Pricing question under current promotion

GirlGamer001

I'm looking at a cruise that is labeled with the 3rd and 4th guests half price icon. The cruise is $199/person. When I try to book with 3 people in the room, the first two are $199 and the 3rd is $169.50. I'm failing to understand how $169.50 is half of $199. What am I missing?

It's half off from the regular price of 3rd -8th persons. It has nothing to do with what passengers 1 and 2 pay.

Edit: The regular price of 3rd and up can be more than first two when the ship is filling out and they rather sell more cabins than have a lot of cabins with more than two persons and have to leave some cabins completely empty because of the lifeboat capacity in specific areas.

Edited by Demonyte

I am completely new to NCL so this might be totally wrong. On other lines if the 3rd and 4th people are discounted they still pay port taxes etc. the cruise is quite cheap anyway, so just thinking a high portion of that might be port taxes. This would be the case on MSC.

With the new kids sail 50% off, the promo is very deceiving. NCL is giving you 50% off the rack rate for 3/4 passenger. In my opinion, it's very used car sales like. On the last cruise we booked (with this promo), it ended up being cheaper to split up into 2 cabins vs 4 people sharing 1.

I believe it's all about selling cabins. With so many cabins to sell every week in their inventory, there really is no benefit to ncl to have more than 2 in a cabin.

In my opinion OP, you'd be better off booking 2 cabins. It's double the obc from your ta. Good luck!

Keep in mind also that the 3rd -8th guest rate is the same in any cabin on the ship for that same date/ship. So it may be a great deal in some cabins, and then not so great in others. Getting 2 cabins at times does make more sense, always check the pricing both ways on the cabin types you're looking at.

Everyone pays the taxes, even on those dates where the 3rd-8th guest have no cruise fare.

Edited by Got Tequila?

I am completely new to NCL so this might be totally wrong. On other lines if the 3rd and 4th people are discounted they still pay port taxes etc. the cruise is quite cheap anyway, so just thinking a high portion of that might be port taxes. This would be the case on MSC.

The price mentioned above does not include taxes and fees, they are in addition to that price.

The Jade cruise we booked for October had the 3rd and 4th person at £48! No taxes on top. Think we got a great bargain. I didn't even know there was a promotion, just priced the cruise and discovered it was very cheap if we shared a cabin. Our teen boys are not delighted by the prospect of sharing but delighted to be at sea :)