NCL Sky 9/28 Sailing has been cancelled

drhall

If you weren't aware or were planning to book for this sailing, the NCL Sky 9/28 - 10/2 sailing out of Miami has been cancelled. A private group has chartered the ship that week. This is per Norwegian Customer Service today.

I booked the cruise last month and have already made travel arrangements for the sailing. Hopefully NCL agrees with me that a credit is in order in this situation..

Sigh.

You will probably get the standard $50 for the inconvience - for everything else, that is why travel insurances exist.

ETA: Six or more months before is pretty standard timeframe for charter announcements - nothing special there. I know it can be PITA but they are entitled to do that according to the contract you have agreed to.

Edited by Demonyte

OP, did NCL call you? Email you? How exactly were you notified? I'm booked for the Sky (a different week but similar time frame) and so if the ship does become chartered how might I hear about it soonest to modify my trip plans? Thanks, sorry your plans got wrenched but you have a bunch of time to find something else. Not sure how they will take care of you, but I do hope they do something for you. Let us know how it works out.

A friend in the Sky rollcall got an email saying it was cancelled and told me. I checked my email to no avail, so I called NCL customer service directly and they confirmed it was chartered for that week and I would have to rebook for any sailing besides New Years. Contacted my travel agent and they confirmed it, also, and started processing the refund.

I am very fortunate that we've got plenty of time to rebook and that I am not out any cash...but the Sky was a tremendous value for what I wanted (good price, UBP, ideal time frame) so it looks like I will be booking on a totally different ship--such as the Getaway. Very frustrating.

I will let you know what/if NCL does to take care of me.

Looks like this is who came in and booked the ship

http://www.motorheadcruise.com/

This cruise was for my wedding and it was very frustrating to have to get 30 people onto a new ship as well as alter the date of the wedding. Thankfully it all worked out, but a measly $25 credit is pretty pathetic. I understand that this is in the terms, but I had no idea it was even an option at the time of booking. Thankfully it worked out.

I understand that this is in the terms, but I had no idea it was even an option at the time of booking. Thankfully it worked out.

Unfortunately all cruise lines will charter a ship in a heartbeat if they get the opportunity - much better (and guaranteed) money flow than on regular scheduled cruises, this is the fact that we need to live with regardless of the company in question. Happy that you got things sorted out though.

Agreed.

Why would the cruise line risk selling 60% of their ship on their own (at whatever rates..high, low, etc), if a charter group will come in and pay 90% of their possible revenue..today and guarantee a fully booked ship? It's a no brainer to affect a few cruises for the booking of hundreds, but it unfortunately leaves us to fend for ourselves.

I built in 3 solid days between my ceremony and the honeymoon (this cruise) but now it's looking more like 21 hours from "I do" to "Bon Voyage". VERY glad that you got your wedding worked out, though!