happy with your choice to cruise there. I have family there besides an adopted exchange student family so i always spend two weeks at a time there, and am always sad to leave....

Menus will be international like in any other cruise. Also entertainment with maybe a dutch singer one night. A majority of passengers wiill be dutch, many of them speak some or good english. Smoking on balcony is still allowed on HAL, so that depend on your neighbours.

Geiranger is awesome as is sailing to and from there through the fjord.

In Alesund there is a hop on/off bus right in front of the dock. It brings you to Mt. Aksla, great viewpoint.

Bergen also has hop on bus, one of the stops is the Floybahn funiculair.

We sailed that itinerary (Norse Legends) last June, and loved it so much that we are booked on the alternate week (Viking Sagas) this summer. You can find port details in the Ports of Call section - we loved every stop. Geiranger and Eidfjord are small villages at the end of majestic fjords, with Geiranger being particularly stunning. Hiking, waterfalls, beautiful vistas abound - we focused on the outdoors activities, but HAL also offers sightseeing excursions to the region.

Bergen and Alesund are cities, but the great outdoors are not far away in either. In Bergen we explored the Bryggen wharf and fortress, then headed up the funicular to explore the incredible old growth forest above the city. On the way back to the ship we ate lunch at the fish market, right near the docks and featuring some of the freshest salmon you will ever taste. In Alesund we explored a Norwegian folk museum and the art deco waterfront.

Food on board was traditionally international cuisine, with some Norwegian dishes added to the mix. Entertainment was varied - shows, classical music quartets, a magician, etc. We loved the midsize ship feel and the many quiet areas to read--such as the library--while taking in the sights.

All in all it was an incredible cruise to some of the most stunning scenery on earth.