Been in Riviera 7108 recently?

jazznruby

I'd read an old post regarding crew elevator noise affecting 7108, more than other nearby cabins. We've booked 7108 for April 2016 transatlantic. We always enjoy our balcony, so have decided to risk possible noise for larger space with double railings (and yes, being "on stage" as has also been noted.:D) And we're not the voyeuristic types, so won't be peering into others' cabins.

Was just wondering about more recent experiences.

I'm the one who posted the report about the crew elevator noise; we sailed in 7108 on Marina's maiden voyage. My report was about Marina; I've not sailed in that cabin on Riviera.

I've not been back there since, and no one else on CC has reported anything, so I don't know if it's still true or not. At that time, it wasn't a noise from the elevator itself, but a harmonic vibration created by the elevator that resonated through the structure to that cabin. The unusual thing is that I'm highly tolerant of shipboard noise, sleep like a log, and would never have mentioned it if it was not unusually disturbing. Perhaps they have found a way to place a damper on the source since then?

Also, I'm the one who posted about feeling like a voyeur, because when I turned around, I could look into the balconies of at least 10 other cabins, and into the cabins themselves if their curtains were open. Of course. I went to extreme lengths to avoid peeking, but I'm very self-conscious and felt like all those neighbors were sure I WAS peeking. If you are more self-assured, it most likely wouldn't bother you.

Other than that, we enjoyed the cabin very much. Because it was the maiden voyage and we were the first to occupy the cabin, I laid on my back under the desk and signed and dated the underside of the drawer (this on Marina).

Edited by hondorner

Anybody out there who's sailed on Riviera, 7108 recently who can speak to aforementioned issues with noise from crew elevator?

Other comments?

Thanks.

Hello Jazznruby:

We recently (2/28/15) finished up our Sydney to Auckland cruise on the Marina and were in 7108. You can definitely hear noise, staff conversations/movements coming from that area. The crew are just doing what needs to be done. However, the only time it was really bothersome was late one evening, trying to get to sleep and two crew members were carrying on a long winded conversation and made no attempt to lower their voices. I actually got out of bed, opened the door to see a crew member sitting in the entry way to that area conversing with the other, I asked if they could please lower their voices. They continued with their conversation. This was an isolated incident. If you are a light sleeper, the noise from crew movements may bother you, if not I wouldn't worry about it. We enjoyed the extended veranda and enjoyed our neighbors to the side and above us. Enjoy your cruise and safe travels.

Best regards,

Maria

Thanks so much for your input. We're still holding 7108, and will, in all probability, keep it, as I think, the positives outweigh the negatives i.e. sunnier balcony, brighter cabin, more space, better view. I will say, however, if it's late, I'm trying to sleep, and crew refuses to "keep it down", I'd likely be calling the front desk to ask for their help. I certainly understand the noise caused by them doing their jobs; just seems that, given proximity to guest cabins, they could/should make an effort to keep it quieter during later hours. Just sayin'.

Thanks again, and Happy Cruising to all!

I certainly hope you enjoy the extended veranda, we certainly did; request loungers ahead of time. We had no trouble getting them and so nice with the larger veranda. We experienced none of the often mentioned "downsides" to the extended verandas, no feeling of being in a tunnel, no sea spray/salt on the veranda, no out of the ordinary wind conditions (you're on a beautiful ship, wonderful cruise, you are at sea, so what's a little wind in your hair!), had no feelings at all of people watching us, we thoroughly enjoyed all our neighbors and if you want some privacy just move back a little. I hope you love it and enjoy your upcoming cruises...so so nice in those sunny climates! Happy cruising, safe travels and best regards.

Maria

soon they will be raising the prices for those balcony cabins :D

maybe a B1 next

Well I'm awfully glad I managed to snag one for our upcoming cruise while they are still B3s! :D Honestly I can't understand why they aren't a higher category. I consider them superior to even a Concierge level cabin...we couldn't find anything in the Concierge level that seemed preferable over the extra balcony space.

Of course others may feel differently, and consider the "negatives" (wind, spray, less privacy, tunnel vision) to outweigh the positives. I can't speak to any of it yet, but I'll be sure to post my thoughts upon my return.

++1 for the extended balcony....

We had the 7111 when it was a B4. It was such a great plus to have the larger balcony that when they changed the category to a B3 we were not surprised.

We would have loved to book it again but now that the words out, they are rarely available. Have a great trip:)

Hi canuck.qc,

I was hoping you'd post here. I enjoyed your photos of 7111 on another thread. They were largely responsible for my husband and me deciding on 7108 for our April '16 transatlantic. Have gone back to look at them often.

So, did you experience any inordinate noise? That's the only thing I have any concern about at all, since we're accustomed to far aft, sometimes aft facing, very quiet cabins on every cruise that we've taken (14 of 'em). No concerns about anything else that's been mentioned.

As far as pricing going up for these extended balconies, entirely possible, just as pricing went up for the aft facing cabins after the secret was out. We were lucky to have enjoyed them when no one wanted to be back there, and pricing was the same as other aft cabins. Supply and demand, you know. :(

Hi canuck.qc,

I was hoping you'd post here. I enjoyed your photos of 7111 on another thread. They were largely responsible for my husband and me deciding on 7108 for our April '16 transatlantic. Have gone back to look at them often.

So, did you experience any inordinate noise? That's the only thing I have any concern about at all, since we're accustomed to far aft, sometimes aft facing, very quiet cabins on every cruise that we've taken (14 of 'em). No concerns about anything else that's been mentioned.

As far as pricing going up for these extended balconies, entirely possible, just as pricing went up for the aft facing cabins after the secret was out. We were lucky to have enjoyed them when no one wanted to be back there, and pricing was the same as other aft cabins. Supply and demand, you know. :(

Bonjour,

We found absolutely no negatives regarding this cabin(7111). The open side was nice for the views, the extra loungers were great for siestas. I never felt looked upon from above plus one would have to purposefully look/lean over to look into other cabins. When you are sitting nearer the door, it is as private as the regular size verandas. There is a partition on both sides to protect from the wind.

We did not hear inordinate noise, no elevator noises, some occasional noise from a staff door nearby, across the hall, only in the a.m. . Not inconvenienced because we where up preparing for breakfast by then.

This cabin is, in my opinion, a great value.

I wish we could of had this cabin for our Tahiti cruise or any extended B. they are popular.

I'll keep a look out for your review.

Bonjour,

We found absolutely no negatives regarding this cabin(7111). The open side was nice for the views, the extra loungers were great for siestas. I never felt looked upon from above plus one would have to purposefully look/lean over to look into other cabins. When you are sitting nearer the door, it is as private as the regular size verandas. There is a partition on both sides to protect from the wind.

We did not hear inordinate noise, no elevator noises, some occasional noise from a staff door nearby, across the hall, only in the a.m. . Not inconvenienced because we where up preparing for breakfast by then.

I wish we could of had this cabin for our Tahiti cruise or any extended B. they are popular.

Merci beaucoup!

Jan

• 4 weeks later...
Bonjour,

Hi, I noticed you may have tried to respond to a post of mine looking for advice that was deleted re finding resources to compare TAs with strong O connections.

Any chance to help enlighten a fellow traveler? I'm frustrated as I feel my post was well crafted with valid questions while still considering others sensitivities.

I'm only trying to increase my knowledge base to allow me to perhaps cruise more!

Edited by alaala

Hi, I noticed you may have tried to respond to a post of mine looking for advice that was deleted re finding resources to compare TAs with strong O connections.

Any chance to help enlighten a fellow traveler? I'm frustrated as I feel my post was well crafted with valid questions while still considering others sensitivities.

I'm only trying to increase my knowledge base to allow me to perhaps cruise more!

If your post was asking about finding TAs, that's why it was deleted. Cruise Critic does not allow discussions about Travel Agents, or referrals, or comparisons, or questions about which agent to use or anything of that nature.

From the Community Guidelines:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.