Post your best cruise picture

Henrik_Keller

A loose propeller.

Slightly confused auto pilot.

LOL!!

Hubby & I came up with a LOT of these kinds of reasons while standing there at the back of the ship!

They just seem to fit! :D:p:D

But I'm sure there is a real reason.

Maybe I should have posted this on the 'funny picture' thread! HA!:p

These shots were taken from the Lido deck at the end of the Full Throttle (20+ knot) U-turn on the Grand Princess 2/4/06.

Wow, that seems unusual - is there a story behind the 20+ knot U-turn?

I looked at the Grand Princess 2/4/06 thread but didn't see anything about it.

I recall that recent field experiments have shown that inside the Kelvin wake of a moving ship there can be two soliton-like envelopes, which extend to a long distance behind the ship. The source mechanism of these solitons has so far been attributed to the steady advance of a ship. In this note we suggest that ship oscillations, induced by ambient sea waves, provide a more plausible explanation for the initiation. Reducing the two-dimensional nonlinear Schrodinger equation to a simple form, we use existing theories to predict the wave envelopes in the far wake of a travelling ship in heave or pitch oscillations. While available data are insufficient to give a conclusive check of the theory, qualitative relevance can not be discounted.

I recall that recent field experiments have shown that inside the Kelvin wake of a moving ship there can be two soliton-like envelopes, which extend to a long distance behind the ship. The source mechanism of these solitons has so far been attributed to the steady advance of a ship. In this note we suggest that ship oscillations, induced by ambient sea waves, provide a more plausible explanation for the initiation. Reducing the two-dimensional nonlinear Schrodinger equation to a simple form, we use existing theories to predict the wave envelopes in the far wake of a travelling ship in heave or pitch oscillations. While available data are insufficient to give a conclusive check of the theory, qualitative relevance can not be discounted.

Is Professor Irwin Corey on this board?

small.jpg

Way too early for me to digest all that...and it's almost noon!! In fact, I'm not sure I'll ever understand it, no matter what time of day it is :o

I'll try and explain this in layman's terms!

2341543490104346996S600x600Q85.jpg

The qualitative features of this pattern are preserved if the point like disturbance is replaced by a disturbance of finite spatial extent which is more suitable to describe a real ship. However, the region around the ship and behind the ship up to a distance of several shiplengths (local wave disturbance region) shows a complex combination of breaking waves, bow and stern waves, very much depending on the speed, the shape and the propulsion system of the ship. The distribution of waves amplitudes behind the local disturbance region (free wave pattern region) depends on the ship as well. Thus, e.g., either the transverse or the diverging waves may dominate, and the cusp line may be more or less prominent. When the depth D approaches U2 /g, the wedge widens: For D=2V2/g , the wake angle is b=20.5° and for D=1.2 V2/g, b>35° , eventually approaching 90° at the singularity. D= V2/g (Havelock, 1908). For shallow water which in this context is defined by D<2V2/g, the wave pattern is very different: There are no transverse waves, and no cusp lines. The divergent waves form a wedge whose half angle depends on the water depth and on the speed of the ship, sinb=(gh)0.5/V.

WHATS NOT TO UNDERSTAND! (i looked it up on the internets)

2766569380104346996S600x600Q85.jpg

I'll try and explain this in layman's terms!

[/url]

The qualitative features of this pattern are preserved if the point like disturbance is replaced by a disturbance of finite spatial extent which is more suitable to describe a real ship. However, the region around the ship and behind the ship up to a distance of several shiplengths (local wave disturbance region) shows a complex combination of breaking waves, bow and stern waves, very much depending on the speed, the shape and the propulsion system of the ship. The distribution of waves amplitudes behind the local disturbance region (free wave pattern region) depends on the ship as well. Thus, e.g., either the transverse or the diverging waves may dominate, and the cusp line may be more or less prominent. When the depth D approaches U2 /g, the wedge widens: For D=2V2/g , the wake angle is b=20.5° and for D=1.2 V2/g, b>35° , eventually approaching 90° at the singularity. D= V2/g (Havelock, 1908). For shallow water which in this context is defined by D<2V2/g, the wave pattern is very different: There are no transverse waves, and no cusp lines. The divergent waves form a wedge whose half angle depends on the water depth and on the speed of the ship, sinb=(gh)0.5/V.

WHATS NOT TO UNDERSTAND! (i looked it up on the internets)

Yeah, what he said.:confused:

Edited by judynorth

a-tx, not at all, you must have the software to edit pictures. I was asked if we were moving when I took that one, I said yes,& he was surprised I was able to get that without any motion. Camera Canon A 520.

I will post one more I really like of a group of Dolphin during our tour in Kona.

Gay So Calif

I read somewhere that many people from Minnesota are geniuses. :p

I know we have very good school systems throughout the state.

Could this be a corelation?

COOL! We're going to MN in July 2009 for a trip thru WI, IA, MN and SD

I need to meet some smart people after having a 9 yr old and 14 yr old LOL