Itinerary

dewla

Hi Dewla:

In our opinion, Virgin Gorda wins hands down. We were in Barbados in January 2004. Found the town crowded and dirty and the locals less than friendly. Beaches we saw not that great either. Bought some great emeralds though. In March of 2005 were in Virgin Gorda on SeaDream. Great time, got to the Baths early before the hordes, lovely beaches, friendly locals. All in, a highlight of our cruise. Would definately go there again. Have a great cruise and be sure to post a review. Helps us poor folks between cruises get by.

Jim.

Thanks!! Here are the two choices:

(1) St. Thomas, St. John, VIrgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, Saba, St. Bart's, Anguilla, St, Martin....

Or (2) Barbados, St.Vincent's, Grenadines, Bequia, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Martin, Jost Van Dyke, ending in St. Thomas....

HELP!!

Thanks! Wow, you have done the 1st option twice?? Why didn't you do a different itinerary the 2nd time? I am so torn!! We actually booked the first one, but our travel agent said they would probbaly let us switch if we want to...

I like the idea of being in the port of St. Thomas and St. Bart's overnight, and have always wanted to go to Virgin Gorda.

I am not so familiar with the southern islands in the 2nd option, but it does cover a lot more geography.

Why is the decision so hard!?!? LOL!!

We are hoping this is a really special vacation, and want to pick the best itinerary. We have been to St. Thomas (via large cruise line) twice and also St. Martin.

And Anguilla for a week.

We haev not been to ANY of the other isalnds on either itinerary!

Are the islands in the 2nd option prettier than the first? Or are the all similar??

WIll write about it whichever we choose...

Dewla -

We were already booked on Sea Dream II on a cruise somewhat more similiar in stops to your option 2 when Sea Dream moved the ship to the Mexican Riviera. Having spent a great deal of time in Cancun, Cozumel and the surrounding area, we didn't want to change our non-refundable airfare (already booked) at the time the ship was repositioned. So we changed to Sea Dream I and stayed in the Caribbean. We are glad we did as several of the Sea Dream II cruises encountered rough water. Management repositioned the ship back to the Southern Caribbean itinerary (your option 2). We're seriously considering your option 2 but since hubbie is a teacher we run the risk of hitting the dreaded holiday crowds.

There's some really good information about the various ports on your first option in another Sea Dream thread. But the ship is so great (the service and the champagne) I usually stay on board by the pool on a repeat island (unless there is really good snorkeling) but my husband loves to get off and wander the shops.

You will have a great time either way.

FT

But the ship is so great (the service and the champagne) I usually stay on board by the pool on a repeat island (unless there is really good snorkeling) but my husband loves to get off and wander the shops.

You will have a great time either way.

FT

Too funny, we both think the ship looks so incredible, it is more of an interest than the places we will go! Thus why the southern one looks a little tempting, more time at sea, and the islands are reputed to be more beautiful from the ocean.....hey unlimited champagne and Ketel One martinis and they all look alike!

Did you find the Virgin (and the rest) ports very crowded? They seem to be easier to get to than the southern route. Although Saba is a very special place and very hard to get to!

Cannot wait to go!!

On our first SD cruise (my employer chartered the entire ship), no port was crowded except for St. Thomas -- a number of large ships were in the days we left and returned.

On the second cruise - the Easter holiday nightmare cruise with "Brats Gone Wild" - the ports may have been more crowded but we seemed to hit the ports the day after a big ship had left. There was no one on SABA that day except us (with a limited number of buses/cabs if more than one ship tenders in - there would be no way to handle). On SABA, I wish we had done the morning hike (but with a late night before, just weren't up to handling).

On St. Bart's the downtown area can be a little crowded at lunch time, but again, we hit 4 or 5 beaches each time and had a great lunch (hated paying for any meal off SD but didn't want to go back).

I absolutely hate crowds and will avoid at all costs, but with the exception of Jost Van Dyke (again, Saturday before Easter when a lot of folks from Puerto Rico motored over) & The Baths (again, your SD cruise director can usually arrange departure to get you there early, as long as you don't have to wait on perpetually late co-passengers) never seemed to be a factor.

The absolute worst was the St. Thomas airport on Easter Sunday -- a couple of bomb threats - made the usual delays go to 3 hrs -- leave yourself plenty of time (take a cold bottle of champagne from the Sea Dream and enjoy once you clear security!!)

I love the SD experience (when without kids) so much that I'm making the Atlantic crossing in October -- 13 days from Tenerife to West Palm Beach with no stops along the way!!!

Counting down the days,

FT

Hi Teresa:

Congrats on the transatlantic. Have made many crossings on Cunard and we always love the sea days. The most relaxation you will likely ever get. Also, enjoy some of the best air on the planet mid ocean. Breathe deeply. Great therapy. Look forward to your review as we also would like to do a crossing. Not this year though, all travel used up or spoken for. Also, thanks for the kind offer of hurricane shelter. We feel very fortunate that Katrina spared us after the 4 storms last year. Feel very deeply the destruction to the west though. Come on winter.

All the best,

Jim & Lois

Dewla, we are doing the RT from Barbados in Jan 06. All new islands for us and similar to your option 2, except that we don't do Antigua, St. Martin or Jost (we did all those in Nov 04 and particularly liked Jost). We also add Grenada and more time in the Vincents/Grenadines (Union Island). I think the southern caribbean is perhaps less traveled?

We spent our honeymoon in Barbados 18 years ago -- Bridgetown wasn't the greatest then, but the rest of the island was lovely - as were the people. We're staying at the Bouganvilla resort for three days -- we now ALWAYS fly in at least a day before a cruise, after a potentially bad experience a few years ago trying to get to Miami in a snowstorm.

Also stayed at Frenchman's Reef after the first SD cruise. Very expensive food and the room needed work -- however, a hurricane had gone through not too long before and destroyed the tennis courts, so there was a lot of repair going on.

I think you'll like whichever itinerary you choose!

Vandrefalk

Archived